Contents
· Forums
· Our Reviews
· Search
· Web Links
· Privacy Policy

Hosted Sites
· Downey Games
There are 136 unregistered users and 0 registered users on-line.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Other Stories
· 2018 Ultra Quick College Football Available (Dec 09, 2018)
· 2018 College Available for Downey's FS Football (Dec 09, 2018)
· Downey Games 2018 Cyber Monday Sale (Nov 26, 2018)
· Thanksgiving Sale 2018 at Downey Games (Nov 16, 2018)
· UQ Baseball 2018 MLB Season Released (Nov 12, 2018)
· Three New Ryder Cup Seasons Available (Oct 12, 2018)
· 2018 MLB Released for HardBall Wars (Oct 03, 2018)
· 2018 IndyCar Racing Year Book Available (Sep 26, 2018)
· 2018 PGA Tour Released (Sep 25, 2018)
· 2004 and 2007 Bull Riding Available (Sep 06, 2018)
tabletop-sports.com Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Big_CityOffline
Post subject: Ali Survives Scare From Jersey Joe  PostPosted: Oct 31, 2012 - 08:03 PM

In celebration of Halloween, I staged a bout between Muhammad Ali and Jersey Joe Walcott. Wow what a fight! Ali was knocked down by a strong left from Jersey Joe in the first round and barely beat the count. Ali rallied to win by a knockout in the 7th. The details are at my website.

"So I run straight to the goal with purpose in every step. I fight to win. I'm not just shadow-boxing or playing around." (I Cor. 9:26)

Reply with quote Back to top
FrankCOffline
Post subject: Jersey Joe  PostPosted: Nov 01, 2012 - 02:18 PM

Jersey Joe was a technician in the ring. He wasn't flashy and when he won the title most people looked at him to be a boring champion. I was only 12 when I watched him beat Ezzard Charles on TV. No one gave him a ghost of a chance. Charles was also unappreciated so the fight was ho-hum to most and given the fact that Charles had beaten Jersey joe earlier it was suppose to be a lapper.

I had the privilege of seeing Joe in an exhibition match at the New Bedford docks when Joe was barnstorming. Back then it was the custom for champions to barnstorm, fighting up to 8 or 10 matches in a day against local talent. The champ usually danced around for 2 minutes and then put the local down with ease. Our local was Gravedigger Roberts who was pretty good for the city but not for Jersey Joe. I will never forget that bout at the dock when several hundred gathered around some whaling rope and wondered if Gravedigger could take out Jersey Joe. We got our answer 2 minutes later and it could have been 15 seconds.

Big_City, Thanks for this bout. I would love to see Joe meet Ezzard Charles again. Charles was a good heavyweight and probably the best light heavyweight ever.

Big_CityOffline
Post subject: RE: Jersey Joe  PostPosted: Nov 01, 2012 - 09:25 PM

I enjoyed reading your accounts of watching the Walcott-Charles bout and Jersey Joe's exhibition match. In honor of those old warhorses, I'll recreate the 1951 Walcott-Charles bout using Data Boxing. Stay tuned.

"So I run straight to the goal with purpose in every step. I fight to win. I'm not just shadow-boxing or playing around." (I Cor. 9:26)

FrankCOffline
Post subject: Jersey Joe  PostPosted: Nov 02, 2012 - 12:59 PM

Joe's life was like James Braddock in the rags to riches style. His early career was put on hold when he was stricken with typhoid. It reduced him to being a 2nd tier fighter who was supporting his mother and sibblings at the time. A black 2nd tier fighter in the 30's was getting a very skimpy pay. Like Braddock, Walcott was from New Jersey thus the name that was attached to his favorite fighter from years before. He was on the welfare role when he was unable to find regular jobs or boxing matches. His career seemed over during the WW II era but he struck paydirt at the close of the war. He fought and beat Curtis Sheppard, Jimmy Bivins, Lee Oma and Tommy Gomez before losing to Joey Maxim and Elmer Ray. Jersey Joe came back to beat Ray and Maxim twice then lost a title fight to Joe Louis that most think he won. Joe was 33 when he got this title shot. 4 years later at 37 he won the title and his dream come true.

Big_CityOffline
Post subject: Re: Jersey Joe  PostPosted: Nov 02, 2012 - 07:00 PM

FrankC wrote:
Joe's life was like James Braddock in the rags to riches style. His early career was put on hold when he was stricken with typhoid. It reduced him to being a 2nd tier fighter who was supporting his mother and sibblings at the time. A black 2nd tier fighter in the 30's was getting a very skimpy pay. Like Braddock, Walcott was from New Jersey thus the name that was attached to his favorite fighter from years before. He was on the welfare role when he was unable to find regular jobs or boxing matches. His career seemed over during the WW II era but he struck paydirt at the close of the war. He fought and beat Curtis Sheppard, Jimmy Bivins, Lee Oma and Tommy Gomez before losing to Joey Maxim and Elmer Ray. Jersey Joe came back to beat Ray and Maxim twice then lost a title fight to Joe Louis that most think he won. Joe was 33 when he got this title shot. 4 years later at 37 he won the title and his dream come true.

What a great story on the value of persistence! I am a big fan of both Walcott and Braddock.

Jump to: