Contents
· Forums
· Our Reviews
· Search
· Web Links
· Privacy Policy

Hosted Sites
· Downey Games
There are 81 unregistered users and 0 registered users on-line.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Other Stories
· 2004 and 2007 Bull Riding Available (Sep 06, 2018)
· New Bull Riding Seasons Released (Aug 24, 2018)
· UQ Boxing 2018 Year Book Released (Aug 24, 2018)
· 2017 Drag Racing Available (Aug 01, 2018)
· 2018 World Cup Available (Jul 17, 2018)
· 2018 College Baseball and Softball Released (Jun 20, 2018)
· 2018 Ultra Quick Wrestling Released (Apr 24, 2018)
· RLB Classic 2018 NBA Released (Apr 19, 2018)
· POTG Basketball 2018 NBA Available (Apr 19, 2018)
· UQ Basketball 2018 NBA Available (Apr 19, 2018)
tabletop-sports.com Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
smathisOffline
Post subject: Questions about Downey Games Wrestling Games...  PostPosted: Aug 14, 2009 - 11:17 AM

I sent an email earlier this week via the Downey Games website but have not heard back. I assume Jeff is busy with stuff. It was sort of a long email but maybe someone here on the forums might have the information I was looking for.

Also, this information might be helpful for others interested in the Downey Games' Wrestling options.

I'm coming from Tom Filsinger's Legends of Wrestling. I dig LOW and have been playing it regularly for about 5 years now. It's a lot of fun but, of course, it has a couple of drawbacks.

Matches can get a little repetitive sometimes and, while I have implemented some fixes to address that, it's fairly common to have a match run 30 or even 40 minutes of actual playing time.

So I'm investigating "quickplay" options. Something with a match-time in the area of 10 -- no more than 15 -- minutes, with a decent amount of detail that meets some of my other criteria below. Ideally, I'd like something that I can use to run through lower card matches fairly quickly so I can focus my LOW play on the really important matches.

It also wouldn't hurt if the game I choose had some ideas/concepts I could carry over into my LOW game.

So here are a few questions. Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any information you can offer.

1. What's the difference between Vintage Pro Wrestling and Ultra Quick Wrestling? Am I mistaken to think I can use wrestlers from one in the other?

2. How does play generally flow in Vintage Pro, Ultra Quick and TV Pro?

3. Are there any examples of play online for any of these games? I couldn't find any.

4. I like the move-to-move of LOW, despite its repetitiveness at times. But I prefer shorter matches. Around 10 minutes a match would be perfect. And having the option to quickplay through lower card matches is a bonus. Which of the three wrestling games would you recommend and why?

5. Are specialty matches a problem in any of the wrestling games? Are there rules for things like Cage matches and Battle Royals?

6. What about tag-teams? I've read that TV Pro has an awesome system for tag-teams. What is better about TV Pro than the others?

7. I read that solitaire play is sort of added in to TV Pro. I don't know if that's a negative or not. I'm playing solitaire for the indefinite future. So I really need a system that's at home with a single player. Which would you recommend and why?

8. I also wouldn't mind having the option to create custom cards for fantasy wrestlers or some of the Ring of Honor guys I currently have through LOW. How hard is it to create your own wrestlers in Vintage Pro, Ultra Quick Wrestling and TV Pro?

9. I read online a bit about something called Pro Wrestling Mayhem but couldn't find it on the Downey Games website. Is that game no longer available?

10. Is Downey Games still going? I was kind of concerned when I didn't hear back from my email. I mean, if I order a eBook through PayPal from them, will I get it?

Reply with quote Back to top
Dave_BartonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 14, 2009 - 11:38 AM

I'll answer what I can, to the best of my knowledge...

Yes, Jeff does get very busy at times. And with as many questions as you have (all legitimate btw), I could see where he (or anyone) might push it aside with the honest intention of "I'll get to that later."

Pro Wrestling Mayhem was an idea of Jeff's that never saw a release.

Making your own bootlegs for games is generally welcomed these days. Study the cards enough & you'll get the right idea on how to make your own.

Downey Games is alive & well. Buying an Ebook through PayPal is instantaneous, iirc. You get the link to the download immediately, its automated.

That's all I can answer. Anyone else?

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Retro_Wrestling_Games/

smathisOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 14, 2009 - 05:14 PM

Thanks, Dave. I'll try to be patient in waiting for the other answers.

Batt27Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 14, 2009 - 09:09 PM

As owner of all three games, I can give some feedback on your questions.

Ultra quick matches can be resolved in as few as four dice roles. The game features pre-match, post-match and wild events that can occur during gameplay. It good for incorporating a storyline into your federations. You receive a decent amount of wrestlers with each set and creating your own wrestlers is fairly easy. A good choice if you want to run multiple federations with storylines.

Vintage pro works with a similar game engine to Ultra quick I haven't played it in a while but I think the main difference was more variations on the finishes of matches based on whether it was a tv card or ppv.

Tv Pro is a very well designed hold by hold game. You can complete most matches within 10 minutes. I believe the only speciality match is a cage match. Wrestling moves are determined from the style of the wrestler based on charts. Optional rules include matches influenced by referee's preferences to heels or faces. The game comes with the pre,post and wild event charts to add spice to your league. The current offering of nights of the week sets are based on wrestlers around 2006.

As Dave stated , creating your own wrestlers is easy after examining the cards.

As for Downey games, Jeff is one of the best in the business. He usually responds very quickly to your questions and provides great customer service. I believe he is currently in the process of printing and mailing a large quantity of baseball games that have just been released, so that would probably explain his lack of response.

Hopefully that will give you some insight into the three games. I have found all three games to be worthwhile purchases

Tom

smathisOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 14, 2009 - 10:22 PM

Thanks Batt27.

I'm pretty well resolved to try and pick up TV Pro just to check it out. Probably with the Minneapolis set to start.

Which leaves me with a choice to make regarding a quickplay option, in the event that TV Pro doesn't resolve a match quickly enough.

I prefer fewer storylines and more clean finishes to matches. Lots of run-ins, interference and such just frustrates me. I guess I prefer the Old School to the new school.

Which would be a better fit UQW or Vintage Pro? Or would the 1973 Eastern Territory UQW be more my speed?

Assuming that both run off a similarly fast-paced game engine, of course.

I really only have enough money to pick up one or the other, unfortunately. Assuming the game's a good fit for me, I'd be likely to give some of Jeff's other offerings a try too.

smathisOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 02, 2009 - 09:54 PM

As a follow-up, I wound up picking up UQW and the 1973 Eastern territories set. I also wound up picking up TV Pro with the Minneapolis set.

I tried UQW first. It delivered as promised. Pre-Match events were a little too frequent for my tastes. But it was pretty good overall. I plan to sort of hybridize it with my own resolution system that doesn't require the math.

Just for my personal use, btw.

I haven't had a chance to try TV Pro but I'm really excited about it. I'll repost once I get the dice rolling for that. I'm digging TV Pro thus far and it looks to be the perfect fit for me rules-wise.

I may hack it up so I can use my old Legends of Wrestling cards with it as is. Sort of an on-the-fly conversion. But other than that I think it's pretty solid.

Assuming it plays as well as it read, I'll be picking up the Georgia set soon.

Jump to: