Contents
· Forums
· Our Reviews
· Search
· Web Links
· Privacy Policy

Hosted Sites
· Downey Games
There are 175 unregistered users and 0 registered users on-line.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Other Stories
· Thanksgiving Sale 2018 at Downey Games (Nov 16, 2018)
· UQ Baseball 2018 MLB Season Released (Nov 12, 2018)
· Three New Ryder Cup Seasons Available (Oct 12, 2018)
· 2018 MLB Released for HardBall Wars (Oct 03, 2018)
· 2018 IndyCar Racing Year Book Available (Sep 26, 2018)
· 2018 PGA Tour Released (Sep 25, 2018)
· 2004 and 2007 Bull Riding Available (Sep 06, 2018)
· New Bull Riding Seasons Released (Aug 24, 2018)
· UQ Boxing 2018 Year Book Released (Aug 24, 2018)
· 2017 Drag Racing Available (Aug 01, 2018)
tabletop-sports.com Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MovieTorOffline
Post subject: Mean Gene Football equals GREAT!!  PostPosted: Aug 16, 2010 - 10:58 AM

I was skeptical about this game. I bought Grid Iron War and didnít like it. I couldnít play it nearly as fast as advertised.

But this game is brilliant! My first game took a while to learn the rules and the fast cards. But once I got them down it was a snapper. Played my last game in 40 minutes and it was a classic. Alabama held off a late charge by Florida to win 21-17.

I really like how players make a big difference. Even the linesman make or break a play.

I also think these are your best rules yet. Very complete and easy to learn by.

I really love this game and will be buying all the seasons you make.

Please make more college teams.

===---josef---===

Reply with quote Back to top
Chris HawesOffline
Post subject: RE: Mean Gene Football equals GREAT!!  PostPosted: Aug 17, 2010 - 09:17 AM

MovieTor wrote:
I was skeptical about this game. I bought Grid Iron War and didnít like it. I couldnít play it nearly as fast as advertised.

But this game is brilliant! My first game took a while to learn the rules and the fast cards. But once I got them down it was a snapper. Played my last game in 40 minutes and it was a classic. Alabama held off a late charge by Florida to win 21-17.

I really like how players make a big difference. Even the linesman make or break a play.

===---josef---===
Hey josef, I am really intrigued by this new game. I too bought GIW, however I do like it but I think I'm looking for something a little more "detailed and involved" and hoping Mean Gene's offers just that. Can you tell me anymore about it? For instance, how realistic it is(are the stats pretty reasonable?) Also, I think there is a weather option,are there injury possibilities too? I guess I'm just looking for as much detail How about the penalties and the special teams play? Sorry to bother you with so many questions,but I think I am gonna make this purchase and just like real honest opinions and as much info before I do. Thanks very much,
Chris

jdowneyadminOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Mean Gene Football equals GREAT!!  PostPosted: Aug 17, 2010 - 10:52 AM
Site Admin

Chris Hawes wrote:
MovieTor wrote:

===---josef---===
Hey josef, I am really intrigued by this new game. I too bought GIW, however I do like it but I think I'm looking for something a little more "detailed and involved" and hoping Mean Gene's offers just that. Can you tell me anymore about it? For instance, how realistic it is(are the stats pretty reasonable?) Also, I think there is a weather option,are there injury possibilities too? I guess I'm just looking for as much detail How about the penalties and the special teams play? Sorry to bother you with so many questions,but I think I am gonna make this purchase and just like real honest opinions and as much info before I do. Thanks very much,
Chris

I'm not Joe, but I can answer some of your questions.

Although, I'll leave the opinions to others, as I'm a biased judge, in that regard.

In terms of stats, the game puts up very good numbers when compared to actual stats. I don't think this is really unique as there are a lot of games that can put up good numbers.

There are injuries, special teams play and penalties.

The thing that differentiates Mean Gene's Match-Up Football from other games is that it takes into account every player on the field. Meaning that your Left Tackle can make a difference in this game. It also gives you some things to think about when play calling.

And the other standout is the play time. The game plays very quick for a full play-by-play game.

It's also a very good head-to-head game, as well as solitaire.

Maybe the best thing is at the end of the game, you feel as if you got the "full story" as to why a team one or lost. Maybe it was due to great plays by your linebackers. Or great blocking by your guards.

I guess I gave some opinion in there as well. Smile

Chris HawesOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 17, 2010 - 01:48 PM

Hey Jeff, thanks so much for your response and in depth review of your new Football game. You are right about realism and stats, I mean why would anyone design a game that would'nt be realsitic and close to real life stats? (Sorry about even asking that one!) I do very much enjoy your GIW game and have started a 1970 full season replay although I play more baseball sim now until football season starts and then I will have to do a litle more juggling. With my GIW comments being said and reading your comments about if your happy with one game why switch to another? I still am definately gonna purchase Mean Gene's football game. I guess I like to have more than one game(engine) to play and compare and I really, really like the idea of all players on the field being rated and coming into play at certain poiints. I'm thinking the 76' NFL season since I am more of a "throw back guy" and after I learn it and fall in love with the game (no doubt) I will be purchasing more season! I also guess I just like to hear fellow gamers reviews and opinions before I buy but what better than to hear from Jeff Downey himself?! Thanks again Jeff,
Chris

indianaiceOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 17, 2010 - 04:24 PM

From the description of the game, it sounds good. What will really push me over the edge is the release of both 1974 and 1975 WFL seasons. 1985 USFL does peak my interest just a bit.

My one question for Jeff is, how does the game replicate the special teams (Kickoff, punt, field goals) and will there be some rare plays? Just curious. I currently play Momentum and GWD.

Edward R. Meek

Jump to: