Contents
· Forums
· Our Reviews
· Search
· Web Links
· Privacy Policy

Hosted Sites
· Downey Games
There are 171 unregistered users and 0 registered users on-line.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Other Stories
· 2018 Game Winning Drive College Football Available (Dec 10, 2018)
· 2018 Ultra Quick College Football Available (Dec 09, 2018)
· 2018 College Available for Downey's FS Football (Dec 09, 2018)
· Downey Games 2018 Cyber Monday Sale (Nov 26, 2018)
· Thanksgiving Sale 2018 at Downey Games (Nov 16, 2018)
· UQ Baseball 2018 MLB Season Released (Nov 12, 2018)
· Three New Ryder Cup Seasons Available (Oct 12, 2018)
· 2018 MLB Released for HardBall Wars (Oct 03, 2018)
· 2018 IndyCar Racing Year Book Available (Sep 26, 2018)
· 2018 PGA Tour Released (Sep 25, 2018)
tabletop-sports.com Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BJGeorgeOffline
Post subject: Original Superstar Wrestling & Superstar Pro Wrestling G  PostPosted: Oct 09, 2009 - 07:58 PM

The Original Superstar Wrestling Game by Superstar Games (John Harwood) and Superstar Pro Wrestling Game by Super Star Game Co., seem very much alike. If anyone owns both, could you please tell me what's different about them, and which you prefer, if either.

Thanks,
B.J.

Reply with quote Back to top
Dave_BartonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 11, 2009 - 02:03 PM

Excellent question. I still have all my old cards from the 80's.

I asked this myself about 5 years ago when I first discovered this site, but didn't get a complete answer. Hopefully now, with more users, we'll get a better answer.

Worst comes to worse, we can ask at the official site for the game.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Retro_Wrestling_Games/

HoustonRulesOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 14, 2009 - 01:04 AM

Hey y'all. I'm glad you asked this, BJ, I do happen to have both games. Unfortunately, Harwood's game is not that good, in my opinion, and you're not going to get a lot of info on his game from him. He's a master of revisionist history and hopes you'll buy his game hoping it's the SPWG (which is what I did). If you go to boardgamegeek.com, there's also info on both games, but beware--Harwood talks up his OWN game on there. As for a comparison, with Harwood's game, one just rolls and does moves. I think offense and defense are done at the same time, and there's a counting down system for damage (like hit points) instead of up, and if there's no pin after a pinfall is attempted, then one just goes back up to five hit points or something like that. Plus, the total amount of damage doesn't matter. It's very clunky in my opinion. It does have a few plusses. I like how each wrestler has their own result when trying to get out of a pin, and I like the out of ring action and referee's decision (DQ) charts that are conveniently on the bottom of the box (inside). However, these things can easily be incorporated into SPWG, and then you don't have to waste your time on this garbage.
As for SPWG, the way it works is that one rolls for both wrestlers to see if they are on offense or defense (this is where the main difference in the ability of each wrestler comes in). Then one rolls for offense or defense of each wrestler, although both cannot be on defense at the same time. Each round counts as one minute of ring time. Once each round is done, if a wrestler has enough damage, then the opponent can go for a pin. The more damage that has been taken, the harder it is to kick out or otherwise break the pinfall (which is not the case in Harwood's game). Although the favorites will usually win, an underdog can win often enough to make it "realistic". It's a heck of a lot of fun and I think most of the parts are downloadable on here since the game's been out of print for years. Once one gets used to how the cards are set up, it's very easy to make your own cards for any wrestlers you want. I still have a ton of fun with SPWG and I was so happy to find it on here. I hope you find this reply satisfactory in answering your question.

Marty Klestadt

MUTTSOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 14, 2009 - 07:09 PM

I still have the prmoters dream edition of this classic....my brother and I played the heck out of it in high school. If you know the version, the names on the cards were blank and you made up names for wrestlers.

While cleaning out my folks house I came across the game and still find it fun. Now 20 years later, Id rather use the real wrestler names associated with the cards....its obvious which ones are Andre or Flair....but the majority I have no clue about. Anywhere I can find out the actual wrestler that each card corresponds with???? It would bring me back to my wrestling nostalgic era for sure.

Thanks in advance

Tony

AllenshOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 14, 2009 - 08:31 PM

Computer version here:

http://pws.berlios.de/index.html

Cool thing: you can print out the wrestler cards to a PDF file for use in the board game! (At least in XP you can...not sure if it works with Vista).

There is also a Yahoo Group with HUNDREDS of new wrestlers.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/prowrestlingsuperstargame

Allen

BJGeorgeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 15, 2009 - 08:35 AM

HoustonRules wrote:
I still have a ton of fun with SPWG and I was so happy to find it on here. I hope you find this reply satisfactory in answering your question.

Marty Klestadt

Hi Marty,

Many thanks for your reply, it clears things up. I find it odd that there are no groups or bootlegs for Harwood's Superstar Wrestling Game. I signed up to join the Yahoo group listed by Allen in his message.

Thanks,
B.J.

Dave_BartonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 15, 2009 - 10:40 AM

MUTTS wrote:
its obvious which ones are Andre or Flair....but the majority I have no clue about. Anywhere I can find out the actual wrestler that each card corresponds with???? It would bring me back to my wrestling nostalgic era for sure.

The downloadable "Pro Wrestling Superstar" game that Allensh gave the link to has all the names (although a small number of them are kinda "Well, it COULD be this guy or it COULD be this other guy...others are unmistakable). For fans of the original Superstar Wrestling Game, I give it my highest recommendation. It truly IS the old game, just computerized. It does everything for you, with the option to roll the computerized-dice yourself if you prefer.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Retro_Wrestling_Games/

Pitbull60Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 23, 2009 - 05:22 PM

I wanted to put my ten cents in. I played the Superstar Pro Wrestling Game around 1987 when I recvied in the mail. I played extensively for about three years while stationed in the Philippines. I misplaced it and never played again. I acquired the Harwood version of the Original Superstar Wrestling game and have played many hours of the basic game. I enjoyed the gameplay and the cards that I had. I bought the advanced version and have yet to play it but am extremely excited about playing it. Having played both games, I think they both have merit and I would play whichever I had. Given the choice, I think I lean more to the Original Superstar wrestling game distributed by Harwood only because I like the variety of wrestling outcomes and things to do and wrestlers that are represented. For user-friendly as far as keeping it simple but still having a good time, I would choose the Superstar wrestling which was predominatly sold inside wrestling magazines.

Jump to: