Contents
· Forums
· Our Reviews
· Search
· Web Links
· Privacy Policy

Hosted Sites
· Downey Games
There are 136 unregistered users and 0 registered users on-line.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Other Stories
· 2017 Drag Racing Available (Aug 01, 2018)
· 2018 World Cup Available (Jul 17, 2018)
· 2018 College Baseball and Softball Released (Jun 20, 2018)
· 2018 Ultra Quick Wrestling Released (Apr 24, 2018)
· RLB Classic 2018 NBA Released (Apr 19, 2018)
· POTG Basketball 2018 NBA Available (Apr 19, 2018)
· UQ Basketball 2018 NBA Available (Apr 19, 2018)
· UQ Hockey 2018 NHL Available (Apr 11, 2018)
· Final Score Hockey 2017-18 Universe Released (Apr 11, 2018)
· Downey Games 2018 Easter Sale Begins (Mar 26, 2018)
tabletop-sports.com Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ARothman
Post subject: QUESTION ON UQ TENNIS  PostPosted: Dec 31, 2017 - 09:25 AM

While waiting for 2017 UQ Tennis to come out I was playing the 2016 version and had a question if you can answer it. I was reading about ELO ratings and was wondering if that was what you used to rate the players. I have several tennis databases I subscribe to and was curious. Thank you for all the great games!

Andrew Rothman

Reply with quote Back to top
Downey GamesOffline
Post subject: Re: QUESTION ON UQ TENNIS  PostPosted: Dec 31, 2017 - 10:22 AM
Site Admin

ARothman wrote:
While waiting for 2017 UQ Tennis to come out I was playing the 2016 version and had a question if you can answer it. I was reading about ELO ratings and was wondering if that was what you used to rate the players. I have several tennis databases I subscribe to and was curious. Thank you for all the great games!

Andrew Rothman

No, we use more of a modified RPI system, which works much better in a gaming system. We want the player's rating to be relative to not only one another, but also spanning multiple "seasons" so you can match up a player from 1984 and 2017 and get plausible results where both players are on an equal footing.

ELO ratings are good, for their intent, which is mainly for betting purposes, although you have some that will deny that.

Basically, an ELO rating will give you a probability for a player or team winning a particular game or match, within a particular set of seasonal parameters.

With gaming, the goal is different. In UQ Tennis, this is vastly different, as the rating not only has to provide a baseline for a winner and loser in the overall context. But, it also has to perform on a game-by-game basis within a set, within a match. There also has to be some provision, no matter how small for the potential upset. Otherwise, the gaming we do isn't much fun.

That was the long answer. The brief synopsis, which probably addresses your question better is that ELO and our system have the same premise. But, the end goal is much different. If you were to use the ELO ratings within UQ Tennis you will get very lopsided results, and in the end of a season, nothing that would resemble "real life". The goal of ELO ratings are different. And the baseline is vastly different.

ARothman
Post subject: RE: Re: QUESTION ON UQ TENNIS  PostPosted: Dec 31, 2017 - 11:23 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. I am looking forward to the next season of UQ TENNIS.

ANDREW

Downey GamesOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: QUESTION ON UQ TENNIS  PostPosted: Dec 31, 2017 - 11:39 AM
Site Admin

ARothman wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply. I am looking forward to the next season of UQ TENNIS.

ANDREW

As soon as we get all of the football finished, we will get to the other games and seasons. i.e. Racing, Tennis, golf, etc.

ARothman
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: QUESTION ON UQ TENNIS  PostPosted: Dec 31, 2017 - 12:40 PM

Thanks! If I can help let me know.

Andrew

Jump to: