· Search
· Web Links
· Privacy Policy

Hosted Sites
· Gary's Saddle Racing
· Legends of Boxing
· Decisive Action Sports
· Downey Games
There are 133 unregistered users and 0 registered users on-line.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Other Stories
· 2017 Game Winning Drive College Football Available (Dec 13, 2017)
· 2017 Ultra Quick College Football Available (Dec 12, 2017)
· 2017 College Football Universe Available for Final Score (Dec 12, 2017)
· 2017 Thanksgiving Sale Extended 24 hours (Nov 25, 2017)
· 2017 Thanksgiving Sale at Downey Games (Nov 21, 2017)
· History of Women's World Cup Soccer Released (Nov 04, 2017)
· 2016-17 Universe Released for Downey's Final Score Soccer (Nov 03, 2017)
· Momentum Football 1968 Season Available (Oct 29, 2017)
· 2013 and 2017 President's Cup for POTG Golf Available (Oct 08, 2017)
· 2017 MLB Available for UQ Baseball (Oct 02, 2017)
tabletop-sports.com Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
rickertOffline
Post subject: new baseball idea for me at least  PostPosted: Apr 03, 2016 - 09:44 AM

I have stopped three different baseball projects because I had this new idea for a project that I believe will be sustainable and interesting.

I like many tabletop baseball games and sticking with one for a long period of time is always a hurdle to sticking with a project long term. Add to that the fact that I don't really like keeping stats for teams makes running a league a less enjoyable project for me.

So this is what I am going to do. I am going to run a challenge series. I will start with two teams. The teams I choose will either be favorites of mine, teams that are memorable to me, teams that present intriguing matchup possibilities or teams that have one or more players that I want to see perform on my tabletop. I will play a series of games. I haven't yet decided the length. I am leaning toward a five-game set because I like using 4 starting pitchers and then bring back No. 1 for a fifth and final game if there is one. I would welcome opinions on anything about this idea by the way.

The winner of the series will move on to the next series against a new challenger. Over time I will keep track of the teams and their overall records. Just because a team loses a series, doesn't mean they won't return at some point to play again when the mood strikes me or the current champ presents an interesting matchup or I am in the mood to play with the game for which I have that team rated.

Next comes the games. This is where I have a qualifier. In order for me to use a game I obviously need to own the game and it needs to offer me the option of being able to create teams for myself. Current that means I can use Cardboard Baseball, History Maker, Statis-Pro, Dice Baseball 2, Extra Innings, Baseball 5.0 and Baseball Manager. I may have forgotten one but if I have I will update this post. I would include Back to Basics since all teams are available, but to me the game isn't realistic in terms of the offense generated. I also would love to use Roster Card, but while I really like the game and its teams are inexpensive, that isn't the same as generating my own.

Sorry this has gotten so long winded. I am starting with 2 Dodgers teams and Cardboard Baseball - the 1941 and 1953 Brooklyn teams. It will have Pee Wee Reese playing against himself, but this is a fantasy series and I personally like the idea that I am certain my first champ will be a Dodgers team. After that, who knows what teams will appear, but I will take suggestions if there is any interest in doing that.

Please let me know if anyone has done something like that. As I stated, this is sustainable for me because it is flexible and because there is no obvious end to it. Hopefully, if there is interest, I will post at the end of each series the scores and a few highlights and what game was used. Wish me luck.

Reply with quote Back to top
ljean8080Offline
Post subject: Are the teams for Cardboard Board baseball  PostPosted: Apr 03, 2016 - 10:13 AM

still available on the website?

rickertOffline
Post subject: RE: Are the teams for Cardboard Board baseball  PostPosted: Apr 03, 2016 - 10:21 AM

No, but since the cards are based on real stats and not ratings from formulas, it is easy to make your own cards. There is a free Excel template to help you do that offered on this site.

shoalh2oOffline
Post subject: RE: Are the teams for Cardboard Board baseball  PostPosted: Apr 03, 2016 - 09:17 PM

I have the same problem of staying with one thing for any length of time. And wanting to use different teams. So, a long time ago, I decided to do something like Roy Langhans' Game of the Day on the APBA BTL forum on Delphi. Only I use more teams, and occasionally conduct "in-season" random matchups (right now, for example, I'm playing randomly matched up games with teams from 1982). I mainly use the line of Haffner Sports Games, but also use Baseball Manager from time to time.

Jump to: