· Search
· Web Links
· Privacy Policy

Hosted Sites
· Gary's Saddle Racing
· Legends of Boxing
· Decisive Action Sports
· Downey Games
There are 149 unregistered users and 0 registered users on-line.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Other Stories
· 2017 Thanksgiving Sale Extended 24 hours (Nov 25, 2017)
· 2017 Thanksgiving Sale at Downey Games (Nov 21, 2017)
· History of Women's World Cup Soccer Released (Nov 04, 2017)
· 2016-17 Universe Released for Downey's Final Score Soccer (Nov 03, 2017)
· Momentum Football 1968 Season Available (Oct 29, 2017)
· 2013 and 2017 President's Cup for POTG Golf Available (Oct 08, 2017)
· 2017 MLB Available for UQ Baseball (Oct 02, 2017)
· 2017 MLB Year Book released for HardBall Wars (Oct 02, 2017)
· 2017 PGA Tour Released for POTG Golf (Sep 27, 2017)
· Ultra Quick Wrestling 1960's Eastern Territory Available (Sep 22, 2017)
tabletop-sports.com Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Chub9Offline
Post subject: 1972-73 Philadelphia 76ers with POTG Basketball  PostPosted: Mar 29, 2017 - 09:11 PM

Very cool Jeff,

Loving this replay. You wouldn't think any team was this bad but the sixers were.

Walter

Reply with quote Back to top
Jeff NicholsonOffline
Post subject: RE: 1972-73 Philadelphia 76ers with POTG Basketball  PostPosted: Mar 30, 2017 - 12:04 PM

Thanks Walter. I'm having a lot of fun with the replays and the write-ups. The mid 60s through the mid 70s were, for me, the best era of pro basketball.

Jeff NicholsonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 31, 2017 - 12:05 PM

Game 8

Milwaukee Bucks @ Philadelphia 76ers
The Spectrum
October 28, 1972

Are these the same Sixers ? After getting blown out in their previous 5 games by 29, 39, 54, 33, and 28 points, the Sixers lose a close one at The Spectrum to the Milwaukee Bucks (60-22 in real life) by 5 points, 114-109. This game had all the makings of another blow out as Philadelphia was at a 24 point disadvantage during the game, down from the original 26. Additionally, the Bucks had 1 more Scoring Roll than did the Sixers.

Milwaukee had 7 players score in double digits, although 3 of those just barely made the mark. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar scored 26 points to lead the Bucks, with "The Big O" adding 19. Philadelphia had 4 players notch double figures, but it was essentially a 3 man show as Fred Carter hit for 34, John Block for 25, and Bill Bridges for 20.

actual result:
Milwaukee - 96
Philadelphia - 92

Philadelphia record:
actual (0-8)
replay (1-7)

BillSOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 31, 2017 - 02:16 PM

Wow! Considering the difference in the teams, and how the teams are rated in this game, it is incredible how close to real life the score actually was. My experience with UltraQuick Basketball is that the truly bad teams actually perform worse and the good teams perform slightly better than real life. It would not shock me if that one win your Sixers got is their last!

Jeff NicholsonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 01, 2017 - 02:05 PM

BillS wrote:
Wow! Considering the difference in the teams, and how the teams are rated in this game, it is incredible how close to real life the score actually was. My experience with UltraQuick Basketball is that the truly bad teams actually perform worse and the good teams perform slightly better than real life. It would not shock me if that one win your Sixers got is their last!
Thanks for the note. Your message references UQ Basketball, not sure if you meant to say POTG or not.

For me, the game design and updates that have brought POTG Basketball to it's current state are outstanding. It's the function of that design, and of those updates, that makes it easy to see why a poor team defeated a good team, a poor team got blown out by a good team, and a poor team narrowly lost to a good team. It's also easy to see before a game just how hard it's going to be for that poor team to try and snatch a victory from that good team. Add in the fact that there's individual scoring and I think Downey Games has a definite winner.

If you roll a 0-9 die 1,000 times the average roll will be 4.5, or so close to 4.5 that the difference is statistically insignificant. Likewise with a 1-10 die, where the average roll is 5.5. But, over a much shorter span of rolls the average can vary a great deal. It's that variance, along with the point adjustments, both those applied and those lost, for DEF and HCA (also SOS and Conference Normalization in the College version), and the number of Scoring Rolls for each team, that determines which team wins the game and how close, or not, the final score is.

Three games that the Sixers have played so far against good teams are examples of this. In the first game of the season the Sixers (9-73) defeated the Bulls (51-31) by 2 points, 100-98. The Sixers were at a 20 point disadvantage for the game, down from the original 24. A very steep hill to climb. Both teams had the same number of 0-9 and 1-10 Scoring Rolls. The Sixers averaged 5.0 on 0-9 rolls, the Bulls averaged 3.6, a huge difference. The Bulls came out better on the 1-10 rolls, averaging 5.5 to the Sixers 4.5. There are a lot more 0-9 rolls so the Sixers prevailed.

In the fifth game the Knicks (57-25) blew the Sixers out by 54 points, 138-84. Both teams had the same number of 0-9 and 1-10 Scoring Rolls. The Sixers were at a 28 point disadvantage during the game which was the original number. Forget the hill, a 28 point disadvantage is a steep mountain to climb. The dice must have had some money on New York because even with that big point advantage at the start of the game, most of the rolls favored the Knicks. New York averaged 5.8 on the 0-9 rolls, compared to Philadelphia's 3.8, a massive difference. The Sixers averaged 7.3 on the 1-10 rolls, with the Knicks averaging 4.8, keeping the blowout from being worse.

The eighth game saw the Bucks (60-22) defeat the Sixers by 5 points, 114-109. Philadelphia was at a 24 point disadvantage during the game, down from the original 26. Additionally, while both teams had the same number of 1-10 Scoring Rolls, the Bucks had 1 more 0-9 Scoring Rolls than did the Sixers, effectively putting Philadelphia at a 28.5 point disadvantage. This disadvantage was just about the same as in the game against the Knicks, but the outcome, while still a loss, was vastly different. Philadelphia averaged 5.1 on 0-9 rolls, Milwaukee averaged 4.3. On the 1-10 rolls the Sixers averaged 6.8, the Bucks averaged 4.8. The averages of both the 0-9 and 1-10 Scoring Rolls favored the Sixers, just not enough for them to overcome their huge disadvantage.

As I pointed out in my first post in this thread, I don't think the Sixers were quite as bad as 9 wins would indicate. They were terrible for sure, but maybe not quite as terrible as their record. At the end of the replay I expect that they will be somewhere around that 15 win mark that the Expected W-L formula at Basketball Reference gives them.

BillSOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 03, 2017 - 08:56 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the note. Your message references UQ Basketball, not sure if you meant to say POTG or not.

Ugh! Sorry for the brain cramp, Jeff. For some reason I had UQ on my mind. I'm guessing POTG, as the more detailed game, is going to give more accurate results than UQ would.

I look forward to continuing to follow your Sixers!

Chub9Offline
Post subject: 1972-73 philadrlphia 76ers with potg basketball  PostPosted: Apr 03, 2017 - 08:30 PM

Hi Jeff,

Enjoying your replay alot. What version of the game are you playing? Basic or advanced. Are you keeping rebound or assist totals?

Walter

Jeff NicholsonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 05, 2017 - 03:21 PM

BillS wrote:
Ugh! Sorry for the brain cramp, Jeff. For some reason I had UQ on my mind. I'm guessing POTG, as the more detailed game, is going to give more accurate results than UQ would.

I look forward to continuing to follow your Sixers!
Thanks for following along. I'm having a lot of fun reliving the "glory" days of Sixers basketball Very Happy

Jeff NicholsonOffline
Post subject: Re: 1972-73 philadrlphia 76ers with potg basketball  PostPosted: Apr 05, 2017 - 03:25 PM

Chub9 wrote:
Hi Jeff,

Enjoying your replay alot. What version of the game are you playing? Basic or advanced. Are you keeping rebound or assist totals?

Walter
Thanks Walter. I'm playing the Basic version. I've played a lot of POTG Basketball and find that I get a very realistic spread of points, both individual and team, with the Basic version.

I'm not keeping rebounds/assists, just points.

Jeff NicholsonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 12, 2017 - 01:41 PM

Game 9

Philadelphia 76ers @ Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Arena
October 31, 1972

For the second time in three games the Sixers lose to the Cavaliers, this one in Cleveland. It wasn't a blowout, but a loss is still a loss, Cleveland prevailing by 12, 109-97.

All 10 of the Cavaliers who played got their names in the scoring column, 6 of them hitting double digits. Cleveland was led by John Johnson and Lenny Wilkens who netted 20 points each. The Sixers had 4 players in double figures, but on the flip side they had 3 players who didn't make the scoring column at all. Fred Carter topped Philadelphia with 24 points, followed by Bill Bridges who added 22.

actual result:
Philadelphia - 116
Cleveland - 126

Philadelphia record:
actual (0-9)
replay (1-8)

gridironOffline
Post subject: 76ers Replay  PostPosted: Apr 12, 2017 - 04:02 PM

Are you using the advanced options of "pace" and "control"?

Jeff NicholsonOffline
Post subject: Re: 76ers Replay  PostPosted: Apr 13, 2017 - 11:18 AM

gridiron wrote:
Are you using the advanced options of "pace" and "control"?
I am not using the Pace/Control or Transfer options. I find that I get a realistic spread of points, both team and individual, without them.

gridironOffline
Post subject: POTG Hoops  PostPosted: Apr 13, 2017 - 01:22 PM

Cool. Will be following your 76ers season. Also, may ask questions as I am about to get a 85-86 Hawks season underway.

Jeff NicholsonOffline
Post subject: Re: POTG Hoops  PostPosted: Apr 14, 2017 - 11:15 AM

gridiron wrote:
Cool. Will be following your 76ers season. Also, may ask questions as I am about to get a 85-86 Hawks season underway.
Thanks. Please feel free to ask questions, POTG Basketball is a great game.

Jeff NicholsonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 20, 2017 - 01:24 PM

Game 10

Houston Rockets @ Philadelphia 76ers
The Spectrum
November 1, 1972

A new opponent but an all too familiar result. The Rockets visit The Spectrum and leave town with a 10 point victory, 111-101.

All 9 players who took the court for Houston found their way into the scoring column. Mike Newlin led the Rockets with 28, followed by Rudy Tomjanovich who added 20. Houston had 4 others who totaled double digits. A familiar result, and a familiar story for the Sixers. Philadelphia's top 2 scorers, Fred Carter with 31 and Kevin Loughery with 22, put up 5 more than did Houston's top 2, but here's where the familiar story comes in. The bottom 3 scorers for the Sixers combined for just 2 points, 1 from Dale Schlueter, 1 from Freddie Boyd, and a goose egg from Bob Rule. Better production from the bottom of the scoring column just might give the Sixers a shot at some wins.

actual result:
Houston - 108
Philadelphia - 104

Philadelphia record:
actual (0-10)
replay (1-9)

Jump to: