Contents
· Forums
· Our Reviews
· Search
· Web Links
· Privacy Policy

Hosted Sites
· Downey Games
There are 135 unregistered users and 0 registered users on-line.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Other Stories
· 2017 Drag Racing Available (Aug 01, 2018)
· 2018 World Cup Available (Jul 17, 2018)
· 2018 College Baseball and Softball Released (Jun 20, 2018)
· 2018 Ultra Quick Wrestling Released (Apr 24, 2018)
· RLB Classic 2018 NBA Released (Apr 19, 2018)
· POTG Basketball 2018 NBA Available (Apr 19, 2018)
· UQ Basketball 2018 NBA Available (Apr 19, 2018)
· UQ Hockey 2018 NHL Available (Apr 11, 2018)
· Final Score Hockey 2017-18 Universe Released (Apr 11, 2018)
· Downey Games 2018 Easter Sale Begins (Mar 26, 2018)
tabletop-sports.com Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
vwm85341Offline
Post subject: Data Boxing  PostPosted: Sep 07, 2012 - 10:08 AM

Has anyone out there played Data Boxing?
I would like to see some reviews and possibly comparisons between Data Boxing and Title Bout.

Thanks,
Virgil

Reply with quote Back to top
professordpOffline
Post subject: Re: Data Boxing  PostPosted: Sep 07, 2012 - 05:36 PM

vwm85341 wrote:
Has anyone out there played Data Boxing?
I would like to see some reviews and possibly comparisons between Data Boxing and Title Bout.

Thanks,
Virgil

That question is always certain to produce sparks Laughing !

Both games have strong partisans.

Sadly, access to DATA is limited to eBay for the board and the PC game is pretty difficult to come by. A little different for TBCB. The board is out of print (you can find it on eBay as a rule). The PC game can be had from OOTP (and has an excellent forum over there), but hasn't been revised in nearly five years. A new version has been promised for the past two, but there's been very little progress.

I bought both board games when they were first released in the mid-70s. DATA fans will tell you that it's highly accurate, and I generally agree (although I do think the ratings are way off for some boxers). TBCB offers many more fighters and is also accurate...although some would argue not as accurate as DATA.

DATA, of course, was created and boxers were rated by the late (great) Dr. Julian Compton who undertook an exhaustive study of the fighters included with the game.

With TBCB. the ratings are the product of a group of game owners who keep the game current with new ratings being posted literally every day.
It's pretty difficult to think a fighter who's not been rated. With the PC version you're talking about over five thousand boxers...far more than you get with DATA.

With the passing of Dr. Compton, there's not much in terms of current fighters to be had, and therefore, you're pretty much limited to rematch historical bouts and fighting "what-ifs" among boxing's all-time greats.

No doubt I'll take a great deal of heat from my "brothers" over at the TBCB forum for this, but some of these Title Bout ratings do not reflect as serious an examination of a fighter as you'll find with DATA. I have my own ratings thread there and try to gather as much information from old boxing magazines and other sources when rating a fighter. Most of the others who post ratings do the same. But there are a couple who prefer quantity over quality and pump out a few dozen a week just looking at basic data like knockouts and rounds boxed. Let me underscore this, they're the execption, not the rule

My personal preference has always been for TBCB. To me the game (both card and PC) flows smoother, and I've found DATA a little "clunky" in comparison at times. But that's just my personal view, and I'm certain that there are many DATA fans who'll take exception to this statement.

Just to put it in perspective, both games are solid and have a lot to offer, and you won't be disappointed with either one. In the final analysis, it comes down to what you're looking for in a boxing game that'll determine your choice.

Last edited by professordp on Sep 07, 2012 - 09:50 PM; edited 1 time in total

Big_CityOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 07, 2012 - 07:21 PM

I have played Data Boxing for 30-odd years and it is the best, I repeat... the best...game that I have played. I discuss why Data Boxing is my No. 1 sports game at my website.

"So I run straight to the goal with purpose in every step. I fight to win. I'm not just shadow-boxing or playing around." (I Cor. 9:26)

professordpOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 07, 2012 - 10:44 PM

Big_City wrote:
I have played Data Boxing for 30-odd years and it is the best, I repeat... the best...game that I have played. I discuss why Data Boxing is my No. 1 sports game at my website.

BC...just curious. Are there any problems running the Data PC game with the newer o/s? TBCB seems to have hit the ceiling with Windows 7. From some of the recent postings I've read in the TBCB forum, they might need to do some retooling for the game to run in Windows 8.

That's always an issue with older games and the latest o/s that comes with a new PC.

Big_CityOffline
Post subject: Data Boxing  PostPosted: Sep 08, 2012 - 08:58 PM

professordp wrote:
Big_City wrote:

BC...just curious. Are there any problems running the Data PC game with the newer o/s? TBCB seems to have hit the ceiling with Windows 7. From some of the recent postings I've read in the TBCB forum, they might need to do some retooling for the game to run in Windows 8.

That's always an issue with older games and the latest o/s that comes with a new PC.

I do not have Windows 8. I have Windows 7 and the game runs fine in that system.

"So I run straight to the goal with purpose in every step. I fight to win. I'm not just shadow-boxing or playing around." (I Cor. 9:26)

professordpOffline
Post subject: RE: Data Boxing  PostPosted: Sep 08, 2012 - 11:04 PM

I know the PC version came out about eight years ago (I guess Vista and XP were the primary o/s back then). Was there subsequently a second PC version of Data? I never owned the PC version (still have the revised early 80s board) but did play it at a freind's house about five or six years ago.

Can you play straight on Win 7 or do you have to play it through XP Virtual (like you had to do with APBA's BBW prior to the recent release of 5.75).

I know that both versions of the game were sold through Jeff's operation but are no longer offered. Besides BIg League on eBay, is the Data board game being sold elsewhere? It seems that the PC version is a very hard find these days.

Any news you can share about the future of Data?

Big_CityOffline
Post subject: RE: Data Boxing  PostPosted: Sep 09, 2012 - 02:11 PM

I have played Data Boxing on Windows 7 and Windows XP and it works fine on both. I am not aware of anything definitive on the future of Data Boxing PC, but you can stay tuned to the Dbpc site for further information and updates: http://forums.delphiforums.com/dbpc1/start

professordpOffline
Post subject: RE: Data Boxing  PostPosted: Sep 09, 2012 - 03:50 PM

Thanks!

It would be a shame to see Data go by the wayside... it's a great game!!!

Big_CityOffline
Post subject: RE: Data Boxing  PostPosted: Sep 09, 2012 - 05:16 PM

Dr. Julian Compton stated that Data Boxing is a game you can play for a lifetime. As I've stated before, I am a long-time fan of Data Boxing and the game has brought me enjoyment with my continuing replays for 30-odd years. Indeed, Data Boxing is a game I can play for a lifetime.

professordpOffline
Post subject: RE: Data Boxing  PostPosted: Sep 09, 2012 - 10:34 PM

I'm in agreement with you in the sense that I'm more interested in boxing history these days than I am in the current sport. So the lack of current boxers being rated for Data isn't a problem for me personally. I pretty much lost total interest in boxing around 1985 (I had follwed it very closely for twenty-five years), and so I too can get by simming fights from the old days.

When I bought the Data board game in the mid-70s (right around the same time I bought the Trunzo game which would evolve into Title Bout), I was more than content with just replaying classic fights and staging "what-ifs". I did stage some "contemporary" fights (circa, 1976), but mostly I found myself doing Marciano vs Walcott or Dempsey vs Tunney, etc.

Nevertheless, there are gamers who are more interested in the present fight game than they are in the historical aspect of the sport, and I'd really hate to see Data fall into the category of being an antique due to a lack of current fighters rated for the game.

Big_CityOffline
Post subject: Data Boxing Ratings  PostPosted: Sep 10, 2012 - 09:13 PM

I see what you mean about the state of boxing at the present time. That said, I have my eye on heavyweight Seth Mitchell, he's a good one
(click here to see my preview of his last bout). My main interest is classic boxing in the heavyweight division, and with Data Boxing I can stage replays all the way back to the 1880s. Regarding current boxers, I can fine tune their ratings using the reduced/enhanced efficiency procedures contained in Data Boxing.

As for rating new boxers, there is an article in the Tabletop-Sports downloads section in which Julian Compton discusses boxer ratings. To quote from the article: "Data Boxing fans request new and updated ratings for many more boxers than can be published. To satisfy the need to have more boxers and to make it possible to play with virtually any boxer, Data Boxing offers these procedures for estimating unrated boxers and adjusting boxers for the rise and fall in their careers." Click here to read the article.

Jump to: