Contents
· Forums
· Our Reviews
· Search
· Web Links
· Privacy Policy

Hosted Sites
· Downey Games
There are 135 unregistered users and 0 registered users on-line.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Other Stories
· Three New Ryder Cup Seasons Available (Oct 12, 2018)
· 2018 MLB Released for HardBall Wars (Oct 03, 2018)
· 2018 IndyCar Racing Year Book Available (Sep 26, 2018)
· 2018 PGA Tour Released (Sep 25, 2018)
· 2004 and 2007 Bull Riding Available (Sep 06, 2018)
· New Bull Riding Seasons Released (Aug 24, 2018)
· UQ Boxing 2018 Year Book Released (Aug 24, 2018)
· 2017 Drag Racing Available (Aug 01, 2018)
· 2018 World Cup Available (Jul 17, 2018)
· 2018 College Baseball and Softball Released (Jun 20, 2018)
tabletop-sports.com Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CarparamaOffline
Post subject: Highly recommending this game!  PostPosted: Oct 23, 2009 - 12:52 AM

Wow.

I was very surprised by this game. I expected it to be mediocre at best, but I'm very determined to create some homemade teams (it's VERY easy to do this!) and run some "series".

Don't let the "intended for beginners" throw you off. This is a VERY enjoyable game. For only $10, it's worth a definite look.

Reply with quote Back to top
indianaiceOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 24, 2009 - 12:18 AM

I purchased The Baseball Card Game a few years back and played a couple games. It isn't bad at all. Rick T. wrote up some rating guidelines some time back that may give people an idea on how to rate players. Myself, I like to utilize concrete stats to rate players rather than "guestimation". I do recall a few of the games I played to be enjoyable. My one suggestion is to use two decks of cards instead of one, for less shuffling and more randomness (Dollar stores sell the cheapo cards, 2 decks for a buck". This game is very simplistic but has merit...better than one other cheapo baseball game (Throwback Baseball....you must be real lucky in the dice rolls just to get a double or home run.....). It's a Downey Games product so what do you expect????Winner!!!!!

Edward R. Meek

rickertOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 24, 2009 - 11:11 PM

I would always recommend this game. It is vastly underrated. I would be a part of a project to rate the 2009 season if anyone was interested.

CarparamaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 26, 2009 - 05:17 PM

I might be interested. Send me an e-mail at Carparama@gmail.com, rick, and let's get in touch.

Ryno616Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 28, 2009 - 09:30 AM

I purchased this game earlier this year and never got around to playing yet. I decided to rate the World Series teams for a quick project. I posted the ratings in the Downloads section BUT I realized last night that I rated Speed incorrectly. I will repost the correction today after the official rosters are announced although I might include additional players.
My first game was enjoyable as the Phils edged the Yanks 2-1 in Game #1. It was a pitchers duel as Sabathia went the distance and allowed 4 hits and Lee pitched 8 innings and scattered 6 hits. Philadelphia scored in the 5th after a Damon error and the Yankees answered in the bottom of the inning on a Jeter single. Sabathia survived the base loaded with one out in the top of the seventh before allowing a solo home run to Greg Dobbs in the top of the ninth. Brad Lidge closed out the 9th for the save. Although I prefer dice games this had a good flow to it although I am not a big fan of shuffling cards every inning or half-inning. It has the right amount of detail for a casual 15-30 minute game.

CarparamaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 28, 2009 - 02:56 PM

I do have one question. Why did you rate Robinson Cano a "Star" for batting? That seems *really* off for me.

rickertOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 28, 2009 - 11:09 PM

Carparama wrote:
I do have one question. Why did you rate Robinson Cano a "Star" for batting? That seems *really* off for me.

Are you a Yankee hater like me or do you just not like Cano?

He did hit .320 so his star rating seems fine for this particular season at least. That was sixth best in the AL.

CarparamaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 29, 2009 - 12:19 AM

No, not at all. I didn't realize he hit that well. His stats all show him to be a better player than A-Rod.

...And Cano his 25 HRs apparently. Holy crap.

I guess my only argument, would be to give Alex "Star" power. He hit five more home runs than Cano in 40 less games, so I figure "Star" power would fit.

If you do that, I have no problem with Cano's stats as is.

rickertOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 29, 2009 - 09:26 AM

Actually I probably wouldn't give A-Rod a star for his power. His percentage of homers is a bit higher than Cano, but for me star has always had a 40 level for homers to get a star. Since A-Rod has 30 homers and missed a quarter of the season, you take 25 percent of 30 and get just less than 8. That still gives him 38 homers which is still shy of Teixeira, who hit 39 and missed 6 games I think. Actually I would think long and hard about taking the star away from Teixeira.

With this game you have to decide what is most important to you and you can adjust the ratings. Do you want Teixeira to be a dominant home run hitter since he tied for the league lead with homers or do you want him to have the best chance to hit his real number of homers if you do a season replay? I think if you give him a good rating he will probably come closer to 30 than if you gave him a star, which could vault him to another homer plateau.

Rick T.

CarparamaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 29, 2009 - 09:37 AM

Fair enough. It's something we need to think about!

Ryno616Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 29, 2009 - 04:48 PM

For what it is worth I spent a lunch hour doing the ratings and didn't really 'look' at who I was rating if they makes sense. Based on the fact I was only going to play a best of seven series I think I could live with either Good or Star. I did the defense ratings pretty quickly as well so feel free to tweak any of the ratings, I would not consider myself to be anything other than a casual baseball fan these days.

CarparamaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 29, 2009 - 05:39 PM

No problem, Ryno. I was just glad to see someone adding something to TBCG! You should do more ratings sometime too. It's awesome to see this game being supported.

Ryno616Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 30, 2009 - 01:33 PM

It is an interesting little game, like you said in your first post it is fun to play for an 'entry level' game. I might rate the 1950 Yankees-Phillies world series teams for a little throwback fun as well. I can't see myself playing an entire season but it seems to work good for short series as the time to rate teams is not overwhelming.

CarparamaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 30, 2009 - 02:07 PM

Do it! That'd be awesome!

And yeah, I don't see this game being used as a "season-replay". Smile Then again, I couldn't see myself playing ANY baseball game for a season replay. 162 games, yikes.

rickertOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 30, 2009 - 07:42 PM

Actually I've played out an entire season for one team twice this summer with MVP Baseball. It is the only game I know of that I would gladly take for a 162-game spin. Sometime I might just try doing the entire NL using that game, especially when they add the Cy Young module to it sometime soon.

Jump to: