· Search
· Web Links
· Privacy Policy

Hosted Sites
· Gary's Saddle Racing
· Legends of Boxing
· Decisive Action Sports
· Downey Games
There are 159 unregistered users and 0 registered users on-line.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Other Stories
· 2017 Thanksgiving Sale Extended 24 hours (Nov 25, 2017)
· 2017 Thanksgiving Sale at Downey Games (Nov 21, 2017)
· History of Women's World Cup Soccer Released (Nov 04, 2017)
· 2016-17 Universe Released for Downey's Final Score Soccer (Nov 03, 2017)
· Momentum Football 1968 Season Available (Oct 29, 2017)
· 2013 and 2017 President's Cup for POTG Golf Available (Oct 08, 2017)
· 2017 MLB Available for UQ Baseball (Oct 02, 2017)
· 2017 MLB Year Book released for HardBall Wars (Oct 02, 2017)
· 2017 PGA Tour Released for POTG Golf (Sep 27, 2017)
· Ultra Quick Wrestling 1960's Eastern Territory Available (Sep 22, 2017)
tabletop-sports.com Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jdowneyadminOffline
Post subject: GOAL! Football Returns with 84 Seasons Available  PostPosted: May 18, 2011 - 04:01 PM
Site Admin

Downey Games is proud to announce the release of David Steele's GOAL! Football, as well as 84 seasons for the game. Yes, you read that correctly, 84 seasons. We have launched the re-release of the game with the 1946-49 AAFC, 1959-2010 NFL, 1974 and 1975 WFL, 1983-85 USFL, 2001 XFL and the 60's through 2000's Pro All-Time Greats and the 70's through 2000's college All-Time Greats.

The re-release of David Steele's GOAL! Football is our most comprehensive project to date at Downey Games. The re-release of Dr. Steele's fantastic and easy to play game is over 3 years in the making.

As with most of our offerings, we have a Printed Version as well as an E-Book version.

You can check out all of the E-Book products here: http://www.downeygames.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5_6_136

The printed offerings are available here: http://www.downeygames.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_2_135

For those of you that may not be familiar with the original game, GOAL! was a game that was well ahead of its time. Originally released in 1972, GOAL! was one of the first games to individually rate ball handlers on the tabletop. The game was also the first to comprehensively rate college seasons. Where other games may have paid lip service by rating teams as a whole, Dr. Steele painstakingly rated each team and all of the individual skill players, which was unheard of at the time for college football.

The primary strength of GOAL! Football is it's ease of play. GOAL! Football was the first tabletop game with individual players that could be played in an hour, while keeping stats. The game also featured a unique audible system for quarterbacks. As Dr. Steele would explain in the rule book, "Every quarterback, pro or college, is more than just a line of statistics and for this reason GOAL! Football rates quarterbacks for their ability to read defenses and make big plays under pressure". As a coach, the GOAL! gamer has 3 unique rushing plays (Inside, Off Tackle and Sweep) and 3 unique passing distances (Short, Medium and Long) on offense. On the Defensive side of the ball, a coach can call for a balanced defense, a defense aimed at stopping the pass and a stacked defense to stop the ground game.

So what is new with the updated game you ask?

The primary change has been a move to Fast Action Cards compared to a random number sheets or a spinner to drive the game engine. The original game played extremely well with both methods. I do believe however, youíll find our conversion to Fast Action Cards speeds up the game and generally makes it even more playable.

Secondly, we made some slight adjustments to the ratings. Those that have the original game will immediately notice that some of the ratings for identical teams are slightly different in the updated version. We did this for a couple of reasons. For one, the game of football has changed quite a bit over the last decade on both the pro and college levels. When Dr. Steele designed the game, I donít think he envisioned a time when QBís were completing nearly 70% of their passes. Weíve made slight adjustments to accommodate all eras of football. We also added a slight normalization routine so that you can accurately play teams across eras and seasons.

Thirdly, we revamped the penalty system to bring into play teams that are penalized more or less than the league average. With the original system there was no distinction among the teams. All teams were penalized at the same rate.

Additionally, we added a QB scrambling system to bring running quarterbacks more into the game. Now scramblers like Vick, Cunningham and Tarkenton can more accurately impact a game as they did in real life.

As with other games that Iíve released, we have kept the integrity of the original game in all aspects. To me, this is really a project in preserving history. We have included the original rules and charts and have painstakingly made sure that the new Fast Action Cards are fully compatible with the original version of the game. And as Iíve done with other re-releases Iíve included a ďnostalgiaĒ booklet that includes many things from the original game. Also, wherever possible, Iíve kept original documents that are still usable for the update.

The Updated version includes:

*Complete Rules for the updated version

*192 double-sided Fast Action Cards to drive the game play, printed in full-color on die-cut cards

*A new solitaire play calling system

*The original rules just as they were printed in 1974

*The original game charts for those that prefer not to use Fast Action cards

*A nostalgia booklet that includes many original documents and charts from the first release of the game in 1972 to the last published version in 1987

* 17 Teams ready for play. The teams included are: The 2010 UFL, 1978 Dallas and 1989 Philadelphia in modern form. 1979 Houston, Tampa, Los Angeles and Pittsburgh in their original printed form (Nostalgia). The 1976 Texas and Pittsburgh college teams in their original form (Nostalgia). The 1983 Tampa, Buffalo, Los Angeles and Cleveland teams in the later computer generated format (Nostalgia)

The re-released game is very flexible for the gamer. You can use the new ratings with the original game parts, or the original game ratings with the new Fast Action Cards.

Whether you are an experienced GOAL! game player, or new to the series, I think you'll really enjoy the updated game.

Reply with quote Back to top
JDRAIDOffline
Post subject: Goal Football  PostPosted: May 18, 2011 - 08:15 PM

I am not familiar with the original game. Could you give a brief rundown of how the games plays. Perhaps an example run play and pass play. On the surface it seems to be somewhat like Mean Gene's Matchup Football - how does it compare to that one. More detailed? Less?, or just different? Also, I noticed that you have several AAFC seasons available as well as the 1959 NFL. Any chance for the some more of the 1950's NFL?

jdowneyadminOffline
Post subject: Re: Goal Football  PostPosted: May 19, 2011 - 01:21 PM
Site Admin

JDRAID wrote:
I am not familiar with the original game. Could you give a brief rundown of how the games plays. Perhaps an example run play and pass play. On the surface it seems to be somewhat like Mean Gene's Matchup Football - how does it compare to that one. More detailed? Less?, or just different? Also, I noticed that you have several AAFC seasons available as well as the 1959 NFL. Any chance for the some more of the 1950's NFL?

I'll try to explain the game in a concise manner. Keep in mind that the explanations don't really do the game justice, the game plays extremely smooth. And when you break things down in writing, sometimes that doesn't translate the same as when actually playing.

Let's start with the question about linemen and Defensive players. Goal uses a team approach for defensive ratings, although individual players register sacks and interceptions.

The Defense has 3 formations in which to choose from: Normal, Pass and Rush. There are also penalties and bonuses for the various formations, and you can key on rushers and double-team receivers. But, we'll keep it simple and discuss the normal formation for the example.

At it's heart, the game is a 50/50 split utilizing a numbering system of 1 to 32. 1 to 16 are for the offense and 17 through 32 are for the defense. There are instances where the game does NOT use the 50/50 split, and when you drill deep, you see it really isn't a 50/50 game. But, for the sake of argument, that's the best way to explain things. And that's what the gamer is going to think at first glance, anyway.

I'm also going to talk in terms of dice rolls, as that is the original game terminology. The update eliminates the dice rolls as the FACs are used. But, it's much easier to talk in terms of dice rolls for an example. To illustrate my point, the original rules were 8 pages. The updated game is 20 pages.

OK...On with the show....

A sample defense would look like this:

DEFENSE NORMAL
Inside a21 e27 f32
Off Tackle b18 c27 e32
Sweep a20 e31 f32
Short a29 c30 e32
Medium b27 c29 d32
Long b19 c25 d32
QB Sack 1

There are other factors, such as interception ability, etc. that aren't included here in the sample, but are included in the game.

A sample RB would look like this:

JOE WASHINGTON
pos HB 18*
inside a2 c3 e16
off tck b7 e8 f16
sweep b4 e15 f16

The rating system goes from a to f, with a being the best rating.

In simplest terms, we call an inside run for Washington and roll the dice. If the dice roll is 1 or 2, we use Washington's "a" rating. A roll of a 3, we use his "c" rating, a roll of 4-16, we use his "e" rating. Rolls of 17-32 come from the defense, so we look at "inside" in the defense above and see that on rolls of 17-21 we use an "a" rating, 22-27 an "e" and 28-32 an "f".

After you determine the rating to use, you flip a FAC for the result. Of course there are penalties and fumbles, etc.

But, that is a rushing play in its simplest form. Passing is similar.

Now, on the surface, this looks simple, and it is. The game is however, deeper as you play.

I've said many times, that GOAL! was ahead of its time. It's the first game that played very quickly while keeping stats. People should easily be able to play a full game in an hour.

I've kept the integrity of the original game as much as I could. I have brought the game into modern times, in terms of what people expect from a football game today. And that is definitely different from what folks expected in 1972.

The draw of GOAL! was the simple, easy to play nature, great stats, and sheer number of teams included. All of which are still true with the update.

As for more 50's seasons, yes we'll eventually get them rated. 84 seasons at launch though is a pretty good start!

indianaiceOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 19, 2011 - 02:22 PM

I remember this game pretty well, in fact I think I still have a copy of the game. I remember that the CFL was represented too....Nice little introductory package with a few teams and the 2010 UFL season. I just may pull my game out and check it out for the first time in a while.

ED

KingTigerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 19, 2011 - 05:01 PM

Jeff,

Do you pick your ball carriers or intended receivers or is the selection done automatically through the gameplay sequence.

Also, how would you rate the game for solitaire suitability?

Thanks.

statfreakOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 19, 2011 - 05:11 PM

KingTiger wrote:
Jeff,

Do you pick your ball carriers or intended receivers or is the selection done automatically through the gameplay sequence.

Also, how would you rate the game for solitaire suitability?

Thanks.
I'm not Jeff, but will give you my answers for what they are worth.

You choose to pick the rushers or receivers or have the selection done for you. Each rating sheet is double-sided allowing you to choose one style or the other.

Most of my Goal! playing has been solitaire and it is my favorite football game to play. I've also played head to head, but have played solo more often than that. There are charts available to simulate an opponent AI.

My preferred style is to control both offenses and always play against the 'Normal' defense, but there are options to play almost any style you can think of.

Hope that helps.

indianaiceOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 19, 2011 - 05:32 PM

Since I have a copy of the game already, I took the plunge and purchased the 1974 WFL (naturally). Impressed with the updated version.....if picking the runner is not your speed, you can let the game do the choosing for you, which I like. No overusing the same guy for pass receptions. Nice that both the old and new versions of the team charts are included. Now what I need to do is make a further plunge and get the game package so I can use the fast action cards, which will speed play. I do not have a spinner that goes 1-32 nor am I a fan of the random numbers chart. Then again, I can always construct a FAC deck with just numbers 1-32 and multiply that by 4.....means some shuffling but what the heck.

Again, I am willing to give this game a whirl after all these years.....Now if the CFL is rated, that will entice me even further.

Edward R. Meek

indianaiceOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 20, 2011 - 02:57 PM

Took another plunge and got the updated game since 1-32 activators are not really available unless you use the computer and random number charts are a waste of limited space.....FAC got me to make the purchase.

One question, can I print the cards in black and white rather than with colors????

Nice to see the UFL represented. With the way things go, the only professional football we will see in the fall will be the UFL. Also I hope the CFL will be represented. I had a copy of Goal Football back in the early 80's that included the NFL AND the CFL

Edward R. Meek

jdowneyadminOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 20, 2011 - 04:00 PM
Site Admin

indianaice wrote:
Took another plunge and got the updated game since 1-32 activators are not really available unless you use the computer and random number charts are a waste of limited space.....FAC got me to make the purchase.

One question, can I print the cards in black and white rather than with colors????

Nice to see the UFL represented. With the way things go, the only professional football we will see in the fall will be the UFL. Also I hope the CFL will be represented. I had a copy of Goal Football back in the early 80's that included the NFL AND the CFL

Edward R. Meek

You should be fine printing in B&W, just know the 3rd die is the "yellow" die and you'll be OK.

The CFL will come. But, I want it to be a more accurate representation. The CFL you have and that I have is really just kind of a "tack-on".

I did include the CFL field in the nostalgia section. Smile

indianaiceOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 20, 2011 - 10:31 PM

I noticed.....

Jeff, the package came out fine.....in fact, with the old charts and stuff that I had, I played a half quarter in about 10 minutes or so with the random numbers.....FAC will smooth things out with this game.....

I suggest people give this game a try. Even with just a few teams included in the basic package is worth a try.....

ED

MstrLokiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 21, 2011 - 11:28 PM

I am sure I am going to be plunking some money down, even if its just the base set to see how the game works

Cliff[/b]

indianaiceOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 21, 2011 - 11:56 PM

Game does move quick with practice. It has been almost forever since I played a football game that is play by play......I use to play the "play by play" by using a piece of paper and tracking down each play (down, yd line, yds to go, etc), because I tended to move the field from time to time with my arm.......this way I also track timing so I don't miss anything.

ED

MstrLokiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 22, 2011 - 08:19 PM

thank you for all the information, Indianaice, I am going to pick it up. I havent done play by play game in years.

Cliff

Jump to: