Contents
· Forums
· Our Reviews
· Search
· Web Links
· Privacy Policy

Hosted Sites
· Downey Games
There are 164 unregistered users and 1 registered user on-line.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Other Stories
· 2018 Game Winning Drive College Football Available (Dec 10, 2018)
· 2018 Ultra Quick College Football Available (Dec 09, 2018)
· 2018 College Available for Downey's FS Football (Dec 09, 2018)
· Downey Games 2018 Cyber Monday Sale (Nov 26, 2018)
· Thanksgiving Sale 2018 at Downey Games (Nov 16, 2018)
· UQ Baseball 2018 MLB Season Released (Nov 12, 2018)
· Three New Ryder Cup Seasons Available (Oct 12, 2018)
· 2018 MLB Released for HardBall Wars (Oct 03, 2018)
· 2018 IndyCar Racing Year Book Available (Sep 26, 2018)
· 2018 PGA Tour Released (Sep 25, 2018)
tabletop-sports.com Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BillSOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 07, 2018 - 09:45 AM

1979 Temple 38
1976 Rutgers 14

Temple quarterback Brian Broomell threw for 228 yards and 3 TDs (all to WR Gerald Lucear) as the Owls dominated the Scarlet Knights, 38-14. Rutgers had no answer for Temple's balanced attack (236 rushing, as well). If the Rutgers secondary did not pick 5 interceptions, the score would have been even more lopsided.

1979 Temple moves to 1-1-0 on my tabletop, while Rutgers falls to 0-2-0. Next game for Temple will likely be against 1977 Pittsburgh (1-0-0).

Reply with quote Back to top
BillSOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 09, 2018 - 06:15 PM

Game action this weekend:

1983 Boston College 47
1952 Holy Cross 3

These two schools re-ignited their decades-old rivalry for real this weekend (62-14 BC victory), so I thought I'd play this matchup on my tabletop. The results were basically the same, with a 40+ scoring advantage for BC.

Doug Flutie threw for 353 yards on 20 of 33 attempts and 3 TDs to Brian Brennan to lead the Eagles over the Crusaders. BC grabbed 5 interceptions off Holy Cross's "Chuckin'" Charlie Maloy, leading to 27 Eagle points.

1983 Boston College is now 1-0-0 while 1952 Holy Cross falls to 0-5-0. HC only continues to show up on my tabletop because of my personal affinity for the school.

1962 Wisconsin 0
1962 USC 21

This was a replay of the Rose Bowl game played on January 1, 1963. The real game was a wild shootout, with the #1 Trojans beating the #2 Badgers 42-37.

The replay was all USC. The only score of the first half was a Pete Beathard interception return. Beathard, playing both ways, later threw a TD pass to Hal Bledsoe. Wisconsin never really got going and failed to take advantage of the offensive capabilities of its star quarterback, Ron Vander Kelen.

1962 USC is now 3-1-0, while 1962 Wisconsin falls to 1-2-0.

1973 Miami (OH) 38
1972 Louisville 24

Louisville got off to a fast 10-0 lead in the first quarter before Miami's QB Steve Sanna connected on 3 TD passes in the second quarter to give the Redskins (as they were known at the time) a 21-10 halftime lead. Miami would extend that lead to 31-10 in the third quarter before the Cardinals ran a Sanna fumble back for a touchdown. The teams swapped touchdowns for the rest of the 4th quarter.

1973 Miami (OH) improves to 1-1-0 and Louisville falls to 0-2-0 on my tabletop.

BillSOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 10, 2018 - 02:07 PM

1977 Notre Dame 10
1977 Texas 21

This was a replay of the Cotton Bowl played January 2, 1978. In the actual game, #5 Notre Dame stunned #1 and previously unbeaten Texas 38-10. Due to other strange bowl game results, Notre Dame was later named National Champions.

This replay would play out a little differently. The Irish would take the lead in the 1st quarter, as Joe Montana moved the Irish downfield efficiently. The Longhorn defense stiffened up in the red zone, however, and Notre Dame settled for a field goal. The score stood 3-0 into the second quarter, when Texas scored 14 unanswered points. The first points came off a 41 yard touchdown pass from Texas QB Randy McEachern to Randy Jackson. Later in the quarter, Ham Jones would take the ball in from the 5 yard line to give the Longhorns a 14-3 lead going into the locker room. There was no scoring in the 3rd quarter, but Notre Dame finally got on the board in the 4th quarter when Montana hit Ty Dickerson with a 4-yard pass to make it 14-10. The Longhorns, however, put together a long drive late in the quarter, culminating in another TD pass to Jackson to put the game out of reach.

This was the first game on my tabletop for both teams.

BillSOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 11, 2018 - 08:55 AM

1978 Clemson 17
1978 Alabama 13

I was in the mood for a good, old-fashioned ground battle, so I put these two "Rush Heavy" teams on my tabletop for their inaugural games. It did not disappoint.

Alabama got on the board first after QB Steadman Shealy took a quarterback keeper 23 yards to paydirt. Clemson would tie the game in the second quarter and then go on top after a 48-yard field goal off the foot of Obid Ariri. The score stood 10-7 at halftime.

In the second half, the Crimson Tide retook the lead with a steady drive downfield culminating in a 16-yard TD run by Tony Nathan. Alan McElroy missed the extra point, but Alabama had a 13-10 lead going into the final quarter. The teams exchanged possessions for much of the 4th quarter until Clemson finally engineered a long drive with Marvin Sims taking it in from the 2 to give the Tigers a 17-13 lead with just 1:00 remaining.

On the ensuing kickoff, Nathan caught the ball on the 10 and returned it 51 yards to give Alabama some life. However, on their 1st play from scrimmage after the return, QB Jeff Rutledge threw an interception to Clemson linebacker Matt Smith to seal the victory for the Tigers.

BillSOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 12, 2018 - 09:03 AM

1979 Purdue 3
1978 Michigan St. 48

It's going to be a long ride back to West Lafayette after this one! Michigan State took advantage of 5 Purdue turnovers in the 3rd quarter to score 28 unanswered points, turning a close game (10-3 at half) into a rout by the 4th quarter. Boilermaker quarter Mark Herrmann had an awful day, fumbling twice and throwing 3 interceptions. Herrmann's counterpart, Ed Smith, had a very good day for the Spartans, completing 17 of 26 passes for 168 yards and 3 TDs. Spartan wide receiver Kirk Gibson had 3 catches for 49 yards and a touchdown.

This was the first game for each team on my tabletop. 1978 Michigan State will likely matchup against either 1970 Ohio State or 1971 Michigan for their next game. 1979 Purdue might have to wait a while to get back on my tabletop after this performance.

BillSOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 13, 2018 - 10:45 AM

1978 USC 27
1975 Arizona St. 17

A very entertaining game this morning between these two teams making their inaugural appearance on my tabletop. The Sun Devils looked impressive early on, putting together a 9-play opening drive, but settling for a field goal and a 3-0 lead. After missing on another field goal attempt, Arizona State finally broke into the endzone when Stanley Robinson went in from the 6 to give the Sun Devils a 10-0 lead.

USC battled back and began to get their offense rolling. However, the Trojans had to settle for a pair of Frank Jordan field goals and the teams went into the locker room with the score 10-6.

The third quarter belonged to USC. Trojan QB Paul McDonald found his rhythm and connected on touchdown passes to Calvin Sweeney and Dan Garcia to take a 20-10 lead into the final quarter. Arizona State made it interesting, however, as QB Dennis Sproul came in to ignite the offense that had been quiet since early in the game. Sproul completed his first 3 passes after entering the game, the third being a 39 yard completion to John Jefferson to bring the Sun Devils to within 3 at 20-17.

After forcing a USC punt, Arizona State started another drive in an attempt to regain the lead. This drive, however, was halted when Trojan DB Ronnie Lott intercepted a Sproul pass, giving his offense a short field. With that opportunity, McDonald hit Charles White out of the backfield for an 11-yard touchdown pass to clinch the 27-17 victory for USC.

BillSOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 14, 2018 - 09:37 AM

Last night and this morning on my tabletop:

1941 Notre Dame 16
1940 Stanford 2

1941 Notre Dame came in to last night's game against Stanford with a 4-1 record, ranked 4th in my 1940s-1950s Top 10. Three of those victories were shutouts. Notre Dame's only blemish came at the hands of #2 1945 Army. Stanford had a less-than-impressive 0-1-1 record, but many observers felt that the Stanford offense had underachieved and could produce against the tough Irish defense.

They were wrong. Stanford did get on the board first, as the defense scored a safety by tackling Irish back Bill Earley in the endzone in the 1st quarter. That would be it for scoring for the Indians on the day. All-purpose back Steve Juzwick scored a touchdown, kicked a field goal, and converted 1 of 2 extra points to lead the attack for Notre Dame. The score was 16-2 at half and the teams played a scoreless second half.

With the victory, 1941 Notre Dame moved up to #3 in my 1940s-50s Top 10, jumping over 1947 Penn State. Stanford (0-2-1) will not likely be back on the tabletop soon.

1982 Penn State 21
1982 Georgia 15

This would be a battle of running backs, with Penn State's Curt Warner dueling against the Bulldogs' Herschel Walker. For some reason unknown to the home crowd, Walker did not carry the ball for the entire 1st quarter. Meanwhile, Warner was running and catching the ball for the Nittany Lions, as Penn State took a 14-0 lead.

Walker would come alive in the second quarter, however, as Georgia got on the board after a 49-yard field goal off the foot of Kevin Butler. Penn State increased their lead to 21-3, however, as Todd Blackledge connected with Kenny Jackson on a screen pass that Jackson took 1 yard for a score. Walker boosted Georgia's hopes, however, as his 28-yard touchdown run closed the gap. Butler would miss the extra point, so the score stood at 21-9 at halftime.

Both teams' defenses took control in the second half. Georgia would do all of the scoring in the second half, but the scoring would be restricted to 2 Butler field goals (50 and 44 yards). Penn State held on to win the game, 21-15.

Walker finished with 135 yards on 19 carries, while Warner finished with 95 yards on 15 carries. Warner also caught 4 passes for 32 yards and a touchdown.

1979 Alabama 21
1979 Oklahoma 31

I thought I would matchup two schools that almost never face each other in real life, despite their storied histories. Oklahoma got off to a fast start, as they took a 14-0 lead into the second quarter after touchdown runs by Billy Sims and Royce Coleman. Alabama would answer in the second quarter when Don Jacobs ran it in from the 10, making the score 14-7. After Sooner kicker Mike Keeling kicked a 29-yard field goal, the teams went into the locker room with the Sooners leading 17-7. Another Oklahoma touchdown run by Freddie Nixon gave the Sooners a 24-7 lead entering the final quarter.

Alabama looked down and out, but Sooner back David Overstreet fumbled the ball on his own 9 yard line. Alabama capitalized on this miscue a few plays later, as Mark Nix scored from the 4 to make it 24-14. The Crimson Tide scored again, as QB Steadman Shealy took a keeper in from the 7 to bring the Tide to within 3 at 24-21 with 6 minutes remaining. On the ensuing kickoff, Oklahoma returner Stanley Wilson fumbled the ball and Alabama recovered and looked to be in position to take the lead in the game. However, Shealy fumbled the ball back to Oklahoma on the Tide's second play of their drive. Sooner QB J.C. Watts drove Oklahoma downfield and then scored on a 3-yard run to seal the victory.

BillSOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 27, 2018 - 03:12 PM

Inspired by Rivalry Weekend in college football, I decided to play this game:

1977 Notre Dame 26
1979 USC 21

These two former #1s clashed on my tabletop this morning. For USC it was their first appearance on my table. Notre Dame came in with a 0-1 record after having lost to 1977 Texas.

Irish QB Joe Montana got the Irish on the board early in the 1st quarter, executing an efficient drive culminating in a 1-yard touchdown run by Jerome Heavens. Notre Dame would double their lead after Montana found Ty Dickerson in the endzone for a 12-yard strike to put the Irish on top 14-0.

It didn't take the Trojans long to strike back, however, as QB Paul McDonald hit Kevin Williams with a perfect pass in stride resulting in a 50-yard touchdown play. Notre Dame came back toward the end of the 2nd quarter with another scoring drive, this time with backup QB Rusty Lisch taking it in from the 5 (Montana had been shaken up earlier in the drive). The extra point was missed, but the Irish went into the lockerroom having dominated the Trojans and their high-powered offense. USC backs Charles White and Marcus Allen could muster only 30 yards combined for the half.

The second half was a different story. White and Allen began to run more effectively and USC cut the lead to 20-14 after Michael Hayes took a handoff and went 10 yards for a touchdown. And, with 9:00 remaining, Hayes scored again, this time from 3 yards out, to give the Trojans their first lead of the game.

Notre Dame got the ball back and drove deep into USC territory. However, RB Terry Eurick fumbled the ball on the USC 14 yard line with 3:15 remaining. USC hoped to put together a drive to seal its victory, however White was held to runs of -1, 1, and 0 yards on consecutive carries. So, with 2:15 remaining in the game, USC punted the ball back to the Irish. With only 1 time out remaining, Montana began to sling the ball downfield. After expending their final timeout, Notre Dame found themselves on the USC 46-yard line with about 1:00 remaining. The next play was an incomplete pass, but USC was whistled for an encroachment penalty, stopping the clock. On the next play, Montana found his All-American tight end Ken MacAfee for a 10-yard strike. With time for just one more play, Notre Dame had the ball on the USC 31 yard line. Montana dropped back and lifted a long pass into the endzone. Jumping up, MacAfee came down with it for an Irish touchdown and win on the final play of the game!!

BillSOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 30, 2018 - 04:04 PM

1977 Texas 38
1978 Oklahoma 17

The Longhorns rolled over the Sooners in convincing fashion behind a three-touchdown performance from RB Earl Campbell. Campbell had 121 yards rushing on the day. Unfortunately for college football fans, the anticipated battle between Campbell and Sooner RB Billy Sims did not hold much drama, as the Texas defense held Sims to just 75 yards on 15 carries. The bulk of Sims' yards came on a 31-yard burst in the first quarter, but after that the Longhorn defense snuffed Sims and the rest of the Oklahoma attack.

1977 Texas moves to 2-0 on my tabletop (prior victory over 1977 Notre Dame), while 1978 Oklahoma falls to 0-1. It is expected that 1977 Texas will take on 1977 Arkansas (4-1) in the near future.

1969 Ohio State 12
1969 Michigan 13

This was the battle that initiated the Ten Year War. On the tabletop, both teams performed very sloppily, with 8 turnovers between them. The Buckeyes accounted for 6 of those turnovers, including two Rex Kern interceptions in the Red Zone. Of the 4 touchdowns scored, only one was followed by a successful conversion. Both teams' kickers missed field goal attempts of under 30 yards.

Michigan scored the game-winning touchdown in the 4th quarter after Buckeye punt returner Larry Zelina fumbled a punt deep in Ohio State territory giving the Wolverines a short field to eventually score.

1969 Ohio State falls to 0-2. 1969 Michigan is now 1-1, but neither team is likely to get back on the tabletop soon after this performance.

BillSOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 03, 2018 - 10:38 AM

1980 South Carolina 24
1982 Clemson 3

Football bragging rights in the Palmetto State were at stake in this one, with the South Carolina Gamecocks and their star running back George Rogers taking the westbound bus to Clemson to take on the Tigers.

Clemson came into the game with a highly-touted run defense, but that did not stop South Carolina from focusing their offense on Rogers and the run game. Rogers finished the day with 2 touchdowns and 152 yards on 31 carries. The Tigers could not sustain any offense at all, managing just a 20 yard field goal in the 3rsd quarter. Clemson star back Cliff Austin finished with just 70 yards on 11 carries. Tiger QB Homer Jordan was 11 for 13 passing fore 123 yards, but also threw and interception and fumbled in the backfield, killing what had been promising drives for Clemson.

BillSOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 04, 2018 - 09:45 AM

1965 Michigan State 14
1964 Michigan 24

The Michigan State Spartans (0-1) traveled to Ann Arbor to take on the Michigan Wolverines (0-1). Both teams are coming off close losses. Fans anticipated a tough defensive struggle.

The Wolverines jumped on the board early with a 37 yard field goal off the foot of QB Bob Timberlake. After the Spartans' Clinton Jones lost a fumble, Michigan would add to their lead when Timberlake found Ben Farabee in the endzone for a 2-yard touchdown strike. The 2nd quarter was scoreless and the teams went into the lockerroom with Michigan leading, 10-0.

As the 3rd quarter progressed, fans could feel momentum shifting in favor of Michigan State. After Jones took a pitch 9 yards into the endzone, Michigan State had closed the deficit to just 3 at 10-7. However, Michigan answered quickly, scoring another touchdown after the Spartans' Bob Apisa lost another fumble.

Trailing 17-7 into the 4th quarter, the Spartans decided to start throwing the ball. QB Steve Juday and WR Gene Washington connected several times on the next drive, culminating in a 24-yard touchdown to Washington to bring the score to 17-14.

With 3:00 minutes remaining, Michigan State decided to attempt an onside kick. Unfortunately for the Spartans, Michigan jumped on the bouncing ball at their own 45 and retained possession. Timberlake then orchestrated a sustained drive into Spartan territory. On a QB option, Timberlake kept the ball, broke into the secondary, and scored from 16 yards out to give the Wolverines a 24-14 victory.

True to his All-American form, Timberlake finished the game with 112 yards rushing, threw a touchdown pass, and kicked a field goal and 3 extra points.

BillSOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 05, 2018 - 09:46 AM

1967 Tennessee 3
1965 Alabama 30

The 1967 Tennessee Volunteers (0-1) set off to Tuscaloosa to meet the 1965 Alabama Crimson Tide (0-0). The Tide won the coin toss and elected to receive. On the first play from scrimage, Alabama QB Steve Sloan fumbled and the Volunteers recovered on the 'Bama 21 yard line. The Alabama defense, however, in a foreshadow of how the rest of the game would play out, stiffened and Tennessee settled for a field goal and 3-0 lead. That would be all the scoring the Volunteers would achieve for the remainder of the game.

The Crimson Tide went on to score 30 unanswered points, taking advantage of 4 interceptions thrown by Tennessee QB Dewey Warren. For Warren, this was a nightmare game, as he also fumbled in the backfield leading to more Alabama points.

The Alabama defense held Tennessee to just 52 rushing yards and allowed only 204 total yards to the Volunteers. The play of the game came in the 2nd quarter when Sloan hit Tommy Tolleson with a sideline pass for a 71 yard touchdown. Tide kicker David Ray kicked 3 field goals, including one from 55 yards.

For the game, Sloan was 10 for 20 passing for 220 yards and 1 touchdown. He threw no interceptions. He also led Alabama with 34 yards rushing, as the Volunteer defense played well. They could not, however, overcome the 5 turnovers the offense handed to Alabama.

1967 Tennessee falls to 0-2. 1965 Alabama is now 1-0 and will likely find its way back my tabletop in the near future.

BillSOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 06, 2018 - 09:45 AM

1950 California 22
1959 Washington 14

My football universe found its way to the West Coast for a game between long-time rivals 1950 California Golden Bears and 1959 Washington Huskies. It proved to be a remarkable game.

Scoring was at a premium for both teams, but it was the Cal defense that shone brighter. The Golden Bears stymied the Huskies at every turn, holding Washington's offense to a mere 20 yards total offense in the 1st half! After touchdown runs from John Olszewski and Jim Monachino, Cal got another score in a very strange fashion. Golden Bear QB Jim Marinos threw his 3rd interception of the first half to Huskie DB Jim Fleming. Fleming caught the ball on his own 8 yard line, but then, in an effort to avoid the Cal tacklers and make a big play, drifted back into his own endzone where he was tackled for a safety! Cal took a 15-0 lead into the lockerroom.

Pete Schabarum blasted in from the 1-yard line to give Cal a 22-0 lead after 3 quarters. Despite having intercepted 4 Marinos passes, Washington could not manage to score. In the 4th quarter, however, Huskie QB Bob Schloredt connected on a 22-yard strike to his favorite received, Lee Folkins, to get Washington on the board. That touchdown was set up by a Schloredt interception of Cal backup QB Brent Ogden.

Washington's defense got the ball back for Schloredt and the offense and the Huskies managed to score again on a 16-yard strike to Don Millich with 2:30 remaining in the game. Out of time outs, Washington attempted an onside kick, but Cal fell on the ball and ran the clock out.

Cal finished the game with 422 yards total offense and held Washington to just 149 yards total offense (with 42 of those yards coming on one long run from Huskie back Joe Jones).

1950 California improves to 1-1 (their loss coming against #1 ranked 1955 TCU), while 1959 Washington falls to 0-2.

Next up tomorrow will be a real treat - #2 1945 Army (6-1) takes on 1954 Navy (1-2)!

BillSOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 07, 2018 - 09:59 AM

1945 Army 44
1954 Navy 20

#2 1945 Army showed why they are near the top of the class of my 1940-50s college football rankings after handily defeating 1954 Navy 44-20 in Philadelphia this morning. The Cadets served notice early, as QB Dick Walterhouse hit "Mr. Outside" Glenn Davis with a 72-yard touchdown strike on the first play of the game to give Army a 6-0 lead. In the first half, Army passed the ball more often than Navy anticipated, as Walterhouse finished the game 7 for 7 passing, gaining 171 yards and 2 touchdowns. The vaunted Army ground attack, led by Davis (43 yards) and "Mr. Inside" Doc Blanchard (72 yards) played well, but the Navy defense held the duo to fewer yards than they have had in any of their previous 7 games.

Meanwhile, Navy could not get anything going offensively. The first half ended with Army comfortably leading 29-0.

Navy received the kickoff to start the second half and QB George Welsh engineered an impressive 13 play drive for the Midshipmen's first score. Army answered quickly, however, on the next 2 drives to push their lead to 44-8. After going only 7 for 20 passing, Navy QB Welsh was removed in favor of backup Dick Echard. The Midshipmen opened up their offensive attack and began throwing the ball. Navy scored twice in the last half of the 4th quarter to make the score a little more respectable.

#2 1945 Army improves to 7-1 while 1954 Navy falls to 1-3 on my tabletop.

BillSOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 10, 2018 - 09:40 AM

1940 Minnesota 17
1941 Northwestern 10

Some real old-school football on the tabletop this morning, as the 1940 Minnesota Golden Gophers (coming in at 1-1-1) came to Dyche Stadium to take on Otto Graham and the 1941 Northwestern Wildcats (1-2).

The Golden Gophers feature predominantly a strong running game, which was evident as George Franck hit paydirt from 8 yards out to give Minnesota an early 6-0 lead. They would extend that lead in the 2nd quarter after Bruce Smith, the other half of Minnesota's star backfield tandem, burst in from the one. Smith would hit Bill Baumgartner with a pass for the 2-point conversion giving the Golden Gophers a 14-0 lead going into the lockerroom.

Northwestern's offense had been stymied all day, but in the 3rd quarter Graham and the Wildcats finally got a little momentum. Aided by several long 3rd down conversions by star back Billy DeCorrevont, the Wildcats marched downfield. Graham hit end Bud Hasse on a 26-yard pass play bringing the 'Cats deep into Minnesota territory. The Golden Gopher defense stiffened in the Red Zone and Northwestern found themselves faced with a 4th and goal at the 4 yard line. With points coming at a premium, Northwestern decided to go for the touchdown. On the fourth down play, Graham faked to DeCorrevont, keeping the football and plowing into the endzone behind Hasse to put the Wildcats on the board.

The score stood 14-7 as the 4th quarter began. After a couple of quick "3 and outs" from both teams to start the quarter, Minnesota took over on their own 40 yard line. Smith, who does not pass very frequently, looked to catch the Wildcats off guard with a quick pass play on 1st down. Unfortunately, his pass wound up in the hands of Northwestern safety Floyd Chambers, who returned the interception 21 yards back into Minnesota territory.

Graham began to engineer another Wildcat drive, but, as before, Minnesota's defense forced Northwestern into a 4th and 5 decision from the 14 yard line. With 7:30 remaining in the game, Northwestern decided this time to kick the field goal and try to get the ball back quickly. The first part of that plan was successful, but Franck and Smith would ensure that the second part of the plan failed.

After Franck took the kickoff 34 yards to mid-field, Minnesota took very little time marching through Northwestern territory. The Golden Gophers stalled, however, on the Wildcat 18 yard line. Despite having minimal confidence in their kicking game, Minnesota attempted a 35 yard field goal. Kicker Joe Mernik rewarded what little confidence his coach had in him with a successful kick, putting the Gophers back up by 7, 17-10.

Having used all of their timeouts trying to slow Minnesota down on their last drive, Northwestern and Graham came out throwing. Graham hit on passes to end Bob Motl, Sanford Skor, Ike Kepford, and Hasse again to bring the Wildcats to the Minnesota 40 yard line. With only a few seconds remaining, Graham attempted a "Hail Mary", but the pass fell incomplete and Minnesota took home a 17-10 victory.

1940 Minnesota has now won its last two games and improves to 2-1-1 on my tabletop. 1941 Northwestern falls to 1-3.

Jump to: