· SGD and TSW Archives
· Web Links
· Privacy Policy

Hosted Sites
· Gary's Saddle Racing
· Legends of Boxing
· Decisive Action Sports
· Downey Games
There are 132 unregistered users and 0 registered users on-line.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Other Stories
· 2017 NBA Available for POTG Basketball (Apr 21, 2017)
· 2017 NHL Available for Ultra Quick Hockey (Apr 21, 2017)
· 2017 NBA Available for Real/Life Basketball Classic (Apr 20, 2017)
· Final Score Hockey 2017 Universe Available (Apr 19, 2017)
· 2017 Easter Sale Begins! (Apr 11, 2017)
· HR Derby Original TV Show Set Released (Mar 20, 2017)
· 2017 POTG College Basketball Year Book Available (Mar 15, 2017)
· 2017 UQ College Hoops Available (Mar 13, 2017)
· FS College Basketball 2017 Season Available (Mar 13, 2017)
· Downey's Final Score College Basketball Released (Mar 12, 2017)
tabletop-sports.com Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jdowneyadminOffline
Post subject: Cardboard Baseball and On Base %  PostPosted: Aug 25, 2011 - 01:46 PM
Site Admin

I've been asked about batter's OB% within Cardboard Baseball, and why hitter's don't have walk and strikeout modifiers.

As I've been fairly clear about, the game's design intent was to provide a way to bring baseball cards to life. Most baseball cards from earlier years didn't include the stats we have available with the website OR on the current crop of Topps cards. Walks for hitters weren't on every card. And some years didn't include K's.

The Cardboard Baseball website has really taken the game down a different path than I intended. Although, I'll readily admit that it's pretty cool to have it.

At any rate, there is a really simple way to implement batter walks and strikeouts.

On the Pitch chart, the result for the 10 would change to the batter's modifier, rather than the pitcher. The modifier would be draw card X10.

The out result would remain the same. So in the mind's eye, consider a low strikeout batter to have made contact and advances the runners.

Removing the pitcher's modifier here will NOT disturb the strikeout accuracy. In fact, it probably fine tunes it a bit.

For walks, the "fix" is pretty much the same only we are changing the KING result from the Pitcher to the Hitter. And the modifier will again be draw card X10. If the check fails, the batter will still advance to The swing chart.

The above two changes should give you a pretty darned accurate measure of a hitter's ability to draw walks and strikeout, without affecting the overall integrity of the game.

So, in summary...

On "the Pitch..." chart, result 10 becomes a check for batter's K's with a modifier of Draw Card X10. The batter's K's are on the cards at the website for all seasons.

On "the Pitch..." chart, result K becomes a check for the Batter's walks with a modifier of Draw Card X10. The Batter's walks are also on the cards at the website.

For players with under 250 at-bats make the modifier for each Draw Card X5.

Reply with quote Back to top
rickertOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 25, 2011 - 02:57 PM

This is a great idea without sacrificing fun and simplicity. I will begin using it in my games immediately.

PadresfanModsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 26, 2011 - 12:01 AM

Jeff - is the Pitch Chart 10 result still a "split - black/red" result with this change?

jdowneyadminOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 26, 2011 - 05:25 AM
Site Admin

PadresfanMods wrote:
Jeff - is the Pitch Chart 10 result still a "split - black/red" result with this change?

Looking at what I posted, I didn't explain that well enough. I know what I had in my mind, if that makes any difference! Smile

You are going to check the batter's K rate for both black and red with the X10 modifier. If the check FAILS and the card is black, you move to "the Swing..." chart. If it is red and the check fails, you use the OUT result of GO with runners advancing a base.

So, a red is going to be an out either way. This would represent a batter fighting off a tough pitch, but still making contact.

The black represents a batter getting a pitch that he can perhaps "do something with", which is why you go to "the Swing..." chart.

This should give you a pretty accurate picture of a free swinger and a batter that doesn't strike out as much.

PadresfanModsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 27, 2011 - 02:21 AM

Jeff - Ok, so this took me a while to wrap my head around, but I've got it now. So when you draw a red card against the 10, the batter is doomed - and the only check is if he strikes out (check succeeds) or grounds out advancing the runners (check fails). Right?

Travis JansenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 04, 2016 - 05:43 PM

I know this is way old (Hi Al!) but I'm trying to clear this up for me and I don't think waht Al said in his last post was correct, or at least it's a little unclear.

If you draw a red card you can still pass the test by having your batters strikeouts more than the modifier and thus resulting in a strikeout.

If you fail that test e.g., your batters SO < modifier, if the card you drew was red you GO, otherwise it's black and go to swing. Is that correct?

Downey GamesOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 04, 2016 - 06:06 PM
Site Admin

Travis Jansen wrote:
I know this is way old (Hi Al!) but I'm trying to clear this up for me and I don't think waht Al said in his last post was correct, or at least it's a little unclear.

If you draw a red card you can still pass the test by having your batters strikeouts more than the modifier and thus resulting in a strikeout.

If you fail that test e.g., your batters SO < modifier, if the card you drew was red you GO, otherwise it's black and go to swing. Is that correct?

You have it right.

Travis JansenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 04, 2016 - 10:17 PM

Excellent thanks.

This is the summary I had come up with for the 4 scenarios:

Pitcher Walks - if actual walks is > test value, walk, otherwise swing
Pitcher Strikeouts - if actual strikeouts is > test value, batter strikes out, otherwise swing

Batter walks - if actual walks is > test value, they walk, otherwise swing
Batter strikeouts - if actual strikeouts > test value, batter strikes out, otherwise swing/GO based on color

It's a little confusing to me whether I'm supposed to beat the modifier or be lass than the modifier and thrn throw the batters stats in there and it's even more confusing. The above was how it was explained to me though and it's how I was playing it so I hope it's right.

ljean8080Offline
Post subject: Travis,do you know when your rater  PostPosted: May 06, 2016 - 09:37 PM

will be out?

Travis JansenOffline
Post subject: RE: Travis,do you know when your rater  PostPosted: May 09, 2016 - 09:23 AM

Hey ljean8080, it's actually probably usable right now, though it isn't ready for primetime. Shoot me an email (travis at jansens dot us) and I'll get you a link. You can help test...

I had a long weekend where I wasn't able to do much on it, but Rickert and I are possibly looking into some chart tweaks to spice things up a bit.

ljean8080Offline
Post subject: Hey Travis,the email I sent you bounced back.  PostPosted: May 09, 2016 - 11:28 AM

My email is ljean8080@gmail.com.

rickertOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Travis,do you know when your rater  PostPosted: Feb 15, 2017 - 08:02 AM

Travis Jansen wrote:
Hey ljean8080, it's actually probably usable right now, though it isn't ready for primetime. Shoot me an email (travis at jansens dot us) and I'll get you a link. You can help test...

I had a long weekend where I wasn't able to do much on it, but Rickert and I are possibly looking into some chart tweaks to spice things up a bit.

Sent you an email about this.

ljean8080Offline
Post subject: I never got it.  PostPosted: Feb 15, 2017 - 05:53 PM

Didn't there used to be a website with all the teams for this game?

gord69Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 16, 2017 - 06:55 PM

Yes but it went down some time ago, but I did upload here (download section) all the teams/seasons I had downloaded. With luck others will add to them

ljean8080Offline
14 Post subject: I REALLY  PostPosted: Feb 16, 2017 - 09:55 PM

HOPE THEY would/or bring the website back.

Jump to: