· Search
· Web Links
· Privacy Policy

Hosted Sites
· Gary's Saddle Racing
· Legends of Boxing
· Decisive Action Sports
· Downey Games
There are 235 unregistered users and 0 registered users on-line.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Other Stories
· 2018 Ultra Quick Wrestling Released (Apr 24, 2018)
· RLB Classic 2018 NBA Released (Apr 19, 2018)
· POTG Basketball 2018 NBA Available (Apr 19, 2018)
· UQ Basketball 2018 NBA Available (Apr 19, 2018)
· UQ Hockey 2018 NHL Available (Apr 11, 2018)
· Final Score Hockey 2017-18 Universe Released (Apr 11, 2018)
· Downey Games 2018 Easter Sale Begins (Mar 26, 2018)
· RLB 2018 NCAA Tournament Year Book Available (Mar 14, 2018)
· Player of the Game 2018 NCAA Year Book Available (Mar 12, 2018)
· 2018 NCAA Available for UQ College Basketball (Mar 12, 2018)
tabletop-sports.com Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Big_CityOffline
Post subject: 1952 Marciano -vs- Walcott HW Title Bout  PostPosted: Nov 18, 2007 - 05:30 PM

I relived the 1952 Rocky Marciano vs. Jersey Joe Walcott heavyweight title fight using Data Boxing 6.0. The results are at another TTS thread...

http://www.tabletop-sports.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=4184#4184

"So I run straight to the goal with purpose in every step. I fight to win. I'm not just shadow-boxing or playing around." (I Cor. 9:26)

Reply with quote Back to top
Big_CityOffline
Post subject: Re: ROCKY MARCIANO TRIBUTE  PostPosted: Nov 23, 2007 - 02:57 PM

Big_City wrote:
ROCKY MARCIANO "THE BROCKTON BLOCKBUSTER"

This week I salute former heavyweight champion Rocky Marciano and pay tribute to this great fighter and great man. Unfortunately, on August 31st, 1969 Marciano died in a tragic plane crash in Iowa a few weeks after his filmed 1969 computer fight with Muhammad Ali. Marciano was the winner of Woroner's 1967 All Time HW Radio Tourney using an NCR 315 computer. Rocky then defeated Muhammad Ali in Woroner's 1969 computer Super Fight using the NCR 315 computer. I am providing a link to an article entitled Fights and Flights...The Crash of Rocky Marciano's Cessna. The above also discusses Woroner's 1967 computer heavyweight tournament and the 1969 Super Fight...

http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites/MarcianoCessna.htm

Rocky Marciano Lives on in Data Boxing 6.0 - This project is a tribute to Rocky Marciano. He was a great champion in and out of the ring. In the virtual world of Data Boxing 6.0, I will stage recreations of
some of Marciano's actual bouts as well as some "what if" bouts. Today I staged a bout to answer the hypothetical "What if Rocky were fighting in today's fight arena?" This was a Sunday afternoon classic between Marciano and the 6' 1" current WBA champ Ruslan Chagaev, who recently won the title by defeating the 7-foot giant Nikolay Valuev. I invoked the HW subclasses option (-2) for Marciano to account for the weight difference between Marciano (184) and Chagaev (236). The following is the text file extract of the bout narrative from the Data Boxing detail file. Please note that this is the briefer narration option. Also, the Data Boxing action screen has adjustable levels of detail, speed and text and is color-coded for the fighters, the knockdown counts are actually counted down on the DB action screen and the figures are aligned much better than what you see on this on-line forum. Note: The color analyst option was activated for this fight whose opinion does not always agree with the judges' cards. See the following link for a screen shot of the Data Boxing action screen with a matchup between Rocky Marciano and Muhammad Ali: http://www.tabletopsports.com/images/DataBoxingJune.jpg

Marciano vs. Chagaev Computer Fight - The DATA BOXING 6.0 Detail File reports....

08-26-2007 13:30:28
[The announcer:]
Ladies and gentlemen ...
For the title of WBA Heavyweight Champion ...
Fighting out of the 'red' corner,
weighing in at 184 pounds,
the former champion,
"The Brockton Blockbuster," Rocky Marciano
... and his opponent, fighting out of the 'blue' corner,
weighing in at 236 pounds,
the champion,
Ruslan 'White Tyson' Chagaev
in fifteen rounds of boxing.

[The broadcaster:]

~~~ FIRST ROUND ~~~
Rocky connects with a right and a left hand to the head and body!!
The ex-champ again lands a right hand to the head!
Chagaev moves in.
Chagaev lands a left hand to the head!
Marciano makes contact with a right to Chagaev's head!
Round, perhaps, to Marciano.
Our analyst scored that round for Marciano by 10-9.

~~~ SECOND ROUND ~~~
Marciano makes contact with a right glove to the head!
Chagaev scores with a left and a right and a left to the head and body!!!
Chagaev again connects with a left and a right hand to the head and body!!
Chagaev yet again lands a left hand to Marciano's head!
A good round for Chagaev.
Our analyst scored that round for Chagaev by 10-9.
He has it 19-19 overall.

~~~ THIRD ROUND ~~~
Marciano makes contact with a right to Chagaev's head!
Marciano lands a right to Chagaev's head!
Edge, perhaps, to Marciano.
For the fight, he has it 29-28 for Marciano.
Rocky Marciano -- Ruslan Chagaev
1 10-9 3 10-9
2 9-10

Rounds: 2 - 1 Points: 29 - 28

~~~ FOURTH ROUND ~~~
Rocky connects with a right hand and a left to the head and body!!
Again Marciano connects with a right and a left hand to the head and body!!
Marciano moves in.
A good round for Marciano.
For the fight, he has it 39-37 for Marciano.
1 10-9 3 10-9
2 9-10 4 10-9

Rounds: 3 - 1 Points: 39 - 37

~~~ FIFTH ROUND ~~~
The champion lands a left hand to the head!
Chagaev again lands a left to the head!
Chagaev yet again connects with a left and a right to the head and body!!
Chagaev lands a left hand to the head!
Chagaev connects with a left hand and a right to the head and body!!
Great round for Chagaev.
Our analyst scored that round for Chagaev by 10-9.
For the fight, he has it 48-47 for Marciano.
1 10-9 4 10-9
2 9-10 5 9-10
3 10-9

Rounds: 3 - 2 Points: 48 - 47

~~~ SIXTH ROUND ~~~
Marciano lands a right glove to the head!
Strong right by Chagaev ...
Marciano hits the canvas!
Marciano was knocked into the ropes and falls.
He's up at seven.
There's been a clash of heads ...
Foul by Chagaev ...
The referee issues a warning ...
Chagaev with a head butt.
Foul by Marciano ...
The referee issues a warning ...
Marciano with a rabbit punch.
Round, perhaps, to Chagaev.
Our analyst scored that round for Chagaev by 10-8.
For the fight, he has it 57-56 for Chagaev.
1 10-9 4 10-9
2 9-10 5 9-10
3 10-9 6 8-10

Rounds: 3 - 3 Points: 56 - 57

~~~ SEVENTH ROUND ~~~
Marciano lands a right hand to the nose!
Again Marciano lands a right glove to the head!
Hard right by Marciano ...
Down goes Chagaev!
Chagaev falls after bouncing off the ropes.
It's over!
Rocky Marciano knocks out Ruslan Chagaev
... at 1:55 of Round 7
Let's go to the ring announcer.
---
[The announcer:]

Ladies and gentlemen: your attention please.
The winner in round seven by a knock-out,
and ... ONCE AGAIN ...
... WBA Heavyweight Champion:
"The Brockton Blockbuster," Rocky Marciano!

COMMENT:
If Rocky Marciano were fighting in today's fight arena, I have no doubt in my mind that he would be the heavyweight champion of the world.

Woroner's 1967 Computer Heavyweight Tournament

Using the prepared card in Data Boxing 6.0, I staged Woroner's 1967 Computer Heavyweight Tournament that was broadcast on radio and won by Rocky Marciano. The results (which includes a series of Woroner's tournaments) are at another TTS thread...

http://www.tabletop-sports.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=5796#5796

P.S. Also see Boston.com (The Boston Globe) for an interesting article entitled 'Superfight' is still a KO which discusses the Marciano-Ali computer fight filmed in 1969. The Superfight is available as a DVD and includes Woroner's original radio broadcast fantasy fights as well.

P.P.S. Using Data Boxing 6.0, it's cool to be able to stage these fantasy fights on my computer between former champions that were once played out over the radio in the late 1960s. Others may want to try this one.

"So I run straight to the goal with purpose in every step. I fight to win. I'm not just shadow-boxing or playing around." (I Cor. 9:26)

Big_CityOffline
Post subject: Rocky Marciano on ESPN Classic  PostPosted: Dec 27, 2007 - 11:52 PM

A program entitled Rocky Marciano's Greatest Hits will be aired tonight at 11:30 CST on ESPN Classic.

Big_CityOffline
Post subject: Re: ROCKY MARCIANO TRIBUTE  PostPosted: Jan 05, 2008 - 12:04 PM

ESPN Classic will air an episode of Ringside reviewing the career of Rocky Marciano on January 7, 1:00 a.m. ET.

Big_CityOffline
Post subject: Marciano vs. Today's Boxers  PostPosted: Jan 05, 2008 - 10:05 PM

Big_City wrote:
<clipped>
Marciano lands a right hand to the nose!
Again Marciano lands a right glove to the head!
Hard right by Marciano ...
Down goes Chagaev!
Chagaev falls after bouncing off the ropes.
It's over!
Rocky Marciano knocks out Ruslan Chagaev
... at 1:55 of Round 7
Let's go to the ring announcer.
<clipped>

In reference to the above Marciano-Chagaev computer-simulated fight using Data Boxing, go to the following address to read a great article by Tracy Callis, where he discusses boxers of the past versus boxers of today. Callis is a Historian and member of the International Boxing Research Organization (IBRO)....

http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/Callis-Athletes-Bigger-Faster-Stronger.htm

Big_CityOffline
Post subject: Rocky Marciano vs. Jack Johnson  PostPosted: Mar 28, 2008 - 12:02 AM

Rocky Marciano met Jack Johnson in the virtual world of Data Boxing in tournaments that I staged last year. See: http://forums.delphiforums.com/drdatabox/messages?msg=14.7 (tournament #10) and http://forums.delphiforums.com/drdatabox/messages?msg=14.8 (semifinals).

Big_CityOffline
Post subject: Marciano vs. Tunney  PostPosted: Mar 31, 2008 - 10:58 PM

ROCKY MARCIANO VS. GENE TUNNEY

I staged a bout this evening using Data Boxing 6.0 between all time greats Rocky Marciano and Gene Tunney. The DBLINE file reports...

P = points; J = judge cards; R = judge rounds; N = knockdowns; C = cuts; I = injury; F = fouls

Rocky Marciano KO11 Gene Tunney P45.5/25 J98/92 98/93 96/92
R6/2 6/2 6/4 N1/0 C1/0 I1/0 F2/0

Comment: Of course, one bout between Marciano and Tunney is not definitive. Before making a judgment, a series of bouts using Data Boxing would be needed.

Note: The complete bout narrative is at the All Time Heavyweights site...

http://forums.delphiforums.com/drdatabox/messages?msg=42.28

Big_CityOffline
Post subject: Re: Marciano vs. Tunney  PostPosted: Apr 01, 2008 - 11:05 PM

Big_City wrote:

I staged a bout this evening using Data Boxing 6.0 between all time greats Rocky Marciano and Gene Tunney. The DBLINE file reports...

P = points; J = judge cards; R = judge rounds; N = knockdowns; C = cuts; I = injury; F = fouls

Comment: Of course, one bout between Marciano and Tunney is not definitive. Before making a judgment, a series of bouts using Data Boxing would be needed.

All time great Rocky Marciano will be honored on ESPN2 on Friday, April 4th. "The Brockton Blockbuster" will be posthumously inducted into the CES Ring of Honor during the Friday Night Fights on ESPN2.

Big_CityOffline
Post subject: Re: Marciano vs. Tunney  PostPosted: Apr 05, 2008 - 09:14 AM

Big_City wrote:
Big_City wrote:

All time great Rocky Marciano will be honored on ESPN2 on Friday, April 4th. "The Brockton Blockbuster" will be posthumously inducted into the CES Ring of Honor during the Friday Night Fights on ESPN2.

I enjoyed the tribute to Rocky Marciano which was shown on the ESPN2 Friday Night Fights. Marciano's youngest brother, Peter Marciano, was a part of the ceremony. Using Data Boxing 6.0, it's like Marciano is back in the ring again! I discussed my first-hand experience with this state-of-the-art simulation of boxing in an article at BoxRec.com - http://www.boxrec.com/media/index.php/Talk:Data_Boxing_6.0_-_A_Method_of_Staging_Computer-Simulated_Fights_With_The_All_Time_Greats

Big_CityOffline
Post subject: Marciano bout to air on ESPN Classic  PostPosted: Jan 05, 2011 - 09:26 PM

The 1953 Marciano vs. LaStarza bout will be on EPSN Classic tonight at 3 AM.

FrankCOffline
Post subject: The Roc  PostPosted: Jan 06, 2011 - 10:09 AM

Big_City wrote; The 1953 Marciano vs. LaStarza bout will be on EPSN Classic tonight at 3 AM.

I remember that fight. LaStarza had taken the Roc the limit in 1950 and many really felt that Roland won. The Roc got his revenge, if you must, in the 1953 bout. Marciano had touble with a few fighters that could throw him off his game. LaStarza was one and Tiger Ted Lowery was another. Lowery took Marciano the limit twice and though he lost by decision he owns 2 of the 5 fights that Marciano was forced to the scorecards.

Big_CityOffline
Post subject: Re: The Roc  PostPosted: Jan 06, 2011 - 10:09 PM

FrankC wrote:
Big_City wrote; The 1953 Marciano vs. LaStarza bout will be on EPSN Classic tonight at 3 AM.

I remember that fight. LaStarza had taken the Roc the limit in 1950 and many really felt that Roland won. The Roc got his revenge, if you must, in the 1953 bout. Marciano had touble with a few fighters that could throw him off his game. LaStarza was one and Tiger Ted Lowery was another. Lowery took Marciano the limit twice and though he lost by decision he owns 2 of the 5 fights that Marciano was forced to the scorecards.

I enjoyed watching the bout. Just as you stated, the narrator discussed that LaStarza lost a close fight to Marciano in 1950 (and therefore was confident that he could win the rematch). In fact, LaStarza fought a good fight up until the 7th round in the 1953 bout shown on ESPN - that's when when the bout changed. Marciano found his range and dominated the rest of the fight. Marciano was exceptional in his ability to hit hard. It was mentioned in the show that LaStarza said one of Rocky's punches that he blocked with his arm numbed his entire arm.

Big_CityOffline
Post subject: DATA BOXING: Marciano vs. Tyson, Frazier and Foreman  PostPosted: Jan 29, 2011 - 12:54 PM

DATA BOXING: Marciano vs. Tyson, Frazier and Foreman

Marciano had a 1-2 record in computerized bouts versus Tyson, Frazier and Foreman. All of the bouts ended in KO/TKO. Marciano KO'd Tyson in 11, Frazier picked himself up off the canvas twice and stopped Marciano on cuts and injuries in the 13th and Foreman TKO'd Marciano in a wild fight that saw both men hit the canvas.

The DBLine file reports...

P = points; J = judge cards; R = judge rounds; N = knockdowns;
C = cuts; I = injury; F = fouls

Rocky Marciano KO11 Mike Tyson P29/19.5 J95/93 96/94 97/91
R6/4 6/4 7/3 N0/0 C0/0 I0/0 F1/1

Joe Frazier TKO(c&i)13 Rocky Marciano P72.5/44.5 J116/108 116/109 116/108
R8/4 8/4 8/4 N0/2[3,11] C5/0 I3/1 F0/2

George Foreman TKO(rsf)8 Rocky Marciano P48.5/20 J67/63 67/65 67/63
R4/3 4/3 4/3 N2[6,8]/1[5] C0/0 I2/0 F0/0

Note: Each boxer was represented with their peak ratings. Since Tyson and Foreman outweighed Marciano by 20+ pounds, the HW subclasses option was invoked to account for the size difference.

P.S. Of course, one bout between these all time greats is not considered final. Marciano can beat Tyson, but not all the time. Likewise, Frazier and Foreman may win, but lose to Marciano in other bouts. Before making a judgment, a series of bouts would be needed.

Big_CityOffline
Post subject: Re: 1955 Computer Heavyweight Tournament  PostPosted: Jun 09, 2011 - 08:38 PM

Big_City wrote:
1955 COMPUTER HEAVYWEIGHT TOURNAMENT

The fascinating Data Boxing game can be likened to a time travel machine. One of my favorite movie series (besides the Rocky series) is the Back to the Future trilogy. In the Back to the Future movie, Dr. Brown invented time travel. In the gaming world, university professor Dr. Julian Compton created Data Boxing, a scientific boxing simulation where one can travel in time for intriguing match-ups between boxers from the past and/or present. In the Back to the Future Movie, Marty tracks down the Dr. Brown of thirty years ago and explains that he is from the future. In Data Boxing, nearly thirty years after the Data Boxing table game was created, Cape Canaveral programmer Don Mankowski tracked down Dr. Compton to bring Data Boxing back in the computer version. The first Back to the Future movie traveled Back in Time (as Huey Lewis sang) to 1955, so I traveled Back in Time to 1955 for a heavyweight tournament in the virtual world of Data Boxing 6.0. The computer version of Data Boxing has an impressive array of cool features - two of which I utilized in the 1955 tournament as follows: 1) I used the Card feature in Data Boxing to select 8 boxers for the tournament; and 2) I used the foregoing Card to run a single elimination tournament in fast mode. All boxers were represented with their peak ratings except Ezzard Charles, who was represented with his past prime ratings. In the final, "Mr. Sandman" paid a visit to Floyd Patterson as Rocky Marciano kayoed Patterson in the 5th round. Here is the Data Boxing summary file report of the tournament...

Rocky Marciano W u 15 Ezzard Charles !PP
Floyd Patterson W KO 11 Don Cockell
Tommy Jackson W KO 3 Archie Moore
Bob Satterfield W u 15 Nino Valdes
Semifinals
Rocky Marciano W TKO 2 Bob Satterfield
Floyd Patterson W TKO 3 Tommy Jackson
Final
Rocky Marciano W KO 5 Floyd Patterson

The 1955 heavyweight title bout between Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore will be on ESPN Classic on June 10 at 3 AM ET.

FrankCOffline
Post subject: Rocky  PostPosted: Jun 10, 2011 - 06:47 AM

Marciano has to be given all the credit in the world. He was undefeated and remains the only champion to accomplish it. Looking at a few of his opponents we could say that he was meeting some so-so fighters but doesn't every champion. Roland LaStarza in the 1st fight between the two came closest to beating Marciano. It was probably a Champion's decision. Of the 5 fights that Marciano went the limit, 2 were against Tiger Ted Lowery. Ted was a journeyman with about 65 wins but losing about the same amount in his career.

Jump to: