Contents
· Forums
· Our Reviews
· Search
· Web Links
· Privacy Policy

Hosted Sites
· Downey Games
There are 133 unregistered users and 0 registered users on-line.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Other Stories
· 2018 Game Winning Drive College Football Available (Dec 10, 2018)
· 2018 Ultra Quick College Football Available (Dec 09, 2018)
· 2018 College Available for Downey's FS Football (Dec 09, 2018)
· Downey Games 2018 Cyber Monday Sale (Nov 26, 2018)
· Thanksgiving Sale 2018 at Downey Games (Nov 16, 2018)
· UQ Baseball 2018 MLB Season Released (Nov 12, 2018)
· Three New Ryder Cup Seasons Available (Oct 12, 2018)
· 2018 MLB Released for HardBall Wars (Oct 03, 2018)
· 2018 IndyCar Racing Year Book Available (Sep 26, 2018)
· 2018 PGA Tour Released (Sep 25, 2018)
tabletop-sports.com Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
rickertOffline
Post subject: Mixing decade sets together for FAR  PostPosted: Dec 17, 2015 - 03:23 PM

Has anyone attempted to mix the Decade sets for Fast Action Racing together for a big All-Star competition? I just wonder if it would work. I am not talking about mxing the stock car and open wheel sets together.

Reply with quote Back to top
Downey GamesOffline
Post subject: Re: Mixing decade sets together for FAR  PostPosted: Dec 18, 2015 - 11:18 AM
Site Admin

rickert wrote:
Has anyone attempted to mix the Decade sets for Fast Action Racing together for a big All-Star competition? I just wonder if it would work. I am not talking about mxing the stock car and open wheel sets together.

The decade sets are, of course created within the decade represented. While the cards are created upon sound data, we are still essentially dealing with a hypothetical scenario. So, there is really nothing stopping you from doing this. I mean, I think on at least some level, we can confidently say that Jeff Gordon, for example, would be a great driver in any decade. Same could be said of Richard Petty, Dale Earnhardt, etc.

So, there is nothing to prevent you from doing so. I do it all of the time. This is my personal favorite game to play, and I have run many, many races. I still get the same excitement and anticipation during my gaming as I did the first race. That is a sign to me, at least, of a compelling game.

To run a "mix" of seasons, or sets, it does require you to do a slight bit of extra work. First, you have to use the optional qualifying system that is in the Decade year books, or you have to draw for the pole. Personally, I enjoy the optional system, so I use that anyway. Secondly, you have to break any "ties" for lap leader ratings. Meaning that when you combine drivers from multiple sets, you'll often have duplicate 1s, 2s and so on for the lap leader rating. You also have to break ties for the Rank rating. While not the most technically sound system, I just break the "ties" with race wins, or just use my own judgement. It works fine for my tastes, and gets me to the action quicker, which is my priority.

There is something extra exciting, seeing all of those great names on the game board at the same time. And best of all, to me, you can run multiple seasons, and have some variety. The cream always rises to the top. But, you can have several different race winners throughout the replay, which I enjoy.

rickertOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 18, 2015 - 01:06 PM

I appreciate your reply. I will buy into a couple of the decades and try it out right after I finish buying Christmas for everyone else. You bring out many interesting points.

rickertOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 18, 2015 - 01:59 PM

Are the yellow ratings in the 80s stock car set supposed to be very low? I think only seven drivers have a yellow rating of 5 or above and only one has a 7 and none higher. I just ran a race where 11 drivers had DNFs due to crashes alone. Just wanted to be sure this high attrition rate was normal for that time period.

DocSavageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 18, 2015 - 03:58 PM

Rick, I am pretty sure that is correct on that high attrition rate in the 80s. I remember when we tried to rate some seasons for NASCAR Grandstand back in the day and being amazed at how many drivers would not finish in each race and the high Mech and Crash ratings those seasons brought. Technology wasn't what it is today back then, I'm sure!

Dave

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
rickertOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 18, 2015 - 04:38 PM

Thanks Dave. I figured it was correct but seeing all of those big names and the low numbers was a bit jarring.

Jump to: