Contents
· Forums
· Our Reviews
· Search
· Web Links
· Privacy Policy

Hosted Sites
· Downey Games
There are 171 unregistered users and 1 registered user on-line.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Other Stories
· Thanksgiving Sale 2018 at Downey Games (Nov 16, 2018)
· UQ Baseball 2018 MLB Season Released (Nov 12, 2018)
· Three New Ryder Cup Seasons Available (Oct 12, 2018)
· 2018 MLB Released for HardBall Wars (Oct 03, 2018)
· 2018 IndyCar Racing Year Book Available (Sep 26, 2018)
· 2018 PGA Tour Released (Sep 25, 2018)
· 2004 and 2007 Bull Riding Available (Sep 06, 2018)
· New Bull Riding Seasons Released (Aug 24, 2018)
· UQ Boxing 2018 Year Book Released (Aug 24, 2018)
· 2017 Drag Racing Available (Aug 01, 2018)
tabletop-sports.com Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Downey Games-ChrisOffline
Post subject: New Home Run Derby Game  PostPosted: Jul 17, 2013 - 12:04 PM

Downey Games is proud to announce the release of our Home Run Derby game.

The base game includes:

*The top 50 home run hitters from 2010 to present
*All rules and charts needed to play
*Individual ball park cards for every home run derby venue from its inception in 1985 to the 2013 site, Citi Field. Also included is a stadium card for Wrigley Field (Los Angeles), which was the site for the clasic television series.

The E-Book version is available here: http://www.downeygames.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5_59_176

The Printed version is available here: http://www.downeygames.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_58_175

The printed version features die-cut player cards printed in full color, just like our Time Travel Baseball offerings.

The Home Run Derby has always fascinated me for as long as I can remember. My fascination grew when I caught the 1960ís TV show in passing. I then found out that the series was put on DVD, and I snapped it up when I had the chance.

Dad had tinkered with an add-on for Time Travel Baseball to conduct a home run derby, using existing Time Travel flash*cards but never got it quite right. Chris and I tried to pick up on the idea, but we could not get it right either.

We did however come up with something that really clicked and still used the Time Travel Baseball engine. Our Home Run Derby game is very simple. But, it captures the essence and excitement of Home Run Derby very well, and plays rapidly. I am extremely happy with the final result. I hope that you are too.

We also have the following sets available at launch:

*The Top 400 Career HR Hitters of all time.
*The Top 400 Single Season HR hitters of all time.
*The top 50 HR Hitters from the 1900s
*The Top 50 HR Hitters from the 1910s
*The Top 50 HR Hitters from the 1920s
*The Top 50 HR Hitters from the 1930s
*The Top 50 HR Hitters from the 1940s
*The Top 100 HR Hitters from the 1950s
*The Top 100 HR Hitters from the 1960s
*The Top 100 HR Hitters from the 1970s
*The Top 100 HR Hitters from the 1980s
*The Top 100 HR Hitters from the 1990s
*The Top 100 HR Hitters from the 2000s

Reply with quote Back to top
rickertOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 17, 2013 - 04:21 PM

I purchased this and I think it will be fun. I will post some results in another thread. Thanks for the work.

professordpOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 18, 2013 - 11:31 PM

I just bought the game with the 1950s sluggers. I remember watching it as a kid back in 1960, and subsequently I bought the three DVDs which comprise the broadcasts.

Great that the ballpark is Wrigley, LA...just like it was with the TV broadcast.

Sadly, the announcer, Mark Scott, died suddenly of a heart attack at age forty-five after the show premiered and that was all there was to Home [i]Run Derby[/i]. In many respects, Scott was the essence of the program with his total enthusiasm for the derby.

It's great that someone finally decided to put this together...should be a fun quick play.

rbickart4Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 19, 2013 - 02:21 PM

Question: Does this Home Run Derby game involve any strategy and/or decision-making, or is it just roll the dice and see the result?

galarilOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 19, 2013 - 04:03 PM

rbickart4 wrote:
Question: Does this Home Run Derby game involve any strategy and/or decision-making, or is it just roll the dice and see the result?

Frankly, I am not sure what strategy or decision making there is in this type of thing even in real life. Never really cared for these allstar game side shows or understood the point of them Slam dunk contest, HR derby etc.

rotorheadOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 20, 2013 - 06:55 AM

I have have box set on DVD of the series. Found it in the $5 bin at Walmart. Good stuff.

professordpOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 20, 2013 - 02:14 PM

galaril wrote:
rbickart4 wrote:

Frankly, I am not sure what strategy or decision making there is in this type of thing even in real life. Never really cared for these allstar game side shows or understood the point of them Slam dunk contest, HR derby etc.

Generally, I'm with you with the "sideshow" stuff. This, however, is a tad different in the sense that it really wasn't part of any sort of All-Star game in its genesis.

Instead it was a one-season TV show from 1960. The DVDs are pretty cheap and well worth the price. While the other guy was batting, Mark Scott would sit in the box and gab with the likes of Mantle, Mays, Aaron, and all the rest.

I guess my primary reason for buying the game is nostalgia (ordered it with the 1950s sluggers). I'll sit back, watch the DVDs and play the game...and root for a dark horse like Bob Cerv to win it all (LOL)!

But I definitely agree with you about what they do today...perfect term, a sideshow. Nevertheless, the old TV show had a certain charm about it...plus they're slugging away in Wrigley, LA in the game which is where they filmed the show.

Er...strategy???? It's just batting practice...not rocket science. Throw one over the plate and give the batter a chance to belt it out of the park!

Great idea for a quick play, however!

Downey Games-ChrisOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 22, 2013 - 10:43 PM

rbickart4 wrote:

As Dan and the Professor pointed out, there is not really any strategy for homerun derby in real life.

Our game would be the roll and watch the results type.

professordpOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 25, 2013 - 10:19 PM

The game just arrived earlier today, and I want to state that thought that went into it is quite impressive. The rules are very basic (as they should be for a simple contest like a homerun derby). You can be "swinging for the fences" in a few minutes after reading through them.

Tony Downey did an excellent job providing the history of the competition and explaining the variations in the rules from the 1960s TV show to present, all of which can be adapted to the game.

I purchased the 1950s set. The sluggers are rated for their homerun production during the decade (1950-1959 in this instance). In addition to the ratings, each batter's card has the total number homeruns he during that period. And it even includes the range of seasons that the hitter played during the decade which is helpful if your setting up a group-style competition.

The various ballparks are on individual cards which not only hold the stadium's rating but also includes a color photo of the field as well.

Finally, there's an optional homerun distance chart in the event that you want to add a little more depth and color to your derby. It's easy to incorporate and adds to the fun.

It's a perfect competition for a quick play and really captures the essence of a home run derby, regardless of the particular rules you employ when playing it.

I've picked up a number of games this year, both quick and full plays, and this is one of the more entertaining table tops that I've purchased in either genre.

Downey GamesOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 26, 2013 - 12:10 AM
Site Admin

Glad to hear that you like the game!

galarilOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 12, 2016 - 11:18 PM

Would Fred Lynn and Andre Dawson happen to have madden the cut for any sets?

Downey GamesOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 12, 2016 - 11:29 PM
Site Admin

galaril wrote:

Both are in the Top 400 Career, Top 400 Single Season, and 1980's Decade.

Lynn is also in the 1970's Decade, while Dawson is in the 1990's Decade.

galarilOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 13, 2016 - 12:15 AM

Downey Games wrote:
galaril wrote:

Both are in the Top 400 Career, Top 400 Single Season, and 1980's Decade.

Lynn is also in the 1970's Decade, while Dawson is in the 1990's Decade.

Awesome and thanks....the fact these are like the time travel cards is really cool. I have a bunch of thos sets. Wish three would be some more of the worlds series sets but get that somethings are less bug sellers than others.

Jump to: