· Total Members: 835
· Newest Member: ppitarch
Member Poll
There are no polls defined.
View Thread
 Print Thread
Marvelous Marvin Hagler vs. Harry Mallin
DaveP
This great game hasn't found its way onto my tabletop for a long time, so here we go with Marvelous Marvin Hagler (his legal name!) vs. English middleweight Harry Mallin, Olympic gold medalist from the 1920s. I wanted to match a top defensive boxer against the champ, and Mallin's AA Defense rating should provide a good challenge for Hagler.

i.imgur.com/UsbonrM.jpg
i.imgur.com/mHWzwGS.jpg

-----------------

Round 1: Effective defense by Mallin, an even round.
Round 2: Surprising round by Mallin, lands a solid punch on Hagler that might have knocked down a lesser boxer.
Round 3: Slight edge to Hagler this round, but Mallin still looking strong.
Round 4: Dominant round for Hagler.
Round 5: Not much action in this round.
Round 6: Strong round Hagler.
Round 7: Mallin comes back, opens a cut under Hagler's right eye.
Round 8: Foul on Mallin for holding and hitting.
Round 9: Mallin tiring, good round for Hagler.
Round 10: Dominant round for Hagler.

Judge 1: 97-93, Hagler
Judge 2: 97-93, Hagler
Judge 3: 100-90, Hagler

Unanimous decision for Hagler. Good showing from Mallin. Hagler has 19 round points compared to 13 for Mallin, so a tough road for the challenger.
--------------------------------
Edited by DaveP on 03/28/2021

DaveP
I was wondering how long it would take Marvin Hagler to lose a bout, so here we go. The opponents are randomly drawn from the All-Time Middleweights set (2007 version--the 2012 version has 100 more pages and 3,000 more fighters).

----------

Marvelous Marvin Hagler vs. Walter Monaghan (1911-1916)

Monaghan was from Pittsburgh, PA, which is where he fought most of his bouts. He fought future middleweight champion Harry Grebs to a draw in 1916. To be fair, Grebs had broken his left arm in a fight two months earlier.

-----------

Round 1: Hagler overwhelms Monaghan, TKO at 1:42. Not much doubt about this one, Monaghan with a 4 Round Pts. rating, Hagler with 19.

HAGLER WINS BY TKO

-----------

DaveP
Marvelous Marvin Hagler vs. Sonny Horne (1941-1951)

Horne hailed from Niles, Ohio. He was best known for his two fights against Rocky Graziano, both losses. He died in 1959 at the age of 35, due to Lou Gehrig's Disease.

i.imgur.com/kSW4gUN.jpg

-------------

Only 7 Round Pts. for Sonny, so it went about as expected. In the 3rd round, he caused some swelling on Hagler's left eye, but was unable to take advantage. He did go the distance, and lost a unanimous decision.

HAGLER WINS BY UNANIMOUS DECISION

------------

DaveP
Marvelous Marvin Hagler vs. Reddy Gallagher (1887-1896)

Gallagher boxed (and wrestled) out of Cleveland, Ohio. In 1887 he fought "Nonpariel" Jack Dempsey to a draw, although Dempsey broke his arm below the elbow in the 2nd round and still finished the bout.

i.imgur.com/f9BrWL6.jpg

--------------

After a close opening round, Hagler went on the attack, opening a cut under Gallagher's right eye in Round 2, then knocked down his opponent in rounds 3, 4 and 5. Hagler continued to dominate the remainder of the fight, and won another unanimous decision.

--------------

DaveP
Marvelous Marvin Hagler vs. Leen Sanders (1926-1946)

Amazing biography for Sanders, a Dutch boxer who survived Auschwitz. Quite a hero. He was given special status in the camp because of his reputation as a boxer, he used it to steal food and clothing, which he snuck to his fellow prisoners--"the bread thru which the sky opened."

i.imgur.com/i2kFdJ9.jpg

-------------

Hagler made short work of Sanders, knocking him down in Round 1, knocking him out at :39 of Round 2.

HAGLER WINS BY KO

-----------

New policy: I will to continue choosing opponents randomly, but a minimum 10 Round Points rating is required.

-----------------

DaveP
Marvelous Marvin Hagler vs. Arthur Abraham (2003-2018)

A step up in competition for Hagler, facing IBF middleweight and WBO super-middleweight champion, Arthur Abraham. 12 Round Points rating, with A Power.

i.imgur.com/vlFD7Bn.jpg
----------------

Hagler was in control from the opening bell, although Abraham did bloody his nose in the 5th round. In the 10th and final round, a weary Abraham succumbed to a flurry of Hagler blows, and the fight ended on a TKO at :53.

HAGLER WINS BY TKO

----------------

DaveP
Marvelous Marvin Hagler vs. Eddie "Babe" Risko (1929-1939)

Risko held the middleweight title briefly in 1935. He defended it only once, before losing it to Freddie Steele in 1936. Long amateur career as a Navy boxer, under the name Sailor Pulaski.

i.imgur.com/1bAa1HK.jpg

-----------

Uneventful bout. Neither fighter was cut or knocked down. Risko won the 2nd round, and probably should have won the 5th as well. Routine performance by Hagler, 296-274 according to the judges.

-----------

DaveP
Marvelous Marvin Hagler vs. Joey Giardello (1948-1967)

Giardello (legal name Carmine Orlando Tilelli) was the world middleweight champion from 1963-1965. Best known for being the fighter depicted in the Hurricane Carter movie. He later won a lawsuit against the filmmakers for the way he was portrayed in the film.

i.imgur.com/TyvNVbV.jpg
Statue of Joey Giardello in Philadelphia

-------------

Giardello held his own throughout most of the fight. Hagler wasn't able to get past the challenger's "A" defense very often. Neither fighter was hurt. All three judges award the decision to Halger, although Judge 3 scored it 95-94, Hagler's closest call yet.

Actually, the closest call might have happened when I spun the random number wheel--the next fighter on the list after Giardello is Mike Gibbons, the St. Paul Phantom (20 Round Pts. AA Defense).

--------------------

DaveP
Marvelous Marvin Hagler vs. Shinji Takehara (1989-1996)

Takehara was the first middleweight champion from Japan. He won the title in 1995, lost it in his first title defense the following year vs. William Joppy. Forced to retire at age 24 due to a detached retina. Later became a tv star for his role as a trainer in "Gachinko Fight Club."

i.imgur.com/MkqFjuu.jpg

----------------

Halger wasted no time in this one, TKO at 1:28 of Round 2.

HAGLER WINS BY TKO

--------------

gridiron
[quote name=DaveP post=5313]I was wondering how long it would take Marvin Hagler to lose a bout, so here we go. The opponents are randomly drawn from the All-Time Middleweights set (2007 version--the 2012 version has 100 more pages and 3,000 more fighters).

HAGLER WINS BY TKO

How did you do your random selection?

Jump to Forum
Sign In
Enter Email or Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Latest Downloads
· 2014 Statis Pro Base...