· Search
· Web Links
· Privacy Policy

Hosted Sites
· Gary's Saddle Racing
· Legends of Boxing
· Decisive Action Sports
· Downey Games
There are 200 unregistered users and 0 registered users on-line.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Other Stories
· 2013 and 2017 President's Cup for POTG Golf Available (Oct 08, 2017)
· 2017 MLB Available for UQ Baseball (Oct 02, 2017)
· 2017 MLB Year Book released for HardBall Wars (Oct 02, 2017)
· 2017 PGA Tour Released for POTG Golf (Sep 27, 2017)
· Ultra Quick Wrestling 1960's Eastern Territory Available (Sep 22, 2017)
· Solheim Cup Year Books Released for POTG Golf (Aug 22, 2017)
· UQW 1965-1980 CWA and GCW Year Book Released (Aug 18, 2017)
· TV Pro Wrestling Expansion 6 Released (Aug 12, 2017)
· TV Pro Wrestling Expansion 5 Released (Aug 12, 2017)
· Ultra Quick MMA 2017 Available (Jul 25, 2017)
tabletop-sports.com Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Jeff NicholsonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 20, 2017 - 01:00 PM

Game 16

Philadelphia 76ers vs Houston Rockets
San Antonio, Texas
November 11, 1972

In the real life '72-73 season this was the first game that the Sixers won, as they defeated the Rockets by 2 points, 114-112. The replay however was an entirely different game as Houston had no trouble coming out on top, beating the Sixers by 21 points, 131-110.

Everyone who played for Philadelphia got notches in the scoring column, 6 of those entries showing double digits. John Block led the Sixers with 21, followed by Fred Carter with 18 and John Trapp with 14. Dale Schleuter, Freddie Boyd, and Manny Leaks put up 10 points each. Hal Greer and Mike Price just missed double figures as they hit for 9 points apiece. Houston also had 6 players in double figures, but the math was in their favor. Rudy Tomjanovich topped the Houston scoring by netting 25, with Jack Marin next at 20. Mike Newlin and Otto Moore both just missed the 20 point mark as they ended the game with 19 each. Calvin Murphy with 17, and Cliff Meely with 16, fell just a bit further short of the 20 point mark.

Next Game:
11/12/72 at Phoenix. This will be their first meeting of the season.

actual result:
Philadelphia - 114
Houston - 112

Philadelphia record:
actual (1-15)
replay (1-15)

Reply with quote Back to top
FrankCOffline
Post subject: 76's  PostPosted: May 20, 2017 - 01:23 PM

It is quite a project to replay a team that is one of the worst ever to play in the NBA although I guess that Carolina a few years back topped the 76's in woe.

I did a similiar replay some years back using the 1962 NY Mets. It was to say the least a very long season. It didn't help that I was a Mets fan and each loss was tough to take. I lost 124 games that was 4 more than they dropped in real life. I was using APBA Baseball. Never have so many D pitchers lined up to relieve other D pitchers.

I enjoy your write-ups. Needless to sat we won't be reading about playoffs.

Thanks, Frank

Jeff NicholsonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 21, 2017 - 01:20 PM

Frank, thanks for your note. The mid 60s to the mid 70s are my favorite era of pro basketball. When I decided to do a single team project these 76ers came immediately to mind.

As I mentioned in my first post, this team might not have been quite as bad as 9 wins. BR has them with an expected 15 wins, so with a few breaks here and there they may have been able to put up a few more W's. But, I guess that could be said of any team. Any way you slice it however, they were terrible. You're correct about the playoffs, they have as much chance of playing in the postseason as I do. Very Happy

Many, many years ago I played APBA quite extensively, so I know what you mean about those D pitchers. And if a pitcher was a D (W), that was like pouring two cans of gas on the fire instead of one !

Jeff NicholsonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 31, 2017 - 10:58 AM

Game 17

Philadelphia 76ers @ Phoenix Suns
Arizona Veterans Memorial Coliseum
November 12, 1972

In the second game of a six game road trip, Philadelphia travels to the Valley of the Sun and leaves with a crooked number in the W column, defeating Phoenix by 11 points, 111-100.

All 10 of the Sixers who played made it into the scoring column, with 5 of those hitting for 10 or more. Fred Carter and John Block led the team with 21 each, followed by Kevin Loughery with 18, Leroy Ellis with 15, and Freddie Boyd with 12. John Trapp just missed being a part of that group as he totaled 9 points. The Suns had 4 players notch double digits in scoring, with Charlie Scott's 28 points at the top of the list. Dick Van Arsdale netted 15, Neal Walk 14, and The Hawk 10. Clem Haskins, Gus Johnson, and Scott English put up 8 points each.

Next Game:
11/16/72 at Golden State. This will be their first meeting of the season.

actual result:
Philadelphia - 108
Phoenix - 119

Philadelphia record:
actual (1-16)
replay (2-15)

Jeff NicholsonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 07, 2017 - 11:09 AM

Game 18

Philadelphia 76ers @ Golden State Warriors
Oakland-Alameda Coliseum Arena
November 16, 1972

The Sixers visited the Bay Area on the third game of their road trip and narrowly missed claiming their second straight W, losing to the Golden State Warriors by 3 points, 99-96.

Philadelphia didn't have anyone crack 20 points, but they did have 6 players in double digits, with a seventh just missing the mark. Manny Leaks led the Sixers in scoring with 16. Fred Carter, John Block, and John Trapp added 13 each, with Kevin Loughery and Leroy Ellis putting up 11 apiece. Mike Price came close to joining the group as he finished with 9. The Warriors had one player go over 20 points as Jim Barnett hit for 23. Nate Thurmond with 18, Rick Barry with 16, and Jeff Mullins with 10, rounded out the double figure scoring for Golden State. Bob Portman just missed making it 5 for the Warriors as he ended the game with 9 points.

Next Game:
11/17/72 at Seattle. The SuperSonics won the previous meeting, in Philadelphia, by 15 points.

actual result:
Philadelphia - 106
Golden State - 128

Philadelphia record:
actual (1-17)
replay (2-16)

Jeff NicholsonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 14, 2017 - 12:48 PM

Game 19

Philadelphia 76ers @ Seattle SuperSonics
Seattle Center Coliseum
November 17, 1972

Break up the Sixers !

Philadelphia traveled to the Pacific Northwest for the fourth game of their road trip and left with their 2nd W in the last 3 games, thumping Seattle by 29 points, 125-96. Except for the narrow loss to Golden State in the previous game, Philadelphia could be riding a 3 game winning streak.

The Sixers got a contribution from everyone who took the floor, with 6 players notching double figures. Fred Carter led in scoring as he totaled 26, with John Block next at 23. Kevin Loughery with 17, Leroy Ellis with 12, Freddie Boyd with 11, and Manny Leaks with 10, rounded out the double digit scorers for Philadelphia. Dale Schlueter and Hal Greer hit for 8 points each. The SuperSonics also had 2 players hit for 20+, but the overall team effort fell short. Dick Snyder led Seattle with 24, followed by Spencer Haywood with 22. Downtown Freddie Brown hit for 13 points and Joby Wright added 10 to complete the double figure scoring for the SuperSonics.

Next Game:
11/19/72 at Los Angeles. This will be their first meeting of the season.

actual result:
Philadelphia - 92
Seattle - 105

Philadelphia record:
actual (1-18)
replay (3-16)

Chub9Offline
Post subject: 1972-73 Philadelphia 76erswith POTG Basketball  PostPosted: Jun 18, 2017 - 12:44 AM

loving the replay Jeff. At this pace the Sixers will have about 12 or 13 wins! Will shall see what happen.

Walter

Jeff NicholsonOffline
Post subject: Re: 1972-73 Philadelphia 76erswith POTG Basketball  PostPosted: Jun 21, 2017 - 01:57 PM

Chub9 wrote:
loving the replay Jeff. At this pace the Sixers will have about 12 or 13 wins! Will shall see what happen.

Walter

Thanks for the note Walter. I'm having a tremendous amount of fun with the replay. There's still a long way to go in the season, but with BR giving them an expected 15 wins, I would think that 12 or 13 is very possible.

Jeff NicholsonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 25, 2017 - 01:27 PM

Game 20

Philadelphia 76ers @ Los Angeles Lakers
The Forum
November 19, 1972

Tinseltown was the next stop for the Sixers where they faced the Los Angeles Lakers and fell by 10 points, 111-101.

Philadelphia had 2 players break 20, Fred Carter with 23, and Leroy Ellis with 22. John Block narrowly missed joining that group as he finished the game with 19. Manny Leaks was the only other Sixer to put up double digits as he totaled 11 points. Kevin Loughery and Dave Sorenson were close to double figures as they hit for 9, and 8. Freddie Boyd was next with 7 points. Dale Schlueter, Hal Greer, and John Trapp brought up the rear of the scoring column as they combined for just 2 points.

The Lakers didn't have anyone reach 20, but they did have 5 players in double figures with 2 others coming up just short. Happy Hairston and Jim McMillian led LA with 19 points each. Gail Goodrich was next with 18, followed by Bill Bridges with 17, and Wilt with 15. Jerry West had a subpar performance as he could only manage 9 points. Keith Erickson put up 8, with future coaching legend Pat Riley totaling 3 points. Jim Price and Flynn Robinson hit for 2, and 1, respectively.

Next Game:
11/24/72 vs Buffalo in Hershey, PA. The Sixers are 0-2 against the Braves this season.

actual result:
Philadelphia - 95
Los Angeles - 135

Philadelphia record:
actual (1-19)
replay (3-17)

Jeff NicholsonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 28, 2017 - 11:13 AM

Philadelphia record:

actual (1-19)
replay (3-17)

David HarrisOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 28, 2017 - 04:00 PM

Jeff, Really enjoying your write-ups with the replay. I'm playing POTG as well with the 1960's seasons. I'm re-playing the play-offs from each season. In my 1960 play-off replay Boston defeated Detroit 4 games to 3 in the finals with the home team winning each game. Currently, I'm in the 1961 play-off with Boston and St. Louis reaching the finals.

David

Jeff NicholsonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 30, 2017 - 08:35 PM

David,

Thanks for your note and for following the replay. I think POTG Basketball is a great game, I just wish that I had discovered it sooner than a few years ago.

I would really like to see your results, please post them if you have the time. The 60's and 70's were my favorite era of pro basketball.

Jeff

Jeff NicholsonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 08, 2017 - 01:53 PM

Game 21

Philadelphia 76ers -vs- Buffalo Braves
Hershey, PA
November 24, 1972

The final stop on the road trip was Hershey, Pennsylvania, the site of Wilt's 100 point game 10 years prior, for a contest with the Buffalo Braves. Rest assured, The Big Dipper's record is still safe, although both teams did manage to break the century mark as the Braves topped the Sixers by 19 points, 134-115.

Just how bad are the Sixers ? Here's an example. In the real life '72-73 season Buffalo tied Portland for the second worst record in the league at 21-61. In the replay, the Sixers have played the Braves 3 times, losing all 3 games, by 29, 39, and 19 points. An average margin of defeat of 29 points per game. What must Chicago, Phoenix, and Seattle be thinking ?

8 of the 9 Braves who took the floor scored in double digits, led by Bob Kauffman with 28. Randy Smith also broke 20 as he netted 21 points. John Hummer was next as he tossed in 17, followed by Dick Garrett with 16, Fred Hilton with 15, and Elmore Smith with 14. Bill Hewitt and Bob McAdoo rounded out the double digit scorers for Buffalo as they each finished with 10. Howard Komives found himself at the bottom of the scoring column for the Braves as he ended the game with just 3 points.

The Sixers also had 2 players crack the 20 point mark, but the rest of the team couldn't match the Braves. John Block led Philadelphia with 24 points, while Fred Carter was close on his heels with 23. Leroy Ellis missed 20 by just a basket, finishing with 18 points. John Trapp was next with a total of 12 points for the game. Philadelphia had 4 players that came close to totaling double digits, which would have given the Sixers 8 for the game, the same number as Buffalo. Freddie Boyd had 9 points, with Dale Schlueter, Hal Greer, and Manny Leaks each scoring 8. Kevin Loughery brought up the rear with 5 points.

Next Game:
11/25/72 vs Portland at The Spectrum. This will be their first meeting of the season.

actual result:
Philadelphia - 96
Buffalo - 105

Philadelphia record:
actual (1-20)
replay (3-18)

Jeff NicholsonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 21, 2017 - 12:57 PM

Game 22

Portland Trail Blazers @ Philadelphia 76ers
The Spectrum
November 25, 1972

Asking again, just how bad are the Sixers, here's another example. In their return to the Spectrum, the Sixers are thrashed by the aforementioned Portland Trail Blazers, suffering a 22 point home loss. Worse, the anemic Philadelphia offense could only manage 74 points, while the defense allowed Portland to score 96.

The Trail Blazers had 4 players in double figures, led by Geoff Petrie with 29 points. Ollie Johnson was next with 17, followed by Sidney Wicks with 14, and Dave Wohl with 10. LaRue Martin, the #1 overall pick in the 1972 NBA draft, just missed double figures as he finished with 9 points.

Philadelphia had only 3 players hit double digits, with none cracking the 20 point mark. John Block topped the scoring column for the Sixers as he tossed in 17 points, with Fred Carter next at 15. John Trapp rounded out the double digit scoring as he totaled 13. Manny Leaks just missed joining this group as he notched 9 points. At the bottom of the scoring column, Leroy Ellis and Hal Greer combined for just 1 point.

Next Game:
11/28/72 at Buffalo. The Sixers are 0-3 vs the Braves this season.

actual result:
Portland - 117
Philadelphia - 106

Philadelphia record:
actual (1-21)
replay (3-19)

Jeff NicholsonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 29, 2017 - 12:29 PM

Game 23

Philadelphia 76ers @ Buffalo Braves
Buffalo Memorial Auditorium
November 28, 1972

The Sixers travelled to Buffalo and pulled off a double, of sorts. Philadelphia won the real life game by 7 points, 101-94. In the replay, they eked out a 1 point win over the Braves, 128-127.

A bugaboo all season for the Sixers has been getting meaningful contributions from those at the bottom of the scoring column. That ship was righted, at least for this game, as everyone who played pulled their own weight. Given the slim margin of victory, that has to be looked at as the key to the win. John Block led the Sixers in scoring as he totaled 29 points, with Fred Carter next at 25. The double digit scoring was rounded out by the trio of Leroy Ellis with 18, Kevin Loughery with 17, and John Trapp with 16. Dale Schlueter just missed double digits as he tossed in 9. Freddie Boyd and Manny Leaks hit for 7 each.

The Braves had 6 players in double figures, including one 30 point scorer and another who was just a field goal away from 30. On the flip side, the bottom 3 in the scoring column only contributed 7 points. Buffalo was topped by Bob Kauffman who came close to doubling his real life PPG as he netted 30 points. Bob McAdoo came close to 30 as he put up 28. Elmore Smith hit for 19, followed by Randy Smith with 18, Fred Hilton with 14, and Dick Garrett with 11.

Next Game:
11/29/72 vs New York at The Spectrum. The Sixers are 0-2 vs the Knicks this season, losing by 54 and 27 points.

actual result:
Philadelphia - 101
Buffalo - 94

Philadelphia record:
actual (2-21)
replay (4-19)

Jump to: