Contents
· Forums
· Our Reviews
· Search
· Web Links
· Privacy Policy

Hosted Sites
· Downey Games
There are 146 unregistered users and 0 registered users on-line.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Other Stories
· UQ Baseball 2018 MLB Season Released (Nov 12, 2018)
· Three New Ryder Cup Seasons Available (Oct 12, 2018)
· 2018 MLB Released for HardBall Wars (Oct 03, 2018)
· 2018 IndyCar Racing Year Book Available (Sep 26, 2018)
· 2018 PGA Tour Released (Sep 25, 2018)
· 2004 and 2007 Bull Riding Available (Sep 06, 2018)
· New Bull Riding Seasons Released (Aug 24, 2018)
· UQ Boxing 2018 Year Book Released (Aug 24, 2018)
· 2017 Drag Racing Available (Aug 01, 2018)
· 2018 World Cup Available (Jul 17, 2018)
tabletop-sports.com Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jahartOffline
Post subject: Magnolia League  PostPosted: Mar 30, 2017 - 12:07 PM

A great "what if" scenario, the genesis of the Magnolia Conference came in 1948, when Yale, frustrated by a 35-0 loss to Vanderbilt in football, refused to play the Commodores any more. The Vanderbilt chancellor, annoyed by this, convened a meeting of like-minded private Southern schools in an attempt to form a "Southern Ivy League" where academic excellence would not be secondary to athletic pursuits.

Talks continued off and on throughout the 1950s, but a big push occured in 1963 when Tulane, sick of being cannon fodder in the SEC against schools with, shall we say, less rigorous admissions standards, sought out Vanderbilt, Duke, Rice and Southern Methodist about the formation of a so-called "Magnolia League."

In real life, it didn't get off the ground. Duke, who became a charter member of the ACC ten years previous, didn't want to give up its rivalry with North Carolina (and with good reason!). And Rice and SMU didn't want to leave the Southwest Conference and say goodbye to revenue from the Cotton Bowl.

But what if...

What if Duke was able to be persuaded by allowing Carolina into the Magnolia League as well? While UNC is a public university, it has high admission standards and research component, and is rigorous academically.

What if Rice and SMU were made to listen to reason? Sure, they got some revenue from the Cotton Bowl, but not as much as they would have if they actually played in the game. And with Texas and Texas A&M in the SWC, the chances of the Owls and Mustangs playing in the Cotton Bowl were slim.

So on July 1, 1962, the chancellors of Tulane, Vanderbilt, Duke, North Carolina, Rice and Southern Methodist announced they would be withdrawing from the SEC, ACC and SWC with immediate effect to form a new all-sport conference, the Magnolia League. It would be a Southern counterweight to the Ivy League, where, in the words of Tulane president Herbert Longenecker, schools could "maintain high-end Division I budgets and schedules, while avoiding some of the crasser extremes of the big business of college sports."

In order to get the conference to a more desirable eight members, the Magnolia Leagueextended invitations to Southern Conference members Davidson and Furman, who accepted. Both schools fit the Magnolia Conference footprint, were private Southern schools with high academic standards, and, importantly, had Division I football programs.

I will be playing out the Magnolia League basketball seasons using the Final Score College Basketball books for the appropriate season, starting with 1962-63. I will only play out the conference schedule, conference tournament, and NCAA Tournament.

I will work on the assumption that the Magnolia League will get an automatic bid, and remove what I feel is the worst independent, at-large team from the field. If a Magnolia school actually made the tournament as the ACC, SEC, SWC or Southern champ (which, let's face it, really only will apply to Carolina, Duke or Davidson), then that spot will go to the next-placed team in real life, according to sports-reference.com

Yes, there will be a Magnolia League post-season tournament. While it seems anathema to the aims of the League, I'm working on the assumption that the ex-Southern Conference schools (Carolina, Duke, Davidson and Furman) would insist upon it as a condition of their participation.

The next post will go over the 1963 Magnolia League regular season.

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: