Contents
· Forums
· Our Reviews
· Search
· Web Links
· Privacy Policy

Hosted Sites
· Downey Games
There are 190 unregistered users and 1 registered user on-line.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Other Stories
· 2018 College Baseball and Softball Released (Jun 20, 2018)
· 2018 Ultra Quick Wrestling Released (Apr 24, 2018)
· RLB Classic 2018 NBA Released (Apr 19, 2018)
· POTG Basketball 2018 NBA Available (Apr 19, 2018)
· UQ Basketball 2018 NBA Available (Apr 19, 2018)
· UQ Hockey 2018 NHL Available (Apr 11, 2018)
· Final Score Hockey 2017-18 Universe Released (Apr 11, 2018)
· Downey Games 2018 Easter Sale Begins (Mar 26, 2018)
· RLB 2018 NCAA Tournament Year Book Available (Mar 14, 2018)
· Player of the Game 2018 NCAA Year Book Available (Mar 12, 2018)
tabletop-sports.com Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Big_CityOffline
Post subject: Re: REMEMBERING MINNESOTA'S BILLY MISKE  PostPosted: Dec 01, 2007 - 01:36 PM

Big_City wrote:
REMEMBERING MINNESOTA'S BILLY MISKE

Go to billymiske.com/magazines.htm to read great articles about Billy Miske, including 'Twas the Fight before Christmas by Sports Illustrated's Rick Reilly, and articles by Tracy G. Callis, Historian, International Boxing Research Organization.

Speaking of the article about the Billy Miske-Bill Brennan 1923 bout ( 'Twas the Fight before Christmas by Sports Illustrated's Rick Reilly), I will stage a replay of Miske vs. Brennan using Data Boxing 6.0. Stay tuned.

"So I run straight to the goal with purpose in every step. I fight to win. I'm not just shadow-boxing or playing around." (I Cor. 9:26)

Reply with quote Back to top
Big_CityOffline
Post subject: ‘Twas the Fight Before Christmas Replay  PostPosted: Dec 02, 2007 - 11:18 AM

Billy Miske vs. Bill Brennan

Re-creation of ‘Twas the Fight Before Christmas

In reference to the article entitled 'Twas the Fight before Christmas by Sports Illustrated's Rick Reilly (1923 bout in which Billy Miske kayoed Bill Brennan), I replayed the Miske-Brennan bout in the virtual world of Data Boxing.

Re-creation of actual 1923 Miske-Brennan bout using Data Boxing 6.0: In recreating the Miske-Brennan bout, I noted the following from the article entitled Billy Miske's Last Fight (go to the address below to see the article) by Kilgallen and Kollmar: “In the opening round of the match sports writers at the ringside noticed that Brennan appeared much slower than he had been when he made such a good showing against Dempsey, while Miske was fast and smooth.” Reflecting on the above, I decided to alter Brennan’s efficiency -1 to replay this bout utilizing the reduced efficiency feature in Data Boxing 6.0. I also invoked the rounds scoring system, the scoring used back in the 1920s, and activated the opinion by the color analyst. Please note that the color analyst opinion does not always agree with the official judges’ scoring. Since this is one of my favorite, inspirational matchups, I also saved it by utilizing the “matchup” Mat. file feature in Data Boxing 6.0. The following is a text file extract of the Data Boxing computer fight narrative….

LET'S LOOK AT EXCERPTS OF ROUNDS 7-8....

~~~ SEVENTH ROUND ~~~
Brennan has been cut once over the first six rounds.
Miske, a right to the head for nothing.
At the center of the ring.
Brennan, a right to the body to no avail.
Here Miske is short with a left to the head.
Brennan with a left to the head.
Billy Miske no luck with a left to the head.
Brennan connects with a left and a right to the head and body!!
Brennan with a right to the head.
On the near side.
Miske with a left to the body.
Miske takes a left to the head!
Again Brennan connects with a left and a right hand to the head and body!!
Miske forced toward the near corner.
Here Brennan is short with a left to the body.
We are one minute into the round.
Miske missing with a right to the body.
Brennan with a left to the body.
In the near corner of the ring.
Miske trying a jab.
Miske trying a jab.
Billy Miske with a left to the head.
Action in the southwest corner.
Here Miske comes up short with a left to the head.
Bill Brennan with a left to the body.
Miske, a left to the head in vain.
In the near corner.
One minute left in the round.
Miske the aggressor.
Now Miske connects with a left and a right hand to the head and body!!
Miske, a right to the head for nothing.
In the near corner of the ring.
Here Brennan comes up short with a right to the head.
Here Miske comes up short with a right to the head.
Brennan, a right to the head in vain.
In the near corner.
Strong right by Miske ...
... Brennan is down!
Brennan crumbled in the corner.
He's up at eight....

Miske at the ready ...!!
Miske again hits a left hand and a right to the head and body!!

Miske winding up ...!!
Miske yet again lands a left hand to Brennan's mouth!
Brennan trying to hang on.
Brennan driven to the near corner.
Round seven, there's the bell.
Great round for Miske, on a late rally.
Our analyst scored that round for Miske.
For the fight, he has it 6-1 for Miske....

~~~ EIGHTH ROUND ~~~
Brennan in the northwest corner to our far left;
Miske out of the southeast corner to our near right.
Brennan has not come out of his corner.
Brennan appeared to be off form.
Let's go to the ring announcer.
---
[The announcer:]

Ladies and gentlemen: your attention please.
The winner in round eight by technical knock-out,
"the St. Paul Thunderbolt," Billy Miske!...

END NOTES:

1. Rounds were 6/1 6/1 7/0.
2. In the book entitled Sacred Parenting, Gary Thomas discusses Billy Miske’s 1923 fight with Bill Brennan. In his book, Thomas wrote “Never bet against a dad determined to make the ultimate sacrifice to give his family one last Christmas memory.”

P.S. To read the article entitled Billy Miske's Last Fight by Kilgallen and Kollmar, go to the following address:

http://www.billymiske.com/RD101.htm (Reader's Digest article)

P.P.S: The narrative on the Data Boxing 6.0 action screen is color-coded for the fighters with adjustable levels of detail, speed and text. Also, the knockdowns are counted down on the action screen and more. Here is a link to a screenshot of the Data Boxing action screen - http://www.tabletop-sports.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=509

Also, Don Mankowski, Data Boxing 6.0 Programmer/Analyst, discusses the above-mentioned “matchup” Mat.file at the All Time Heavyweights Delphi thread - http://forums.delphiforums.com/drdatabox/messages?msg=55.13

"So I run straight to the goal with purpose in every step. I fight to win. I'm not just shadow-boxing or playing around." (I Cor. 9:26)

Last edited by Big_City on Dec 22, 2007 - 10:22 PM; edited 2 times in total

Big_CityOffline
Post subject: 'Twas the Fight before Christmas  PostPosted: Dec 05, 2007 - 06:55 PM

Billy Miske vs. Bill Brennan

'Twas the Fight Before Christmas - Data Boxing 6.0 Replay Series

Using the 'Twas the Fight Before Christmas "matchup file" that I discussed in the preceeding post, I ran a Data Boxing series test between Billy Miske and Bill Brennan (note: reduced/enhanced efficiency was not invoked for either boxer in this series). I set the series for 100 bouts over 10 rounds and set the series to terminate early if a significant result was achieved at the 5% level. Miske won!

Miske-Brennan 7-1-0; 0-0 KOs, 1-0 TKOs

For a synopsis of each computerized bout, the DBLINE file reports...

P = points; J = judge cards; R = judge rounds; N = knockdowns;
C = cuts; I = injury; F = fouls

Billy Miske TKO(rsf)7 Bill Brennan P36/9.5 J6/1 5/1 7/1
R4/1 4/1 5/1 N1/0 C0/0 I0/0 F0/0
Billy Miske Wu10 Bill Brennan P26/14 J7/4 7/4 7/4
R6/4 6/4 6/4 N0/0 C0/0 I0/0 F0/0
Billy Miske Wu10 Bill Brennan P31.5/18.5 J7/2 5/2 11/1
R5/2 5/2 9/1 N0/0 C1/0 I0/0 F0/0
Billy Miske Wu10 Bill Brennan P19.5/17 J6/3 6/3 8/2
R6/3 6/3 8/2 N0/0 C0/0 I0/1 F0/0
Bill Brennan Wm10 Billy Miske P29.5/21 J7/3 7/3 5/5
R7/3 7/3 5/5 N0/0 C0/0 I0/0 F0/0
Billy Miske Wu10 Bill Brennan P24/15 J7/2 7/2 9/2
R7/2 7/2 8/2 N0/0 C0/0 I0/0 F0/0
Billy Miske Wu10 Bill Brennan P25.5/18 J6/3 6/3 7/3
R6/3 6/3 7/3 N0/0 C0/0 I0/0 F0/0
Billy Miske Wu10 Bill Brennan P27/19 J7/4 6/4 9/3
R6/4 6/4 7/3 N1/0 C0/0 I0/0 F0/0

Note: The DBLINE file is just one of the statistical reports available in the Post Fight Analysis program. This function is really cool! It offers a menu of options for analyzing the data from all your bouts in a variety of formats.

P.S. This article about Billy Miske at the The Cyber Boxing Zone Journal, by Tracy Callis and Eric Jorgensen, is a great read...

http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/wail900_callis.htm

Big_CityOffline
Post subject: Re: Billy Miske vs. Big Heavyweights  PostPosted: Dec 15, 2007 - 10:15 AM

Big_City wrote:
Billy Miske vs. Big Heavyweights

In reference to my previous post regarding the result for the Billy Miske-Jess Willard “what-if” computer-simulated title fight using Data Boxing, big heavyweights are nothing new under the sun for “the St. Paul Thunderbolt." In fact, Miske fought well against the big heavyweights of his day. In 1917, the 6’ 0” Billy Miske beat big heavyweight Carl Morris. Miske was outweighed by the 6’4” Carl Morris by 50 lbs. Miske also knocked out 6’ 5 ½ Fred Fulton. As to the Miske-Willard matchup that I staged in Data Boxing, Miske and Willard never fought in real life, but they had a common opponent in Gunboat Smith. Miske beat Gunboat Smith twice in 1918, while Willard dropped a decision to Gunboat Smith in 1913 before Willard became champion.

When comparing the all time greats in the heavyweight division, overall ability is more important than size. Make no mistake about it. Ability, not size is what determines who is the better fighter.

P.S. Here are some more small/medium heavyweights who beat giants in boxing:

1. Jack Dempsey liked to fight big heavyweights because they were easier to hit. Dempsey, at 6’ 0” 191, slaughtered the massive 6’ 6” 252 Jess Willard (TKO 3)
2. “The Brown Bomber” Joe Louis at 6’ 1” 200, stopped the 6’ 6 ½” 250 pound Buddy Baer in round 1; Louis also destroyed 6’ 6” Primo Carnera.
3. Earnie Schaaf, at 6’ 1” 198, TKO’d king-sized Victorio Campolo (6’ 9 ½”) in the 7th.
4. The 6’ 2” Max Baer (one of my favorite boxers), stopped a couple of colossal boxers - the giant Primo Carnera (260-270 pounds), and humongous 6’ 8 1/2” Jose Santa (Santa was a massive 250-270 pounds).
5. In the late 1960s, 6’ 0” James Woody TKO’d giant 6’ 8” Jim Beattie (BTW, Woody lost to my all time top sports hero, the 6’ 3” Ken Norton twice, the first time by decision and then by TKO in a rematch).

P.P.S. As they say, "It's not the size of the dog in the fight; it's the size of the fight in the dog."

Billy Miske Versus Today's Heavyweights

What if Billy Miske were fighting in today's fight arena? Would he be in the mix for the heavyweight title? In the Data Boxing world, Billy Miske will step into the ring for a computer-simulated bout versus current WBC champ Oleg Maskaev. Can Miske out box the 240 pound Maskaev? Stay tuned for the answer.

Big_CityOffline
Post subject: BILLY MISKE vs. TODAY'S FIGHTERS  PostPosted: Dec 15, 2007 - 11:27 PM

BILLY MISKE vs. OLEG MASKAEV

If Billy Miske were fighting in today's fight arena, would he be in the mix for the heavyweight title? I believe the answer is yes. In the Data Boxing computer fight arena, the 6-foot Miske out-fought the 6' 3" WBC champ Oleg Maskaev for a clear cut unanimous decision over 12 rounds.

The DBLINE file reports...

P = points; J = judge cards; R = judge rounds; N = knockdowns;
C = cuts; I = injury; F = fouls

Billy Miske Wu12 Oleg Maskaev P36.5/21.5 J116/110 116/112 116/109
R8/4 8/4 8/4 N0/0 C0/0 I0/0 F0/0

Note: The heavyweight subclasses feature was enabled for this computerized bout to factor in the significant weight difference (Miske was at about a 50 pound weight disadvantage versus the 240 pound Maskaev).

Coming Up Next: Billy Miske vs. Antonio Tarver.

P.S. Tarver has been recognized as World Light Heavyweight Champion three different times. Tarver also played the role of Mason "The Line" Dixon in the Rocky Balboa movie. Using Data Boxing, I staged bouts that involved boxers who had a connection to the "Rocky" movies. The project is entitled Data Boxing: "Rocky" Snapshots here at TableTop Sports...

http://www.tabletop-sports.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=691

P.P.S. Computer-simulated fights were subject in the 2006 Rocky Balboa movie (a computer fight between Balboa and the current champ Dixon is correlated to Murray Woroner's Ali-Marciano computer fight of the late 1960s). I replayed Woroner's 1967 computerized heavyweight tournament in the virtual world of Data Boxing. The results are at another TTS thread...

http://www.tabletop-sports.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1006

Big_CityOffline
Post subject: Re: BILLY MISKE vs. TODAY'S FIGHTERS  PostPosted: Dec 21, 2007 - 07:52 PM

Big_City wrote:
<clipped> Coming Up Next: Billy Miske vs. Antonio Tarver.

P.S. Tarver has been recognized as World Light Heavyweight Champion three different times. Tarver also played the role of Mason "The Line" Dixon in the Rocky Balboa movie. Using Data Boxing, I staged bouts that involved boxers who had a connection to the "Rocky" movies. The project is entitled Data Boxing: "Rocky" Snapshots here at TableTop Sports...

http://www.tabletop-sports.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=691

P.P.S. Computer-simulated fights were subject in the 2006 Rocky Balboa movie (a computer fight between Balboa and the current champ Dixon is correlated to Murray Woroner's Ali-Marciano computer fight of the late 1960s). I replayed Woroner's 1967 computerized heavyweight tournament in the virtual world of Data Boxing. The results are at another TTS thread...

http://www.tabletop-sports.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1006

ACTION IN DATA BOXING: BILLY MISKE WINS UNANIMOUS DECISION OVER ANTONIO TARVER

In a computer-simulated fight using Data Boxing, heavyweight Billy Miske outpointed Antonio Tarver, a three-time light heavyweight champion. The DBLINE file reports...

P = points; J = judge cards; R = rounds; N = knockdowns; C&I = cut&injury + = 1/2; ' = 1/3; " = 2/3

Billy Miske Wu12 Antonio Tarver P43/20 J115/108 115/113 115/107
R7/5 7/5 7/5 N0/0 C0/0 I0/0 F0/0

Big_CityOffline
Post subject: Re: REMEMBERING MINNESOTA'S BILLY MISKE  PostPosted: Jan 01, 2008 - 07:57 AM

Big_City wrote:
REMEMBERING MINNESOTA'S BILLY MISKE

In Julian's Compton's opening statement for Data Boxing 6.0, he calls upon us to remember not only the famous boxers, but the other boxers as well. Dr. Compton also discusses that while Data Boxing is indeed about the numbers, it's also about the people. As I've stated before, Data Boxing has introduced me to a number of boxers I had not known about before, such as Billy Miske. Miske was a superb boxer and a great human being, whose career was from 1913-1923. Sadly, Miske died at the age of 29 due to a kidney disease. I am providing a link to a Reader's Digest article about Billy Miske, which illustrates what a great man he was and how he sacrificed for his wife and children. The article is entitled "Billy Miske's Last Fight"...

http://www.billymiske.com/RD101.htm (Reader's Digest article)

A future Data Boxing project of mine will be to recreate various bouts of Billy Miske's career and also to stage some Billy Miske "what if" bouts in Data Boxing 6.0, where Billy Miske lives on!

Remembering Billy Miske today, 84 years later after he died from Bright’s Disease at the age of 29 on New Year’s Day, 1924. I have found Billy to be a courageous, inspirational individual who battled back from severe adversity to continue fighting. (From http://www.billymiske.com/RD101.htm - article from The Reader’s Digest - January 1951) Miske was one of the best heavyweight prize fighters of his day. In his ring career of more than 100 bouts he fought Jack Dempsey, Tommy Gibbons and Harry Greb.

Big_CityOffline
Post subject: Bily Miske Article  PostPosted: Feb 21, 2008 - 10:35 PM

Here is a link to article about Billy Miske that I thought may be of interest. The article appeared in the Coulee News (West Salem WI) and is entitled Boxer set the bar for Christmas...

http://www.couleenews.com/articles/2005/12/22/opinion/03opinion.txt

Big_CityOffline
Post subject: All-Time Heavyweight Rankings Using Data Boxing  PostPosted: May 03, 2008 - 10:22 PM

I am staging computer-simulated fights with Data Boxing to determine my own all-time top 50 heavyweights. I currently have Billy Miske rated at #24 among the all time best in the heavyweight division.

All Time Heavyweight Rankings project using Data Boxing

Last edited by Big_City on Dec 20, 2009 - 12:46 PM; edited 1 time in total

Big_CityOffline
Post subject: Billy Mise featured on Fox Sports  PostPosted: Jun 21, 2008 - 09:20 AM

"Billy Miske: Dead Man Fighting" episode on Fox Sports

I am providing a link to information regarding a show about Billy Miske on Fox Sports entitled Billy Miske: Dead Man Fighting. The above aired in April and is scheduled to air again in July...
http://www.nashentertainment.com/television/amazingsports/102.html

DRDATABOXOffline
Post subject: BRUCE NASH  PostPosted: Jun 21, 2008 - 12:50 PM

Bruce Nash, head of Nash Entertainment, is a longtime friend of mine. He was also Data Boxing Ring #2 in the olden times. (I was ring #1.) He was there when DB was hand-lettered, black india ink on 4" by 5" cards, and three black on white dice were rolled into a 1/2 inch high, 6" by 6" reel-to reel tape box, also black. (I still have the original cards and "ring" somewhere.) Random events happened when the dice "flew" out of the ring.
Bruce's interest in the human element of sports has always been an inspiration to me.
Some of you may know that we wrote two books together: The World Championship Boxing Quiz Book, and Computer Sports Matchups.
If you have an intriguing story to tell in film, get an agent, write it up, and send it to him for consideration.

DRDATABOXOffline
Post subject: BRUCE NASH  PostPosted: Jun 21, 2008 - 12:51 PM

Bruce Nash, head of Nash Entertainment, is a longtime friend of mine. He was also Data Boxing Ring #2 in the olden times. (I was ring #1.) He was there when DB was hand-lettered, black india ink on 4" by 5" cards, and three black on white dice were rolled into a 1/2 inch high, 6" by 6" reel-to reel tape box, also black. (I still have the original cards and "ring" somewhere.) Random events happened when the dice "flew" out of the ring.
Bruce's interest in the human element of sports has always been an inspiration to me.
Some of you may know that we wrote two books together: The World Championship Boxing Quiz Book, and Computer Sports Matchups.
If you have an intriguing story to tell in film, get an agent, write it up, and send it to him for consideration.

Big_CityOffline
Post subject: Re: BRUCE NASH  PostPosted: Jun 22, 2008 - 04:35 PM

DRDATABOX wrote:

I'm glad to see Miske honored on the Fox Sports Network series produced by Bruce Nash. Miske is one of my heroes, and I'm really looking forward to watching the show. By the way, I read Computer Sports Matchups. The book is fun, interesting, and a pleasure to read. The chapter on the heavyweight boxing tournament using Data Boxing was definately for me. I recreated this tournament using Data Boxing 6.0. The results are at another TTS thread: http://www.tabletop-sports.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1020&sid=8b782d3e582dbabc5e6d04db37a4d508.

Big_CityOffline
Post subject: Re: BRUCE NASH  PostPosted: Jul 06, 2008 - 12:54 PM

Big_City wrote:
DRDATABOX wrote:

I'm glad to see Miske honored on the Fox Sports Network series produced by Bruce Nash. Miske is one of my heroes, and I'm really looking forward to watching the show. By the way, I read Computer Sports Matchups. The book is fun, interesting, and a pleasure to read. The chapter on the heavyweight boxing tournament using Data Boxing was definately for me. I recreated this tournament using Data Boxing 6.0. The results are at another TTS thread: http://www.tabletop-sports.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1020&sid=8b782d3e582dbabc5e6d04db37a4d508.

Fox Sports will air Billy Miske: Dead Man Fighting on their Amazing Sports Stories program on July 20 at 6:30 PM and 9:30 PM (ET).

Big_CityOffline
Post subject: DATA BOXING blog  PostPosted: Jul 20, 2008 - 04:46 PM

See my DATA BOXING blog label entitled: Remembering Minnesota’s Billy Miske:

http://mydataboxingjournal.blogspot.com/search/label/Remembering%20Minnesota%27s%20Billy%20Miske

Jump to: