· Search
· Web Links
· Privacy Policy

Hosted Sites
· Gary's Saddle Racing
· Legends of Boxing
· Decisive Action Sports
· Downey Games
There are 136 unregistered users and 0 registered users on-line.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Other Stories
· 2017 Game Winning Drive College Football Available (Dec 13, 2017)
· 2017 Ultra Quick College Football Available (Dec 12, 2017)
· 2017 College Football Universe Available for Final Score (Dec 12, 2017)
· 2017 Thanksgiving Sale Extended 24 hours (Nov 25, 2017)
· 2017 Thanksgiving Sale at Downey Games (Nov 21, 2017)
· History of Women's World Cup Soccer Released (Nov 04, 2017)
· 2016-17 Universe Released for Downey's Final Score Soccer (Nov 03, 2017)
· Momentum Football 1968 Season Available (Oct 29, 2017)
· 2013 and 2017 President's Cup for POTG Golf Available (Oct 08, 2017)
· 2017 MLB Available for UQ Baseball (Oct 02, 2017)
tabletop-sports.com Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ButchOffline
Post subject: Games played with standard baseball cards  PostPosted: Mar 05, 2016 - 02:15 PM

Hi, we're looking for information on tabletop baseball games played using standard "wax-pack" baseball cards
(as opposed to unique cards specially produced for the game). Games produced commercially, or fan-made games
that might be available in downloads from this site, are both of interest.

Games of this genre that we know of include:

Baseball Card All-Star Game -- 1987, CapToys

Card Baseball -- 1991, MacQue

Pennant Quest -- 1992, maker uncertain but might be "Speerit"

Baseball Card Baseball -- circa 1995, maker uncertain but starts with "S"

The Original Baseball Card Game -- 1990s, SLJ

All-Star Baseball Card Game -- circa 1996, possibly by KSport; then circa 1996-2008, possibly by ABC Game Co
(it's possible these are actually two completely different games produced with the same title by the two separate
publishers, neither of which is to be confused with Baseball Card All-Star Game by CapToys)

Front Row Baseball -- 2001, Miltema

Cardboard Baseball -- 2011, Downey Games

Two other candidates, which we can't even say for sure utilize standard baseball cards at all:
The Original Baseball Playing Card Game -- circa 1990s, maker unknown
"Baseball Card Baseball" Game -- circa 2000s, maker unknown

Additions and corrections to the above roster -- manufacturer/publisher, year(s) of production -- would be greatly appreciated,
as would any details on how (or how well) the cards are utilized in game-play.

Baseball Games
http://baseballgames.dreamhosters.com/
http://baseballgames.freeforums.org/

Reply with quote Back to top
ljean8080Offline
Post subject: Butch,where can I  PostPosted: Mar 05, 2016 - 05:02 PM

find these games?You can add History Maker Baseball to the list.There used to be A file in the downloads section with all the cards for Cardboard BasebALL.I wonder what happened to it

rickertOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2016 - 05:04 PM

Technically you can't add HMB to the list as you really can't play it just with baseball cards unless you also create some ratings off the stats on the card.

HoustonRulesOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 07, 2016 - 09:37 PM

Well, HMB was designed so that the gamer COULD play the game with standard baseball cards by making the ratings (as you go if necessary) and then putting the card in a sleeve and putting the ratings on a sticker on the sleeve. The ratings all (or mostly) come from stats that are on the baseball cards.
One could also do this with my baseball game of choice, Sherco Baseball Simulation, in the same manner.

Eat 'em up Coogs!

\ n / /

HoustonRulesOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 07, 2016 - 09:41 PM

...and Butch, the first game you mentioned, the Baseball Card All-Star Game, was one I had when I was a teen. The game used a two-sided chart. One side for power hitters (20+ HR in a season) and one side for non-power hitters (less than 20 HR in a season). The chart had various batting averages across the top, and the gamer would roll the dice and cross-reference the dice total with the column that came closest to the batter's batting average, and that was it--no pitching stats at all.

Eat 'em up Coogs!

\ n / /

rickertOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 08, 2016 - 12:34 PM

HoustonRules wrote:
Well, HMB was designed so that the gamer COULD play the game with standard baseball cards by making the ratings (as you go if necessary) and then putting the card in a sleeve and putting the ratings on a sticker on the sleeve. The ratings all (or mostly) come from stats that are on the baseball cards.
One could also do this with my baseball game of choice, Sherco Baseball Simulation, in the same manner.

And you could do that with any game on the planet.

HoustonRulesOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 12, 2016 - 04:43 AM

No, Rick, one couldn't. First off, one could only do this with games that allow the gamer to rate his or her own teams. Last time I checked, Strat-O-Matic and APBA, for example, weren't sharing their proprietary card-making formulas. Secondly, This could only be done with ratings that are small enough to fit on the baseball cards. Even if Strat-O-Matic and APBA shared their formulas, the card info couldn't possibly fit on a sticker that one could attach to the baseball card. Thirdly, this would need to be done, preferably, with stats available on the baseball cards. Certain ratings for other games might come from stats not readily available on the baseball cards.
So you couldn't do that with any game on the planet, just certain ones that fit the necessary criteria. HMB was specifically designed with these criteria in mind.

Eat 'em up Coogs!

\ n / /

statfreakOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 12, 2016 - 12:13 PM

Marty, I think it is just a difference in interpretation. I believe Butch is only interested in games that use the baseball cards without the need for any additional ratings. Since you have to calculate ratings, no matter how simple or small, HMB and Sherco would not fit the criteria.

Otherwise, Rick is mostly correct. Most games you could just put the baseball card and the actual game card in a card sleeve. You'd have the actual card on one side and the ratings on the other. No different than a sticker with ratings on it.

professordpOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 12, 2016 - 10:29 PM

This entire discussion reminds me of Shakespeare's play, "Much Ado About Nothing".

HoustonRulesOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 12, 2016 - 11:51 PM

You're right, statfreak, it's all just a matter of semantics. And professordp is right, it IS much ado about nothing. And Rick is correct, too--one could put the Strat (or whatever game it is) card and the baseball card into a sleeve.
If Butch was just looking for games that required no additional ratings (no matter how small), then, yes, neither HMB nor Sherco would apply.
All that being said, HMB was designed so that one could take whatever baseball cards that one had and use them to play the game as you go, adding the necessary ratings. One could only do this with Strat or APBA if one actually had all the Strat or APBA cards to go with all the baseball cards that one wanted to use.
Butch's original post referred to games that used actual baseball cards and did not require unique cards specially produced for the game. This, to me, would eliminate the possibility of Strat and APBA for this, but not necessarily eliminate HMB and Sherco, again based on the wording of the original post. With HMB and Sherco, one could make some quick ratings, slap 'em on a sticker on the sleeve, and one is good to go--using your own baseball cards to play ball, without requiring unique cards specially produced for the game.
Again, like statfreak said, it's all a matter of semantics, and the point of playing these games is to have fun!

Eat 'em up Coogs!

\ n / /

rickertOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 13, 2016 - 10:28 AM

The problem with using any baseball cards to play games is that the companies are inconsistent as to what stats they put on the card backs. Many times hitter strikeouts aren't listed.

professordpOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 13, 2016 - 03:39 PM

rickert wrote:
The problem with using any baseball cards to play games is that the companies are inconsistent as to what stats they put on the card backs. Many times hitter strikeouts aren't listed.

Rick you hit a homerun here...that's exactly the point! I also agree with you that if you start putting cards in plastic sleeves with ratings labeled onto them you ultimately lose the essence of the game.

I doubt that HMB was designed to accommodate a baseball card oriented game. I'm not too sure that Keith Avallone ever made such a claim. Of course, over the past several years, there's been an emergence of Kool-Aid drinkers who look upon him as a gaming god and hang on his every word.

In the end, the guy sells games, so I'm not certain what exactly he's intimated about HMB.

rickertOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 13, 2016 - 06:54 PM

He does list a method by which you can use baseball cards to play his game in the rulebook. But it is a loose set of rules.

Keith's standing in the sports gaming community is richly deserved. He creates solid games and his service is head and shoulders above whoever is No. 2.

ButchOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 16, 2016 - 04:39 AM

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback so far. Not to put a damper on the rest of the discussions, but statfreak correctly divined the intent in the original post
-- yes, just games that require nothing more than regular, basic, ordinary baseball cards, and whatever table or chart provided by the game
that then translates a roll of the dice or a spin of the spinner into a play result derived from the basic stats on those cards. No stickers, sleeves,
pre-game paper-and-pencil ratings -- just set up the gameboard, line up the cards and play.

CapToys' 1987 Baseball Card All-Star Game is the only one from the list above that we have, and presumably its play mechanic is fairly typical of
whatever else is out there in this genre -- there's a stand-up results table for a two-dice game, with results for each of the combined totals, 2-12.
One side has results for players with less than 20 HR, the other for players with 20 or more. Each side is divided into seven columns for various BA
ratings. That's all ya need there. Get your cards, set up the table, play.

If you're familiar with the other games on the list, do they qualify by that simple standard? Are there other such games not listed there?
Verification or corrections on publishers and dates of production are welcome too. Thanks again.

HoustonRulesOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 17, 2016 - 06:15 AM

Rick, you're absolutely right on both counts. From what I understand, the baseball card rules are in the HMB rulebook, and Keith's customer service is second to none. The games are pretty good, too.

Professordp, the reason I know that HMB was designed so that it could be played with baseball cards if the gamer wanted, is because Keith himself told me that at our little PLAAYCON get-together in Houston in June 2011, at which time he was still fine-tuning HMB. He said that initially, that was going to be a major feature that would differentiate HMB from other games on the market, but then discovered that there were other games that had or used this feature, and decided not to hype on it as much, though the option would still be there.
Also, on the bottom of the History Maker Baseball page on the plaay.com site, it states that "you can even play the game using ordinary baseball trading cards, rating the players as the game unfolds!"

Since Butch has stated that he was referring to games that did not require any additional tinkering to the baseball cards, then obviously HMB and Sherco do not qualify for that. I had the Baseball Card All-Star Game as a teen, and it is as basic as Butch says. But then again, it would have to be, for the reasons that Rick and Professordp mentioned.

Eat 'em up Coogs!

\ n / /

Jump to: