Contents
· Forums
· Our Reviews
· Search
· Web Links
· Privacy Policy

Hosted Sites
· Downey Games
There are 87 unregistered users and 1 registered user on-line.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Other Stories
· 2018 Game Winning Drive College Football Available (Dec 10, 2018)
· 2018 Ultra Quick College Football Available (Dec 09, 2018)
· 2018 College Available for Downey's FS Football (Dec 09, 2018)
· Downey Games 2018 Cyber Monday Sale (Nov 26, 2018)
· Thanksgiving Sale 2018 at Downey Games (Nov 16, 2018)
· UQ Baseball 2018 MLB Season Released (Nov 12, 2018)
· Three New Ryder Cup Seasons Available (Oct 12, 2018)
· 2018 MLB Released for HardBall Wars (Oct 03, 2018)
· 2018 IndyCar Racing Year Book Available (Sep 26, 2018)
· 2018 PGA Tour Released (Sep 25, 2018)
tabletop-sports.com Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mksternOffline
Post subject: Fast Action Racing - Last section and post race Qs  PostPosted: Mar 16, 2015 - 08:00 PM

If the "Mech ?" and "Contact ?"Events don't happen on the last section, do the Challenges happen or are they dependent on each event? Other than the Final Challenge, I can't tell if the others in that section are automatic.
In other words if no event happens on section 5, are there 3 Challenges in a row to end the race??
Mitch

Also, in the Results section of the rules there is a strange (to me) wording for #6 that reads "Drivers in the remaining groove(s) going clockwise USING PRIORITY RULES, ranked in order of race rating......
If the groove is a single file line, how to priority rules fit in????

thanks - Mitch

Reply with quote Back to top
Downey GamesOffline
Post subject: Re: Fast Action Racing - Last section and post race Qs  PostPosted: Mar 17, 2015 - 02:12 PM
Site Admin

mkstern wrote:
If the "Mech ?" and "Contact ?"Events don't happen on the last section, do the Challenges happen or are they dependent on each event? Other than the Final Challenge, I can't tell if the others in that section are automatic.
In other words if no event happens on section 5, are there 3 Challenges in a row to end the race??
Mitch

Yes, the challenges are not conditional. Only items on the score sheet with a "?" are conditional.

mkstern wrote:

Also, in the Results section of the rules there is a strange (to me) wording for #6 that reads "Drivers in the remaining groove(s) going clockwise USING PRIORITY RULES, ranked in order of race rating......
If the groove is a single file line, how to priority rules fit in????

thanks - Mitch

You use the priority rules in relation to the race winner, in event there is a tie for race rating.

mksternOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Fast Action Racing - Last section and post race Qs  PostPosted: Mar 17, 2015 - 08:04 PM

ok but that confuses me further....if placement was meant to follow priority rules, then why when you check the drivers on the winner's groove you start with the 6 o'clock position on the groove? Shouldn't it be starting with the 12 o'clock position to go by priority rules??
NOW FOR THE BIG QUESTION - I have played a few times and still can't figure out the Challenge rules regarding random drivers. All through the rules it looks like you obtain a true random driver by rolling the red-white dice, and using THAT driver unless he is lapped, in which case you roll again. BUT - BUT - on page 14 it says.. "a driver is successful in being randomly selected if his Race Rating is the highest among the drivers occupying the square indicated by the Red/White dice and adjacent squares." So which is it? THE driver in the R/W space, or the highest rated of the 5 drivers when conducting a challenge???? - Mitch

rickertOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 17, 2015 - 08:57 PM

I believe there is only one time that you do that and I think it is on the final challenge. Otherwise it is completely random which car is picked by the red and white dice and then most of the time it is the cars surrounding that car who also get to challenge in priority order.

Downey GamesOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: Fast Action Racing - Last section and post race   PostPosted: Mar 17, 2015 - 09:02 PM
Site Admin

mkstern wrote:
ok but that confuses me further....if placement was meant to follow priority rules, then why when you check the drivers on the winner's groove you start with the 6 o'clock position on the groove? Shouldn't it be starting with the 12 o'clock position to go by priority rules??

The winner's groove is the exception on the results section, which is why it is highlighted. This represents a car that was behind the leader in proximity as sort of a picture for the gamer's mind. But, we are going by race rating, and then moving clock-wise.

Keep in mind that the grid is a bit of an abstract in regards to proximity of the race winner.

mkstern wrote:

NOW FOR THE BIG QUESTION - I have played a few times and still can't figure out the Challenge rules regarding random drivers. All through the rules it looks like you obtain a true random driver by rolling the red-white dice, and using THAT driver unless he is lapped, in which case you roll again. BUT - BUT - on page 14 it says.. "a driver is successful in being randomly selected if his Race Rating is the highest among the drivers occupying the square indicated by the Red/White dice and adjacent squares." So which is it? THE driver in the R/W space, or the highest rated of the 5 drivers when conducting a challenge???? - Mitch

It is actually both. Throughout the rules, as you say, you are selecting a true random driver. Page 14, deals with Challenges during the closing laps phase, which is why it is highlighted. During the closing laps phase, you are rolling for a random driver, and then selecting the highest race rating by priority rules.

This is done to simulate how the better drivers are most often challenging late in the race. During the initial phases things are truly random, to simulate how you can have several drivers doing well then drop off as the race progresses. In the final stages, you have the better drivers moving to the front challenging for the lead, and the win.

The system allows for some surprise winners, but is also designed to have a surprise or two on occasion. I did not design the game. But, I am certainly a huge fan of the game, and the system.

mksternOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: Fast Action Racing - Last section and post r  PostPosted: Mar 17, 2015 - 11:03 PM

ok thanks! That helps a lot! I do like it, though you guys should fix the misspellings in the scoresheet (adjascent) and rules (rave leader), especially in the pdfs
I'll probably pick up a couple seasons.....

Mitch

mksternOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: Fast Action Racing - Last section and post r  PostPosted: Mar 18, 2015 - 11:30 PM

hi! Me again! Smile So...I'm at Salem from the short track set, and the pole speed was 115.433. There were 6 cautions, and according to the rules I multiply the 6 by the CLF of 7.36 to arrive at 45 laps under caution.
Then I multiply the number of laps run under caution (45) by the CSF of 3.706 as stated and get 166.77, which I finally subtract from the pole speed and get the winner's average speed as -51.337 mph. Did he drive in reverse the whole race or did I do something wrong? Help....Mitch

philrivOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: Fast Action Racing - Last section and post r  PostPosted: Mar 19, 2015 - 12:37 PM

[quote="mkstern"]hi! Me again! Smile So...IOk, not sure about the set you are using but a CSF of 3.706 on a short track is extremely unlikely. Tony or Chris will have a definite answer on that but at first glance it appears that the CSF was calculated per caution rather than per lap. On a short track I would expect the CSF to be a decimal value such as .xxx
With 6 cautions x 3.706 you would get 22.236 and a winner's average of 93.197mph, assuming that 3.706 was the value per caution.
Phil.

miatajay527Offline
Post subject: Please help me understand Grooves  PostPosted: Mar 19, 2015 - 01:05 PM

In my rule book Groove Priority has me stumped.

If the winner is on block 32.

Middle Groove is priority 1.

-- Does that mean every car in that row to the left (ie 42, 52, 62) is placed in order of Race Rating finishes behind the race leader and the other cars that came in behind him based on the "The Results Section".

Then we go to the Top Groove which is blocks 33, 43, 53, 63 and then the Bottom groove blocks 31, 41, 51, 61.

after that then we go to 6 O'clock position:

Middle groove (what's left of straight down from winner: 31 is gone)
Top Groove = block 41
Bottom Groove = block 21

then go to 9 O'clock and so on.

Or am I really missing the boat here.

Please help.

Thanks,

Jay

This aside, I really like the game.

philrivOffline
Post subject: RE: Please help me understand Grooves  PostPosted: Mar 19, 2015 - 03:03 PM

Hi Jay,

First of all, glad you like the game. Secondly, the groove and priority is fairly simple (but probably harder to describe accurately).
Please check your rulebook as you read the following.
1) Go to page 4 and check the picture of the track. You will notice three distinct areas shaded slightly darker as you go toward the center. These are the three groves: Bottom, Middle and Top as written on squares 66, 55 & 44. There are essential in the post race process of ranking finishers and determining drivers on the lead lap. Bottom groove runs around the outer edge of the track. Top groove is formed of 4 squares 33, 34, 43 & 44. Middle groove is between Bottom and Top.

2) Page 5 has explanations of the priority order. This is constant throughout the game.
3) Page 14 lists the finishing order including priority rules, and I have sent Downey Games a PDF document explaining the process with graphics. I hope it will be posted in the free download section of the site.
Phil.

miatajay527Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 19, 2015 - 04:06 PM

That was a great help, I thought I must have been overlooking something.

Now I think I get it.

Time for another race!

Thanks
Jay

Downey GamesOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Please help me understand Grooves  PostPosted: Mar 19, 2015 - 04:09 PM
Site Admin

philriv wrote:
Hi Jay,

First of all, glad you like the game. Secondly, the groove and priority is fairly simple (but probably harder to describe accurately).
Please check your rulebook as you read the following.
1) Go to page 4 and check the picture of the track. You will notice three distinct areas shaded slightly darker as you go toward the center. These are the three groves: Bottom, Middle and Top as written on squares 66, 55 & 44. There are essential in the post race process of ranking finishers and determining drivers on the lead lap. Bottom groove runs around the outer edge of the track. Top groove is formed of 4 squares 33, 34, 43 & 44. Middle groove is between Bottom and Top.

2) Page 5 has explanations of the priority order. This is constant throughout the game.
3) Page 14 lists the finishing order including priority rules, and I have sent Downey Games a PDF document explaining the process with graphics. I hope it will be posted in the free download section of the site.
Phil.

I have posted the file that Phil created, which should help as a visual aid, in addition to what is in the rule booklet.

http://tabletop-sports.com/modules.php?name=UpDownload&req=getit&lid=2894

milwchampOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 19, 2015 - 04:55 PM

I'm wondering what the playing time is after the game is learned ?

rickertOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 19, 2015 - 07:00 PM

First of all, that file that was created is worth its weight in gold. All FAR fans, new and old, should read it.

Secondly, I easily run a full race in under an hour.

mksternOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 20, 2015 - 12:15 AM

Phil - This is the set that comes with the game by default. 36 drivers, 20 short tracks and the CSF numbers go as high 8.596 in Milwaukee!!! Ok, so for this set use the number of cautions. No one has caught this?
Thanks for jumping in, and as I get the rules clarified I like it more and more. Truthfully I bought it because it was your design. - Mitch
P.S. thanks for the chart on race finish. Was wishing for it as I finished the rules.....I was messing up how Top and Middle merge at the end.

Jump to: