Contents
· Forums
· Our Reviews
· Search
· Web Links
· Privacy Policy

Hosted Sites
· Downey Games
There are 144 unregistered users and 1 registered user on-line.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Other Stories
· 2018 Game Winning Drive College Football Available (Dec 10, 2018)
· 2018 Ultra Quick College Football Available (Dec 09, 2018)
· 2018 College Available for Downey's FS Football (Dec 09, 2018)
· Downey Games 2018 Cyber Monday Sale (Nov 26, 2018)
· Thanksgiving Sale 2018 at Downey Games (Nov 16, 2018)
· UQ Baseball 2018 MLB Season Released (Nov 12, 2018)
· Three New Ryder Cup Seasons Available (Oct 12, 2018)
· 2018 MLB Released for HardBall Wars (Oct 03, 2018)
· 2018 IndyCar Racing Year Book Available (Sep 26, 2018)
· 2018 PGA Tour Released (Sep 25, 2018)
tabletop-sports.com Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BillSOffline
Post subject: Historic Single-game Replays  PostPosted: Jan 24, 2014 - 09:20 AM

I am starting a thread to report on the random historic games I plan to play with my various tabletop games. I came up with this idea as I tried to find a way to play all of the games I have acquired over the years while maintaining interest. One of the reasons I play tabletop games is to re-explore history. I enjoy researching and learning about the players and teams of the past. I also don't seem to ever have the time or patience to stick with one game to complete a long project. So, this idea of replaying historic single games was born.

To be included in my replay, the game has to have some particular notoriety. It may be a game when a player or team reached a particular milestone. Or the game may have involved a particularly noteworthy event. Of course, I will be limited by the games I own and the seasons I have for them, but there will still be plenty to do. There will likely be a high concentration of baseball based on the simple fact that it is my favorite and it is the sport for which I have the most seasons and most games (in fact, with Back to Basics, there is no game I can't replay!). In choosing games, no doubt my biases and personal preferences will creep in, so there will likely be a fair number of Red Sox games! Laughing I have played a couple of games already which I will post shortly. I don't know how often I will post, but I hope you enjoy them when I do.

Reply with quote Back to top
BillSOffline
Post subject: RE: Historic Single-game Replays  PostPosted: Jan 24, 2014 - 11:19 AM

September 6, 1912 - Smokey Joe vs. The Big Train - HardBall Wars

Throughout the Summer of 1912 the country was buzzing over the pitching exploits of fireballers Smokey Joe Wood of the Boston Red Sox and Walter Johnson of the Washington Senators. Wood was the young upstart while Johnson, though still relatively early in his career, had already made a name for himself as one of the best, if not the best, pitcher in the American League. No one seemed to question the claim that Johnson threw the hardest of any pitcher in baseball - until this year. With both pitchers compiling stellar records over the course of the Summer (including 13 straight wins for Wood), the anticipation of a duel between the two aces reached fever pitch, as schedule watchers noticed that the teams would be playing during this first week of September. Sure enough, on September 6, the two squared off at Boston's brand new Fenway Park in a game billed like a heavyweight prize fight.

In the real game, Wood and the Red Sox got the better of Johnson and the Senators, 1-0, the only run coming when Tris Speaker scored on Duffy Lewis's RBI double.

Replay - The game was scoreless through 4 innings. Wood had surrendered 4 singles, while Johnson had allowed only a first-inning triple to Tris Speaker. In the 5th inning, however, the Senators would strike. George McBride led off with a base hit. After Eddie Ainsmith grounded to second to force McBride, Johnson came up and delivered a base hit to send Ainsmith to third. Clyde Milan next delivered an RBI single for the game's first run. The Senators, though, were not done. Eddie Foster followed Milan with a base hit to load the bases for Danny Moeller. Wood seemed to come a little unglued, as he walked Moeller, scoring Johnson with the second Washington run. Chick Gandil followed Moeller with a 2-run double to give the Senators a 4-0 lead. After Wood walked Frank LaPorte, Roy Moran lofted a sac fly to Speaker in center to plate Moeller to make the score 5-0 going into the bottom of the 5th.

Larry Gardner led off the Red Sox 5th with a double off Johnson, but Boston could do nothing more, as Gardner was left stranded at third. The Red Sox would score in their half of the 6th, however, as Harry Hooper and Steve Yerkes led off with base hits. Hooper came home when Speaker grounded into a double play. That would be the only scoring for the Sox on this day, however, as the Senators and Johnson cruised to a 6-1 victory.

Washington 6 12 1
Boston 1 6 1

WP - Johnson, 9 IP, 6 hits, 1 BB, 4 SO, 1 ER
LP - Wood, 9 IP, 12 hits, 3 BB, 6 SO, 5 ER

BillSOffline
Post subject: RE: Historic Single-game Replays  PostPosted: Jan 24, 2014 - 11:50 AM

May 18, 1912 - The Ty Cobb Suspension Game - HardBall Wars

American League President Ban Johnson suspended Detroit outfielder Ty Cobb for beating a fan in New York. While most of us dream of beating up a Yankee fan and can sympathize with Cobb (just kiddin'), Johnson believed that Cobb's actually doing it was bad for baseball. After all, the fan in question apparently had no hands, having lost them in an industrial accident. So, he suspended Cobb immediately. That, however, did not sit well with Cobb's teammates, who perhaps did not dislike him as much as folklore would suggest. The rest of the Tigers walked off the field during batting practice before Detroit's scheduled game against the defending champion Athletics in Philadelphia. The strike left Tiger manager Hughie Jennings in a quandary. If the Tigers forfeited, they would be paying a hefty fine to the league. Instead, Jennings enlisted the help of his coaching staff, many St. Joseph College players, and other locals to field a team of replacements.

The result was something of a joke. Connie Mack's Athletics crushed the "Tigers" by the score of 24-2. After Cobb pleaded with his teammates, the real Tigers returned for the next game. "Tiger" pitcher Allan Travers finished the complete game, surrendering all 24 runs on 26 hits - a dubious record that remains unbroken.

Replay - Jack Coombs took the hill for the Athletics and promptly set down the Tigers 1-2-3 in the first. Surprisingly, Travers set the Athletics down 1-2-3 in the Philadelphia half of the inning. Unfortunately for Travers, that would be the high point of his day. In the second inning, the Athletics scored 8 times on 8 hits (3 doubles) and 3 walks to give the Athletics an 8-0 lead. Coombs had no trouble blowing through the "Tiger" lineup, as he continued to shut them out while he and his teammates continued to score runs off the beleaguered Detroit replacements. Trailing 13-0 in the 9th, the Tigers finally got on the board, as Coombs tired, allowing a hit to Joe Sugden and 4 walks to various "Tigers". Danny Murphy also dropped a fly ball in right, allowing another Detroit runner to score. The Tigers scored 3 runs in the inning before Coombs struck out Dan McGarvey to end the game. Philadelphia wins, 13-3. For the Athletics, Eddie Collins, Stuffy McInnis, Danny Murphy, and Jack Barry each had 3 hits.

Detroit 3 4 1
Philadelphia 13 21 1

WP - Coombs, 9 IP, 4 hits, 8 BB, 9 SO, 2 ER
LP - Travers, 9 IP, 21 hits, 5 BB, 3 SO, 11 ER

loboOffline
Post subject: RE: Historic Single-game Replays  PostPosted: Jan 24, 2014 - 04:55 PM

Great write ups. I bet you replay the Bucky Dent game Laughing

BillSOffline
Post subject: RE: Historic Single-game Replays  PostPosted: Jan 24, 2014 - 05:46 PM

That is a great idea! For some reason I didn't think of that game. I think I have just blocked it from memory! Rolling Eyes

BillSOffline
Post subject: RE: Historic Single-game Replays  PostPosted: Feb 13, 2014 - 08:22 AM

October 2, 1966 - Koufax's Last Hurrah - Strat-o-matic

Although no one knew it at the time, Sandy Koufax would pitch his final game as the Los Angeles Dodgers took on the Philadelphia Phillies in a twin bill on this day. Koufax would get the complete game victory for the Dodgers in Game 2 by the score of 6-3. He surrendered 3 runs (only 2 earned) on 7 hits while striking out 10 and walking only 1. Koufax was at the height of his greatness in 1966, finishing the season with a 1.74 ERA. At 30 years old, it would be expected that baseball fans would enjoy several more years of his artistry on the mound. However, Sandy's arm was not well, as his arthritis was getting worse. Afraid that if he continued to pitch he might do permanent damage, Koufax decided to hang them up.

Replay - The Dodgers came out swinging against Jim Bunning and the Phils, racking up 16 hits (14 of them singles) on their way to an 8-2 win. Koufax went the distance for Los Angeles, giving up 2 runs on 6 hits while striking out 12 and walking only 2. Willie Davis led the Dodger hit parade with 3 singles, 2 RBIs and a stolen base. Maury Wills also had 3 hits and a stolen base. For the Phillies, Bob Uecker avoided the ignominy of a 4 strike out day by grounding out weakly to third in his fourth at bat of the day to end the game.

Los Angeles 8 16 1
Philadelphia 2 6 0

WP - Koufax, 9 IP, 6 hits, 2 BBs, 12 Ks, 2 ERs
LP - Bunning, 5 IP, 9 hits, 1 BB, 2 Ks, 5 ERs

BillSOffline
Post subject: RE: Historic Single-game Replays  PostPosted: Feb 14, 2014 - 08:51 AM

November 1, 1938 - The Great Match Race - Top-of-the-Stretch Horse Racing

It was a David and Goliath story played on on the track at Pimlico. Still struggling with the greatest economic disaster in the country's history, the American public rallied behind a little horse with the big attitude from the West Coast, Seabiscuit. Seabiscuit was the clear underdog as he traveled across country to meet up with the powerful War Admiral, sired from Man 'o War, true thoroughbred royalty. All expectations were that War Admiral would bust out early, testing Seabiscuit's stamina. When the race began, however, Seabiscuit took everyone by surprise and jumped out in front. He maintained a short lead into the back stretch before War Admiral edged in front. Seabiscuit got the lead back in the back turn and poured it on down the stretch to take a 3-length victory in front of over 40,000 enthralled spectators. Here is a clip of the actual race: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVT2MPNCqgM.

Replay - War Admiral broke early and established a length-and-a-half lead around the first turn. Into the back stretch, the Admiral pushed his lead to 2 lengths, as the horses traveled at a slow pace. Could Seabiscuit close the gap and withstand War Admiral's expected strong finish?? As the horses entered the clubhouse turn, Seabiscuit picked up the pace and edged closer to War Admiral, now only a length-and-a-half separating them. Down the stretch Seabiscuit caught War Admiral and the two horses ran neck-and-neck to the wire. At the wire it is a photo finish!! After review, it is determined that War Admiral edged Seabiscuit by a head!!

N.B. I believe my replay played out more as the experts expected the actual race to be run! The actual race was the real surprise!!!

BillSOffline
Post subject: RE: Historic Single-game Replays  PostPosted: Mar 05, 2014 - 01:52 PM

October 2, 1978 - AL Playoff (a/k/a The Bucky "Bleepin'" Dent Game) - Sherco II Baseball Simulation

Well, I'm sure most of you know the story. The Red Sox were cruising through their schedule, holding a 9-game lead in the American League East on August 13. Then, almost simultaneously, the Sox went ice cold and the Yankees got not red, but white hot. New York went 19-8 in August and 22-8 in September to take a 3 1/2 game lead on September 13. That's a 12 1/2 game turnaround in just one month!!!!! To their credit, though, the Red Sox won their last 8 regular season games to force a one game playoff. In that game, the Red Sox got off to a lead on a Carl Yastrzemski home run off Ron Guidry to lead off the 2nd inning. They would add a run to that lead in the 6th, as Jim Rice singled home Rick Burleson, who had led off the inning with a double. Then IT happened. Mike Torrez had held the Yankees scoreless through 6 innings and the 7th inning started harmlessly enough, as Graig Nettles flied out to Rice in right. Chris Chambliss and Roy White followed with singles, but Jim Spencer, batting for Brian Doyle, flied out for the 2nd out of the inning. Up next - Bucky Dent. I will not describe IT, because you all know. After Dent, Rivers walked, stole second, and came home on a Thurman Munson double. Reggie Jackson would homer in the 8th to make it 5-3 before the Red Sox got 2 runs in the bottom of the inning off Yankee reliever Goose Gossage. The Sox would get two men on with two out in the bottom of the 9th before Gossage got Carl Yastrzemski to pop out to Nettles at third to commence another long New England winter.

Replay - Although it did not lack for action, the game was a scoreless tie for 15 innings!!! Both Ron Guidry and Mike Torrez pitched tremendous games, but it was the Red Sox defense that kept the score close. In the first inning, Munson lined a hit to left. Lou Piniella followed with a shot off the Green Monster, which Carl Yastrzemski fielded deftly and threw strongly into 3rd, holding Munson on 2nd. That throw enabled the Sox infield to turn a 4-6-3 double play on the next batter (Jackson). In the third inning, Yaz again played a ball off the Wall, this one from Bucky Dent, and gunned Dent out at second. In the 6th inning, Mickey Rivers hit a ground-rule double into the Yankees' bullpen in right. The next batter, Munson, smashed a line drive right at Burleson, who tagged the surprised Rivers out for yet another double play!! Meanwhile, Guidry was having his way with the Red Sox, scattering a few harmless singles and striking out 10. Guidry would go a full 10 innings before being relieved by Gossage in the 11th. The Red Sox would use 4 pitchers (Torrez, Burgmeier, Campbell, and Stanley) and the Yankees would use only 3 (Guidry, Gossage, and Tidrow) for the game. With Bob Stanley on the mound for the Sox with 2 outs in the 16th inning, Graig Nettles walked. He went to third on Chris Chambliss' double down the right field corner. Zimmer considered pulling Stanley, but left him in to pitch to Roy White. White promptly deposited a base hit into left center, scoring Nettles with the go-ahead and eventual game-winning run!! Dick Tidrow shut the Sox down in the bottom of the 16th to secure the Yankee win.

New York 1 15 0
Boston 0 10 1

WP - Tidrow
LP - Stanley

loboOffline
Post subject: RE: Historic Single-game Replays  PostPosted: Mar 07, 2014 - 05:26 PM

Great games. 15 innings for the bleeping Dent game & koufax practically
duplicating his actual stats in his last hurrah.
Are you planning to replay the 7th game of the 1960 World Series ?
No way the Pirates wpould repeat their success.

I know your project is for single games/events but have you ever
considered replaying the 1919 WS ? Maybe the Sox would have a change
of heart & would at least try to win.

BillSOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 08, 2014 - 02:34 PM

April 8, 1974 - Los Angeles Dodgers at Atlanta Braves - Back-to-Basics Baseball

You all know the story. Hank Aaron finished the 1973 season with 713 career home runs, one off the all-time leader, Babe Ruth. On opening day, Aaron hit his first home run of the season in the season's first at bat against Jack Billingham and the Cincinnati Reds. The excitement built with each successive at bat. Aaron received a tremendous amount of hate mail, some threatening his life, if he broke the record. The pressure was great, but you couldn't tell from looking at Aaron, who seemed to go about his business like there was nothing special going on. Then, in his second at bat in the Braves' home opener against the Dodgers, Aaron jacked an Al Downing offering over the left field wall to break the Babe's record.

Replay - The Dodgers jumped on Braves' starter Ron Reed for two runs in the first inning, as Bill Buckner and Jimmy Wynn came home on hits by Willie Crawford and Ron Cey. The score remained 2-0 until the bottom of the 4th when, with one out, Dodger pitcher Al Downing issued consecutive walks to Aaron and Dusty Baker. Davy Johnson followed and smashed a 3-run home run to give the Braves a 3-2 lead. The Braves would add to that lead in the next inning when, after Downing got Ralph Garr and Mike Lum to fly out, Darrell Evans ripped a base hit. Aaron then stepped to the plate and delivered what the fans had been hoping for - a home run to left - to give the Braves a 5-2 lead. Reed continued to hold the Dodgers at bay. Tom House would come in to pitch the 9th inning for the Braves, as they defeated the Dodgers, 5-2.

Los Angeles 2 7 0
Atlanta 5 5 0

WP - Reed
LP - Downing

Brian4444Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 01, 2014 - 05:26 AM

If I could make two suggestions the "pine tar game and the "Buckner error" game.----Brian

BillSOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 - 04:28 PM

1919 World Series - Game 1 - October 1, 1919 - Dice Baseball

Rumors that the series might not be on the "up and up" were swirling when the two teams took the field for Game 1. Eddie Cicotte hit Reds lead-off batter Morrie Rath with a pitch in the bottom of the 1st inning, signaling that the he and the other players bought into the fix. Of course, there might be those that disagree that the series was fixed at all. I won't offer an opinion. I do know that Reds centerfielder Edd Roush forever argued that it didn't matter whether the series was fixed, because the Reds were a better team and would have won anyway. Well, let's find out, shall we.

Replay- Eddie Cicotte took the mound for the White Sox, while Cincinnati sent Dutch Ruether into battle. Both pitchers looked sharp in the 1st inning, setting down their respective foes 1-2-3. In the bottom of the 2nd, Roush led off with a base hit. After Cicotte struck out Pat Duncan and Larry Kopf, Greasy Neale delivered a single into left field which Shoeless Joe Jackson bobbled, allowing Roush to get to third and Neale to second. Reds' catcher Ivey Wingo followed with a ground ball in the hole to Risberg, who stopped the ball but could not make a play, allowing Roush to score. Ruether, helping himself, smacked another single, giving the Reds a 2-0 lead. Meanwhile, Ruether was spectacular, setting the White Sox down in order for the first 5 innings. With one out in the 6th, Ray Schalk got Chicago's first hit, a single to center. The score would remain 2-0 until the bottom of the 8th when Jake Daubert reached on Eddie Collins's error at second and moved to third on Heinie Groh's single to right. Daubert scored when Roush flied to center, making it 3-0. Ruether then closed out the game, giving the Reds a 3-0 victory and a 1-0 series lead.

Chicago 0 3 2
Cincinnati 3 6 0

WP - Ruether
LP - Cicotte

BillSOffline
Post subject: 1919 World Series - Game 2 - October 2, 1919 - Redland Field  PostPosted: Jun 19, 2014 - 05:04 PM

The teams met again in Cincinnati for Game 2 of the 1919 World Series. A couple of errors in Game 1 leading to the Reds' victory have tongues wagging again about whether the Series is legit.

Today the Reds sent Slim Sallee to the hill to face off against Chicago's Lefty Williams. The game was scoreless until the bottom of the 3rd, when Happy Felsch dropped Sallee's routine fly ball in center. Sallee came home when the next batter, Morrie Rath, doubled over Felsch's head. The error did nothing the quell the rumors about the Series. The Cincinnati lead was short-lived, however, as Buck Weaver led off Chicago's 4th with a solo home run.

The score would remain 1-1 until the bottom of the 7th when Reds' catcher Bill Rariden got hold of a Williams fastball and sent it over the left-field fence to give Cincinnati a 2-1 lead.

Faced with the prospect of going down 2 games to none in the Series, the White Sox needed some offense. When Weaver and Joe Jackson made out to lead off the inning, Chicago was down to its last out. Then Hap Felsch knocked a base hit and Chick Gandil followed with one of his own. Swede Risberg then beat out an infield single to short to load the bases. With two outs, bases loaded, and a one run lead, Sallee walked Ray Schalk to allow Felsch to score the tying run!! Sallee would get out of the inning after Fred McMullin, pinch hitting for Williams, lined to Larry Kopf at short.

The score stayed 2-2 until the 14th inning when, in the top of the frame, with young Rube Bressler on the mound for Cincinnati, Felsch led off with a triple to center. He came home on Risberg's sacrifice fly to right to give the White Sox the lead. Red Faber, pitching in relief of Williams, retired the Reds in the bottom of the inning to secure the win for Chicago. The Series is now tied at one game apiece.

Chicago 3 15 3
Cincinnati 2 9 0

WP - Faber

LP - Bressler

BillSOffline
Post subject: RE: 1919 World Series - Game 2 - October 2, 1919 - Redland F  PostPosted: Jun 24, 2014 - 08:55 AM

1919 World Series - Game 3 - Oct. 3, 1919 - Comiskey Park, Chicago

The Series shifted venue to Chicago for Game 3, as the Reds send Ray Fisher to the hill to face the White Sox and their promising youngster, Dickie Kerr. The Reds jumped on Kerr early in the 1st innings, as Jake Daubert singled and moved to second when Heinie Groh walked. After Kerr got Edd Roush to pop out to Buck Weaver at third, Pat Duncan ripped a base hit to center to score Daubert to give the Reds a 1-0 lead. That, however, would be the only offense Cincinnati would generate on this day.

With the score still 1-0 in the 4th, the White Sox finally got to Fisher. Joe Jackson led off with a base hit followed by another hit from Happy Felsch. After Gandil bunted the runners over, Jackson came home on Swede Risberg's fly to right to tie the game. Ray Schalk then singled home Felsch to give Chicago a 2-1 lead. Schalk then stole second and scored when Dickie Kerr doubled to center, making it 3-1 Chicago after 4 innings.

Kerr would leave the game in the 5th after feeling a little soreness in his shoulder. Roy Wilkinson came on in relief.

The score remained 3-1 until the bottom of the 7th when, with Hod Eller pitching in relief of Fisher, Eddie Collins doubled and scored when Weaver followed with a double of his own. Eller walked Jackson and then Gandil before Risberg delivered a 2-run single to make the score 6-1. As he was walking off the mound, Eller had a few words for home plate umpire Cy Rigler, who promptly directed him to the showers.

With Slim Sallee on the hill for Cincinnati in the 8th, the White Sox got their final run of the game as pinch hitter Eddie Murphy singled and eventually scored on Weavers sac fly. The White Sox win, 7-1 and take a 2 games to 1 lead in the Series.

Cincinnati 1 3 1
Chicago 7 12 2

WP - Wilkinson

LP - Fisher

BillSOffline
Post subject: RE: 1919 World Series - Game 2 - October 2, 1919 - Redland F  PostPosted: Dec 17, 2014 - 04:48 PM

1919 World Series - Game 4 - October 4, 1919 - Comiskey Park, Chicago - Dice Baseball

Leading the series 2 games to 1, the Chicago White Sox got off to a hot start, jumping out to a 3-0 lead through 4 innings of Game 4. Hap Felsch got the scoring started for the Pale Hose with a home run in the 2nd inning. Chick Gandil, following Felsch with a base hit, came home when Swede Risberg tripled. After Eddie Collins tripled with one out in the third, Buck Weaver singled him home for Chicago's third run.

Chicago's Eddie Cicotte cruised through 4 innings, but got into trouble in the Reds' half of the 5th. Ivy Wingo and Lee Magee hit back-to-back singles with one out. After Cicotte fanned Morrie Rath, Jake Daubert reached on an infield single to load the bases. Heinie Groh then stepped up and delivered a bases-clearing triple to tie the game.

In the 6th inning, Larry Kopf singled to center and reached second when Felsch bobbled the ball. Kopf went to third when Cicotte balked and came home on Greasy Neale's sacrifice fly to left. The Reds would score again in the 9th to complete their scoring in a 5-3 victory. Dolfe Luque picked up the win for Cincinnati in relief of Jimmy Ring, who departed the game in the 4th inning trailing 3-0.

The Series is now tied at 2 games apiece.

Cincinnati 5 14 1
Chicago 3 9 1

WP- Luque
LP - Cicotte

Jump to: