Contents
· Forums
· Our Reviews
· Search
· Web Links
· Privacy Policy

Hosted Sites
· Downey Games
There are 125 unregistered users and 0 registered users on-line.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Other Stories
· Three New Ryder Cup Seasons Available (Oct 12, 2018)
· 2018 MLB Released for HardBall Wars (Oct 03, 2018)
· 2018 IndyCar Racing Year Book Available (Sep 26, 2018)
· 2018 PGA Tour Released (Sep 25, 2018)
· 2004 and 2007 Bull Riding Available (Sep 06, 2018)
· New Bull Riding Seasons Released (Aug 24, 2018)
· UQ Boxing 2018 Year Book Released (Aug 24, 2018)
· 2017 Drag Racing Available (Aug 01, 2018)
· 2018 World Cup Available (Jul 17, 2018)
· 2018 College Baseball and Softball Released (Jun 20, 2018)
tabletop-sports.com Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Brian4444Offline
Post subject: score question.  PostPosted: Aug 28, 2018 - 06:59 PM

I recently bought this game. And I wanted to give it a trial run. I didn't want to write players down and I ignore the rebounds,assists etc. Truth be told I don't want any of that. I can do that with a full play game. Is there any way I can get just the SCORE!!! I don't care about individual stats. I just want a score. Any short cuts. Thanks----Brian

Reply with quote Back to top
Downey GamesOffline
Post subject: Re: score question.  PostPosted: Aug 28, 2018 - 08:37 PM
Site Admin

Brian4444 wrote:
I recently bought this game. And I wanted to give it a trial run. I didn't want to write players down and I ignore the rebounds,assists etc. Truth be told I don't want any of that. I can do that with a full play game. Is there any way I can get just the SCORE!!! I don't care about individual stats. I just want a score. Any short cuts. Thanks----Brian

The entire point of the game is to provide player stats faster than a full play game. The score is completely derived from the player stats. The Ultra Quick Pro game produces only a final score. But that was not the design goal of Player of the Game at all.

Brian4444Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 29, 2018 - 02:27 AM

Thanks, I guess I misunderstood what the game was about. I did give it a try and It didn't seem accurate. But whenever I try it again I'm Going to play it without the additions/subtractions and all that. And play with 2 ten sided dice. And add them up against the guys scoring number. Since thats all I wanted that would be quicker. Then All I have to do is add the score. ----Brian

Jeff NicholsonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 29, 2018 - 12:09 PM

Brian4444 wrote:
Thanks, I guess I misunderstood what the game was about. I did give it a try and It didn't seem accurate. But whenever I try it again I'm Going to play it without the additions/subtractions and all that. And play with 2 ten sided dice. And add them up against the guys scoring number. Since thats all I wanted that would be quicker. Then All I have to do is add the score. ----Brian

POTG Basketball is far and away my favorite basketball game and your comment that it didn't seem accurate when you played it caught my eye. Can you elaborate on why it didn't seem accurate to you ? My experience has been just the opposite, I have found it to be extraordinarily accurate.

I can tell you that when you play the game in the future without using additions and subtractions such as DEF and HCA, you will definitely not get accurate results. Those ratings, used in conjunction with each team's Target Scoring Rolls, are what differentiates teams from one another.

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Brian4444Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 30, 2018 - 02:02 AM

I can't tell you how accurate this game is or isn't. I misunderstood what the game was about. I wasn't going to take the time and fill out a scoresheet with all the aditions and subtractions. I tried three games and from what I saw it wasn't worth my time.Those three games took more time to fill out what they want you to do than getting the actual score itself. To me there wasn't any build up or excitement in this at all. Sorry, After those three games. I put the game in the closet and pulled out another. Not worth it to me. And no the score was inaccurate and so was the iindividual scores. I can't speak for the assists rebounds . Because I really didn't care at that point. I know this game has alot of fans. It just wasn't for me. I threw it out so, I can't tell if it was accurate. ----Brian

DavePOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 30, 2018 - 09:08 AM

There's really no debate about Player of the Game Basketball's accuracy.

I looked back and found a Downey Games' post from 2007, discussing a couple of areas that were fine-tuned after the game was released:

"The previous methods of play had an average variance of 1.9%. The new methods bring the variance to about 1%."

"I wanted to illustrate how close we've gotten with the game mechanics and ratings...two seasons I ran through at random, showing wins and losses and points for and points against."

rickertOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 30, 2018 - 05:59 PM

Brian4444 wrote:
I can't tell you how accurate this game is or isn't. I misunderstood what the game was about. I wasn't going to take the time and fill out a scoresheet with all the aditions and subtractions. I tried three games and from what I saw it wasn't worth my time.Those three games took more time to fill out what they want you to do than getting the actual score itself. To me there wasn't any build up or excitement in this at all. Sorry, After those three games. I put the game in the closet and pulled out another. Not worth it to me. And no the score was inaccurate and so was the iindividual scores. I can't speak for the assists rebounds . Because I really didn't care at that point. I know this game has alot of fans. It just wasn't for me. I threw it out so, I can't tell if it was accurate. ----Brian

This is one of the most horrible assessments of a really good game as I have ever seen. The game can't be blamed because you ordered blindly without checking to see if it did what you wanted. What it does, it does very well, which is give realistic results in both team scores and individual scoring, assists and rebounding. There is even a variant that can give you quarter by quarter scoring so the drama part is covered too. The game still play in about 25% of the time needed to play a full, play-by=play tabletop basketball game.

Downey GamesOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 31, 2018 - 12:03 AM
Site Admin

Brian4444 wrote:

Brian,

I sent you an email and attachment. If you didn't get it, let me know.

Brian4444Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 31, 2018 - 02:09 AM

Thank you, But I'm quick played out. But thank you anyway. I apperciate the offer. ----Brian

Jeff NicholsonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 31, 2018 - 03:24 PM

Brian4444 wrote:

While we are certainly all free to like, or dislike, any game, I feel that it is a disservice to a game, as well as to a game company, and prospective purchasers of that game, to say that the game didn't seem accurate, without explaining why it didn't seem accurate. I asked if you would elaborate on why you felt that way, but, so far at least, you have not done so.

Additionally, a 3 game sample, of any company's game, for any sport, is statistically insignificant in determining the accuracy of a game. Indeed, a one-time full season run through of a game in which the '62 Mets win 70, or the '72-73 Sixers win 30, is not, in and of itself, enough to make a definitive statement about a game's accuracy. Would those results raise eyebrows ? Most definitely. But, given the randomness of dice rolls, especially over just a one season sample, those results are, from a statistics and probability standpoint, possible. If a game's engine is sound, those Mets are not likely to win anything close to 70, or those Sixers win anything close to 30, in any given season, but again, from a statistics and probability standpoint, it could happen. Similarly, it's possible that I could roll a d10 ten straight times and have it come up 10 every time. Possible, but given that the odds of it happening are 1 in 10,000,000,000 it's not likely.

Brian4444Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 01, 2018 - 03:35 AM

After thinking about it your right. Three games is not a large enough margin to really tell if a game is accurate or not. A small example. I replayed the entire 1974 WFL season with Gridirion Wars. I really love this game. However the Memphis Southmen won the title instead of the Americans . Although they defeated the Florida Blazers in my World Bowl. Does this mean that the game is inaccurate. No. I enjoyed every minute of it. And I got a kick out of the Downey site where they say can you take the Americans to the championship or will the Blazers or Southmen take it. They Knew LOL. Anyway. I wasn't trying to bad mouth the Downeys . They have excellent customer service and I have bought and enjoy all of their games. What I can't get around thou. Is filling out a scoresheet and all that requires to get a score. Its anticlimatic to me. Like I said If i'm going to do all that Than I'm going to play a fullplay game. Thats what I SHOULD have said and left it at that. ----Brian

Jump to: