Contents
· Forums
· Our Reviews
· Search
· Web Links
· Privacy Policy

Hosted Sites
· Downey Games
There are 172 unregistered users and 0 registered users on-line.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Other Stories
· 2018 Game Winning Drive College Football Available (Dec 10, 2018)
· 2018 Ultra Quick College Football Available (Dec 09, 2018)
· 2018 College Available for Downey's FS Football (Dec 09, 2018)
· Downey Games 2018 Cyber Monday Sale (Nov 26, 2018)
· Thanksgiving Sale 2018 at Downey Games (Nov 16, 2018)
· UQ Baseball 2018 MLB Season Released (Nov 12, 2018)
· Three New Ryder Cup Seasons Available (Oct 12, 2018)
· 2018 MLB Released for HardBall Wars (Oct 03, 2018)
· 2018 IndyCar Racing Year Book Available (Sep 26, 2018)
· 2018 PGA Tour Released (Sep 25, 2018)
tabletop-sports.com Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
rickertOffline
Post subject: UQ boxing question  PostPosted: Dec 07, 2008 - 01:49 AM

One of the only things that has ever bothered me about this game is the lack of draws. They do occur with decent frequency in real life. Although they often leave a very unsatisfying result I wanted to ask if there had ever been any thought to adding this to the game?

Thanks. I'll be buying the 2008 ratings soon.

Rick T.

Reply with quote Back to top
jdowneyadminOffline
Post subject: Re: UQ boxing question  PostPosted: Dec 09, 2008 - 03:09 PM
Site Admin

rickert wrote:
One of the only things that has ever bothered me about this game is the lack of draws. They do occur with decent frequency in real life. Although they often leave a very unsatisfying result I wanted to ask if there had ever been any thought to adding this to the game?

Thanks. I'll be buying the 2008 ratings soon.

Rick T.

The problem with draws and this game engine is that there is zero correlation between a fighter's "rating" and a draw. Let me further explain that, as I'm sure it's as clear as mud.

When you take the ratings of UQ Boxing and compare two fighters there is a direct correlation thorough years of data as to which boxer wins. For draws, there isn't such a comparison, they are all over the place.

Conventional wisdom would say that the closer the fighters are rated, the more draws there would be. But, that's certainly not the case. In fact, when you looks at the tiered structure of the the game engine, the closest rating category has the third least likely percentage of a draw.

Now, I can give you a "house rule" that won't give you the exact percentage of draws, but it will be fairly close.

Anytime you get a "split decision" for the favorite, roll the dice again. If it is 1-44 consider it a draw, rather than a split decision. Again, not perfect, but it will bring draws into the game.

rickertOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 13, 2008 - 08:51 PM

I think this will be a fine rule for doing season or career stuff. I'll probably ignore it when I'm doing tournaments as it slows up the process. I could either allow neither boxer to advance and create a bye in the case of a tournament draw or I could force a rematch.

Thanks for offering the house rule option.

Rick T.

Jump to: