Contents
· Forums
· Our Reviews
· Search
· Web Links
· Privacy Policy

Hosted Sites
· Downey Games
There are 203 unregistered users and 0 registered users on-line.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Other Stories
· Thanksgiving Sale 2018 at Downey Games (Nov 16, 2018)
· UQ Baseball 2018 MLB Season Released (Nov 12, 2018)
· Three New Ryder Cup Seasons Available (Oct 12, 2018)
· 2018 MLB Released for HardBall Wars (Oct 03, 2018)
· 2018 IndyCar Racing Year Book Available (Sep 26, 2018)
· 2018 PGA Tour Released (Sep 25, 2018)
· 2004 and 2007 Bull Riding Available (Sep 06, 2018)
· New Bull Riding Seasons Released (Aug 24, 2018)
· UQ Boxing 2018 Year Book Released (Aug 24, 2018)
· 2017 Drag Racing Available (Aug 01, 2018)
tabletop-sports.com Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BillSOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 07, 2018 - 09:45 AM

1979 Temple 38
1976 Rutgers 14

Temple quarterback Brian Broomell threw for 228 yards and 3 TDs (all to WR Gerald Lucear) as the Owls dominated the Scarlet Knights, 38-14. Rutgers had no answer for Temple's balanced attack (236 rushing, as well). If the Rutgers secondary did not pick 5 interceptions, the score would have been even more lopsided.

1979 Temple moves to 1-1-0 on my tabletop, while Rutgers falls to 0-2-0. Next game for Temple will likely be against 1977 Pittsburgh (1-0-0).

Reply with quote Back to top
BillSOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 09, 2018 - 06:15 PM

Game action this weekend:

1983 Boston College 47
1952 Holy Cross 3

These two schools re-ignited their decades-old rivalry for real this weekend (62-14 BC victory), so I thought I'd play this matchup on my tabletop. The results were basically the same, with a 40+ scoring advantage for BC.

Doug Flutie threw for 353 yards on 20 of 33 attempts and 3 TDs to Brian Brennan to lead the Eagles over the Crusaders. BC grabbed 5 interceptions off Holy Cross's "Chuckin'" Charlie Maloy, leading to 27 Eagle points.

1983 Boston College is now 1-0-0 while 1952 Holy Cross falls to 0-5-0. HC only continues to show up on my tabletop because of my personal affinity for the school.

1962 Wisconsin 0
1962 USC 21

This was a replay of the Rose Bowl game played on January 1, 1963. The real game was a wild shootout, with the #1 Trojans beating the #2 Badgers 42-37.

The replay was all USC. The only score of the first half was a Pete Beathard interception return. Beathard, playing both ways, later threw a TD pass to Hal Bledsoe. Wisconsin never really got going and failed to take advantage of the offensive capabilities of its star quarterback, Ron Vander Kelen.

1962 USC is now 3-1-0, while 1962 Wisconsin falls to 1-2-0.

1973 Miami (OH) 38
1972 Louisville 24

Louisville got off to a fast 10-0 lead in the first quarter before Miami's QB Steve Sanna connected on 3 TD passes in the second quarter to give the Redskins (as they were known at the time) a 21-10 halftime lead. Miami would extend that lead to 31-10 in the third quarter before the Cardinals ran a Sanna fumble back for a touchdown. The teams swapped touchdowns for the rest of the 4th quarter.

1973 Miami (OH) improves to 1-1-0 and Louisville falls to 0-2-0 on my tabletop.

BillSOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 10, 2018 - 02:07 PM

1977 Notre Dame 10
1977 Texas 21

This was a replay of the Cotton Bowl played January 2, 1978. In the actual game, #5 Notre Dame stunned #1 and previously unbeaten Texas 38-10. Due to other strange bowl game results, Notre Dame was later named National Champions.

This replay would play out a little differently. The Irish would take the lead in the 1st quarter, as Joe Montana moved the Irish downfield efficiently. The Longhorn defense stiffened up in the red zone, however, and Notre Dame settled for a field goal. The score stood 3-0 into the second quarter, when Texas scored 14 unanswered points. The first points came off a 41 yard touchdown pass from Texas QB Randy McEachern to Randy Jackson. Later in the quarter, Ham Jones would take the ball in from the 5 yard line to give the Longhorns a 14-3 lead going into the locker room. There was no scoring in the 3rd quarter, but Notre Dame finally got on the board in the 4th quarter when Montana hit Ty Dickerson with a 4-yard pass to make it 14-10. The Longhorns, however, put together a long drive late in the quarter, culminating in another TD pass to Jackson to put the game out of reach.

This was the first game on my tabletop for both teams.

BillSOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 11, 2018 - 08:55 AM

1978 Clemson 17
1978 Alabama 13

I was in the mood for a good, old-fashioned ground battle, so I put these two "Rush Heavy" teams on my tabletop for their inaugural games. It did not disappoint.

Alabama got on the board first after QB Steadman Shealy took a quarterback keeper 23 yards to paydirt. Clemson would tie the game in the second quarter and then go on top after a 48-yard field goal off the foot of Obid Ariri. The score stood 10-7 at halftime.

In the second half, the Crimson Tide retook the lead with a steady drive downfield culminating in a 16-yard TD run by Tony Nathan. Alan McElroy missed the extra point, but Alabama had a 13-10 lead going into the final quarter. The teams exchanged possessions for much of the 4th quarter until Clemson finally engineered a long drive with Marvin Sims taking it in from the 2 to give the Tigers a 17-13 lead with just 1:00 remaining.

On the ensuing kickoff, Nathan caught the ball on the 10 and returned it 51 yards to give Alabama some life. However, on their 1st play from scrimmage after the return, QB Jeff Rutledge threw an interception to Clemson linebacker Matt Smith to seal the victory for the Tigers.

BillSOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 12, 2018 - 09:03 AM

1979 Purdue 3
1978 Michigan St. 48

It's going to be a long ride back to West Lafayette after this one! Michigan State took advantage of 5 Purdue turnovers in the 3rd quarter to score 28 unanswered points, turning a close game (10-3 at half) into a rout by the 4th quarter. Boilermaker quarter Mark Herrmann had an awful day, fumbling twice and throwing 3 interceptions. Herrmann's counterpart, Ed Smith, had a very good day for the Spartans, completing 17 of 26 passes for 168 yards and 3 TDs. Spartan wide receiver Kirk Gibson had 3 catches for 49 yards and a touchdown.

This was the first game for each team on my tabletop. 1978 Michigan State will likely matchup against either 1970 Ohio State or 1971 Michigan for their next game. 1979 Purdue might have to wait a while to get back on my tabletop after this performance.

BillSOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 13, 2018 - 10:45 AM

1978 USC 27
1975 Arizona St. 17

A very entertaining game this morning between these two teams making their inaugural appearance on my tabletop. The Sun Devils looked impressive early on, putting together a 9-play opening drive, but settling for a field goal and a 3-0 lead. After missing on another field goal attempt, Arizona State finally broke into the endzone when Stanley Robinson went in from the 6 to give the Sun Devils a 10-0 lead.

USC battled back and began to get their offense rolling. However, the Trojans had to settle for a pair of Frank Jordan field goals and the teams went into the locker room with the score 10-6.

The third quarter belonged to USC. Trojan QB Paul McDonald found his rhythm and connected on touchdown passes to Calvin Sweeney and Dan Garcia to take a 20-10 lead into the final quarter. Arizona State made it interesting, however, as QB Dennis Sproul came in to ignite the offense that had been quiet since early in the game. Sproul completed his first 3 passes after entering the game, the third being a 39 yard completion to John Jefferson to bring the Sun Devils to within 3 at 20-17.

After forcing a USC punt, Arizona State started another drive in an attempt to regain the lead. This drive, however, was halted when Trojan DB Ronnie Lott intercepted a Sproul pass, giving his offense a short field. With that opportunity, McDonald hit Charles White out of the backfield for an 11-yard touchdown pass to clinch the 27-17 victory for USC.

BillSOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 14, 2018 - 09:37 AM

Last night and this morning on my tabletop:

1941 Notre Dame 16
1940 Stanford 2

1941 Notre Dame came in to last night's game against Stanford with a 4-1 record, ranked 4th in my 1940s-1950s Top 10. Three of those victories were shutouts. Notre Dame's only blemish came at the hands of #2 1945 Army. Stanford had a less-than-impressive 0-1-1 record, but many observers felt that the Stanford offense had underachieved and could produce against the tough Irish defense.

They were wrong. Stanford did get on the board first, as the defense scored a safety by tackling Irish back Bill Earley in the endzone in the 1st quarter. That would be it for scoring for the Indians on the day. All-purpose back Steve Juzwick scored a touchdown, kicked a field goal, and converted 1 of 2 extra points to lead the attack for Notre Dame. The score was 16-2 at half and the teams played a scoreless second half.

With the victory, 1941 Notre Dame moved up to #3 in my 1940s-50s Top 10, jumping over 1947 Penn State. Stanford (0-2-1) will not likely be back on the tabletop soon.

1982 Penn State 21
1982 Georgia 15

This would be a battle of running backs, with Penn State's Curt Warner dueling against the Bulldogs' Herschel Walker. For some reason unknown to the home crowd, Walker did not carry the ball for the entire 1st quarter. Meanwhile, Warner was running and catching the ball for the Nittany Lions, as Penn State took a 14-0 lead.

Walker would come alive in the second quarter, however, as Georgia got on the board after a 49-yard field goal off the foot of Kevin Butler. Penn State increased their lead to 21-3, however, as Todd Blackledge connected with Kenny Jackson on a screen pass that Jackson took 1 yard for a score. Walker boosted Georgia's hopes, however, as his 28-yard touchdown run closed the gap. Butler would miss the extra point, so the score stood at 21-9 at halftime.

Both teams' defenses took control in the second half. Georgia would do all of the scoring in the second half, but the scoring would be restricted to 2 Butler field goals (50 and 44 yards). Penn State held on to win the game, 21-15.

Walker finished with 135 yards on 19 carries, while Warner finished with 95 yards on 15 carries. Warner also caught 4 passes for 32 yards and a touchdown.

1979 Alabama 21
1979 Oklahoma 31

I thought I would matchup two schools that almost never face each other in real life, despite their storied histories. Oklahoma got off to a fast start, as they took a 14-0 lead into the second quarter after touchdown runs by Billy Sims and Royce Coleman. Alabama would answer in the second quarter when Don Jacobs ran it in from the 10, making the score 14-7. After Sooner kicker Mike Keeling kicked a 29-yard field goal, the teams went into the locker room with the Sooners leading 17-7. Another Oklahoma touchdown run by Freddie Nixon gave the Sooners a 24-7 lead entering the final quarter.

Alabama looked down and out, but Sooner back David Overstreet fumbled the ball on his own 9 yard line. Alabama capitalized on this miscue a few plays later, as Mark Nix scored from the 4 to make it 24-14. The Crimson Tide scored again, as QB Steadman Shealy took a keeper in from the 7 to bring the Tide to within 3 at 24-21 with 6 minutes remaining. On the ensuing kickoff, Oklahoma returner Stanley Wilson fumbled the ball and Alabama recovered and looked to be in position to take the lead in the game. However, Shealy fumbled the ball back to Oklahoma on the Tide's second play of their drive. Sooner QB J.C. Watts drove Oklahoma downfield and then scored on a 3-yard run to seal the victory.

This was the first game on my tabletop for both teams.

Jump to: