Contents
· Forums
· Our Reviews
· Search
· Web Links
· Privacy Policy

Hosted Sites
· Downey Games
There are 199 unregistered users and 0 registered users on-line.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Other Stories
· 2018 College Baseball and Softball Released (Jun 20, 2018)
· 2018 Ultra Quick Wrestling Released (Apr 24, 2018)
· RLB Classic 2018 NBA Released (Apr 19, 2018)
· POTG Basketball 2018 NBA Available (Apr 19, 2018)
· UQ Basketball 2018 NBA Available (Apr 19, 2018)
· UQ Hockey 2018 NHL Available (Apr 11, 2018)
· Final Score Hockey 2017-18 Universe Released (Apr 11, 2018)
· Downey Games 2018 Easter Sale Begins (Mar 26, 2018)
· RLB 2018 NCAA Tournament Year Book Available (Mar 14, 2018)
· Player of the Game 2018 NCAA Year Book Available (Mar 12, 2018)
tabletop-sports.com Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Big_CityOffline
Post subject: Ali-Norton I  PostPosted: Mar 29, 2013 - 11:08 PM

March 31st, 1973 - Ken Norton Defeats Muhammad Ali

On March 31st, 1973 Ken Norton won a shocking victory over Muhammad Ali in a bout that was televised by ABCs Wide World of Sports. Legendary sports writer Jim Murray wrote, "The world couldn't have been more shocked if a statue in the park began to swat the pigeons."

I remember watching this bout when I was in junior high school. Norton became one of my heroes after that bout and has stayed that way ever since. I identified with him as an example of how to achieve any goal.

Using Data Boxing, I traveled back in time to relive this famous bout. Go to my website for the write-up and details.

"So I run straight to the goal with purpose in every step. I fight to win. I'm not just shadow-boxing or playing around." (I Cor. 9:26)

Reply with quote Back to top
Big_CityOffline
Post subject: Ken Norton Vs. Wladimir Klitschko  PostPosted: Apr 11, 2014 - 08:59 PM

Ken Norton Vs. Wladirmir Klitschko

In a Friday Night Fight, The 1978 version of former heavyweight champion Ken Norton traveled in time to 2014 for a bout with current heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko in a 12 round bout. Norton entered the ring accompanied by disco music while the fans cheered their support for the former world champion. They witnesses a wild fight where both men hit the canvas as Norton went on to beat Klitschko by a TKO in eight.

Data Boxing Factoids: Norton was represented with his 1978 ratings and Klitschko was represented with his 2008 ratings adjusted -1 using the reduced efficiency feature to update for 2014. This feature makes it possible to adjust boxers ratings for a variety of factors, including boxers past their peak or who are out of shape or injured during a bout.

The DBLINE File reports...

P = points; J = judge cards; R = judge rounds; N = knockdowns;
C = cuts; I = injury; F = fouls

Ken Norton !78 TKO(rsf)8 Wladimir Klitschko< P40/12 J69/62 69/62 69/62
R6/1 6/1 6/1 N1[8]/1[8] C2/0 I0/0 F0/0

P.S. The computerized bout narrative is at Delphi's Dbpc site:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/dbpc1/messages?msg=128.11

"So I run straight to the goal with purpose in every step. I fight to win. I'm not just shadow-boxing or playing around." (I Cor. 9:26)

FrankCOffline
Post subject: Norton  PostPosted: Apr 13, 2014 - 07:45 AM

I knew that Norton was good but to take out Ali and Klitschko in conseutive fights puts him an a Superman catagory.

You mention that the fights are rated for a certain time era in their career. I assume that as the fighter gets older he slows and has less speed, etc. How many ratings does each boxer have? I also imagine that the early career is hampered by less moxie for each fighter. When in the fighter's career does he receive the best rating?

If you were to replay Joe Louis vs Rocky Marciano, Louis would be at a tremendous disadvantage because when they met Louis was really washed up. You would have to use the Joe Louis of 1938-41 when his ratings must have been much higher in your game.

Big_CityOffline
Post subject: Re: Norton  PostPosted: May 24, 2015 - 10:00 AM

FrankC wrote:
I knew that Norton was good but to take out Ali and Klitschko in conseutive fights puts him an a Superman catagory.

You mention that the fights are rated for a certain time era in their career. I assume that as the fighter gets older he slows and has less speed, etc. How many ratings does each boxer have? I also imagine that the early career is hampered by less moxie for each fighter. When in the fighter's career does he receive the best rating?

If you were to replay Joe Louis vs Rocky Marciano, Louis would be at a tremendous disadvantage because when they met Louis was really washed up. You would have to use the Joe Louis of 1938-41 when his ratings must have been much higher in your game.

I think Ken Norton is one of the most underrated boxers in history. I currently have him rated No. 13 in my all time heavyweight rankings project:

http://mydataboxingjournal.blogspot.com/search/label/All%20Time%20Heavyweight%20Rankings

All boxers are rated at their peak, but some boxers such as Ali, Louis, Norton, Holmes, Baer and so forth have several ratings for various stages of their careers including peak and past-peak ratings. The reduced efficiency adjustments in Data Boxing can be used for any boxer to reflect their past prime and/or late peak performance. I'll stage a series of bouts between Joe Louis and Rocky Marciano with both men at their peak and report the results.

Big_CityOffline
Post subject: Re: Norton  PostPosted: May 24, 2015 - 11:32 AM

Big_City wrote:
FrankC wrote:

I think Ken Norton is one of the most underrated boxers in history. I currently have him rated No. 13 in my all time heavyweight rankings project:

http://mydataboxingjournal.blogspot.com/search/label/All%20Time%20Heavyweight%20Rankings

All boxers are rated at their peak, but some boxers such as Ali, Louis, Norton, Holmes, Baer and so forth have several ratings for various stages of their careers including peak and past-peak ratings. The reduced efficiency adjustments in Data Boxing can be used for any boxer to reflect their past prime and/or late peak performance. I'll stage a series of bouts between Joe Louis and Rocky Marciano with both men at their peak and report the results.

Louis-Marciano Series:

One bout is not enough to tell who is best between Rocky Marciano and Joe Louis. Marciano can beat Louis, but not every time. In a Marciano-Louis matchup, surely both would win, but who would win in a series of bouts? I staged a 100 bout series over 15 rounds between Marciano and Louis, with both boxers at their peak (Marciano 1952-55, Louis 1935-42). Using Data Boxing PC, I had the following results:

Louis-Marciano: 58 - 38 - 4; 27-23 KOs, 20-2 TKOs

Comment: Don Mankowski, Data Boxing PC programmer/analyst, discusses the analysis of results for a series of bouts at Delphi's Table Top Sports and Season's Past Sports:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/tabletopsports/messages/?msg=10442.4

http://forums.delphiforums.com/seasonspast/messages/?msg=4165.31

Jump to: